Have you ever been hoaxed by owners/people wanting to loan before?

PinkFairy

Visit site
I was thinking recently about my past experiences regarding horses/loaning/working at yards etc as I have been offered a fantastic opportunity at a yard not too far from me, but thinking of my past experiences with these kinds of offers, I have realised I have been the victim of hoax yards a few times
crazy.gif
One lady told me all about her yard, her horses and where it was, offered me the chance to ride in exchange for working at the weekends, Dad drove me everywhere around her area to find out the yard didn't exist (we asked several people for help and they had no idea what we were talking about). Second time round, I was offered a horse on loan for as long as I wanted, we'd sorted out who would pay what, time they'd come down, everything like that (lady was from Lancashire) and browsing through Google on a school project, I came across the very pictures that were sent to me of the loan horse, to find that the horse was actually located in America and was a project horse after being caught wild, and was in no way ready to be ridden. Lady never replied to my findings, and that was the end of that. There have been a couple of others, but it makes me incredibly wary of people, and at the moment I'm starting to worry that the offer I have had, is another hoax
crazy.gif
I know that people can also claim to be riders, and want to loan, but are just wasting time of owners etc, so I'm not trying to tar horse owners in any way, shape or form. Has anyone else ever experienced this?? I just wonder what makes people do it, it's such an incredible let down for those who are in need/looking. (Hence my Orpington post in the SB the other day, was hoping someone could reassure me!) Sorry for the rambling
blush.gif
Cookies for everyone
grin.gif

ETA Disclaimer - I feel like I'm snooping really, by asking questions like these, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful (you have no idea how much I appreciate the offer
grin.gif
) but I'm very very wary after past experience, so really just want to protect myself. The lady does sound quite lovely, and I don't wish to offend anyone by asking. Sorry if this does offend etc.

ISHmad

Visit site
I've successfully loaned three horses in the past and have also loaned out two of my own horses all without any problems. Sounds like you have had a run of bad luck. Shame people haven't got anything better to do than get your hopes up like that but there you are.

Let's hope this one turns out to be just perfect and works well for all parties.

dixie

Visit site
There certainly are some strange people out there but there are also some lovely people too,

From my side of the coin, I loaned my horse out to a girl who told me she had a job with local hospital. I checked the yard, twice. Had her ride him at my place 3 times. When I visited him it turned out she had never been employed, lived about 5 miles away and had no transport and she had been galloping and jumping my horse in a tiny deep arena -when no jumping was allowed AND he was now lame.

Why people feel the need to lie is beyond me.
confused.gif

It sounds like you've the experience to check out this current offer and make the right decision. Fingers crossed its suitable.
smile.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
Thanks ISH_Mad, I appreciate that
smile.gif
I still can't shake that feeling that it could well be another hoax
crazy.gif
It sounds perfect, and not something I want to pass up, so I'm trying not to pin my hopes up too high, but then I'm also quite excited at the prospect!

genie

Visit site
I would never ever loan a horse to anybody.far too many pitfalls from what I can see and if I was looking for a horse, I would have to pay for it then it was mine..nobody could come and take it away or use you to pay and look after it for them whilst it was convenient for them.

Plenty people do loan, heard too many stories where it went pear shaped....in fact, more horror stories re loaning than good endings.

PinkFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There certainly are some strange people out there but there are also some lovely people too,

From my side of the coin, I loaned my horse out to a girl who told me she had a job with local hospital. I checked the yard, twice. Had her ride him at my place 3 times. When I visited him it turned out she had never been employed, lived about 5 miles away and had no transport and she had been galloping and jumping my horse in a tiny deep arena -when no jumping was allowed AND he was now lame.

Why people feel the need to lie is beyond me.
confused.gif

It sounds like you've the experience to check out this current offer and make the right decision. Fingers crossed its suitable.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How awful for you
frown.gif
Hope he's much better now? Some people get their kicks from some awful things IMO.
crazy.gif

dixie

Visit site
He is better now thanks
smile.gif
. But I need to find him a loan home as I'm going abroad for a year. However, I'm going to try to find someone who'll keep him at my mothers yard and I'll pay the costs if need be - you would think there would be someone nice out there suitable.

On a brighter note I've just returned a loan horse (due to reasons above). He was superb. I had him from May 08 to July 09 and we did really well in everything and had a lovely busy time dressaging, eventing and jumping. I had a blast on him and the owners are pleased because he's now got some competition experience and is a much more confident horse.
laugh.gif

There are genuine people out there, its just finding them thats the problem. Let us know how you get on.

PinkFairy

Visit site
QR

That sounds like a great opportunity for someone out there
laugh.gif
Good to hear you had a great time with the loan horse, hopefully I can also have a success story to share. I have had two other offers (not including the Orpington one) so if it *is* a hoax, then at least I have something else on the table to consider.
laugh.gif
Am feeling quite overwhelmed by the offers really, it seemed to be going painfully slow finding something that seemed right and ideal, then three came along at once!
laugh.gif

Scribbles

Visit site
I have loaned a few times, but it has just been from friends, so I'm not sure if it counts. My horse is also currently on a half loan - I have found a girl to come ride him during the week, and she seems lovely
smile.gif

It's like everything in life, there's always going to be something/someone with a bad experience, but generally the good outweighs the bad
smile.gif
To say things like "I'll never loan" is just daft. I ordered a sabre noseband which arrived in the wrong size, so I just sent it back, I didn't say "omgz sabre is rubbish I'll neva buy from them again".

PinkFairy

Visit site
QR

I'd never say never, I'm too eager to start riding again, I miss it so very much. But it's just offputting when you have bad experiences of your hopes falling to pieces when someone plays a nasty trick on unsuspecting people.
crazy.gif

hellspells

Visit site
I have never had a loan experience like your PF - quite surprised why people go to the effort - some people are mad!!

But good things do happen! I put my pony on loan through here two months ago - I wasn't planning on loaning her but there was a post saying how upset this person was as the loan pony for her daughter was suppose to have arrived but the people backed out at last min after lots of searching etc! I feel lucky to have found these people for Angelica, I get regular updates on her, speak to person a couple of times a week (twice via facebook already today) and my last update 10mins ago was she had just won prettiest pony!!

There are genuine people out there PF - and if there wasn't a big stretch of water in the way you'd be more than welcome at ours to ride the beasts!!!

PinkFairy

Visit site
Aw thanks Hellspells
grin.gif
I think I'm building myself up to be let down, so am creating more and more worry in my mind. *Breathes deeply* (see my post about postcodes in the SB and you'll see why
wink.gif
).

hellspells

Visit site
So like me PF - I always build myself up for the worst.

Getting off the boat with the pony - I was driving up there thinking there was going to be no one there and I come all this way for nothing!!! Didn't help when I got a bit lost and there was no mobile signal
tongue.gif

f_s_

Visit site
I hope you find a horse to loan, and a good reasonable owner
grin.gif

I've just read this post with shivers!!! We have just decided that we will loan my daughter's horse not sell her. The only stipulation is that she stays at our yard for the first three months with her loaner, as I want to make sure that horse and rider really gel, and are for each other!! Now, I'm beginning to think, maybe we should just sell her, as people may not like this!!!

We have good facilities and a nice quiet yard, so I thought it wouldn't be too much to ask just for a short time.
frown.gif
frown.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
QR

Hellspells - We must be long lost sisters
tongue.gif
I reckon we'll end up without a signal and lost too! LOL
grin.gif

f_s_ - I wouldn't resolve to selling her altogether, give it a go, I'm sure there'll be lots of people wanting to snap that opportunity up
smile.gif
Please don't let this post put you off
frown.gif

hellspells

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
QR

Hellspells - We must be long lost sisters
tongue.gif
I reckon we'll end up without a signal and lost too! LOL
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be right you know!!! I always wanted a sister
tongue.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I put my TB mare on sort of a loan when she was about 6yrs old and I moved away to do a year at uni.
She was on full livery, which I paid for, and I also paid her costs; I just wanted someone to ride her and pay her some attention.
I found an older lady - went to watch her ride in a local riding school where she had lessons, then she came to meet my mare.
The only hiccup was that, as my mare is Tb, this lady had a bee in her bonnet that it might cart her home, or bolt with her - she made me trot her away from and back towards home endlessly.
grin.gif

Once we had established my mare was not likely to leg it
tongue.gif
, the loan worked beautifully for me, my horse, and the lady.
I am thinking of doing something similar with one of my youngsters, but, like you, people are either very suspicious, or think they are doing you a huge favour by riding (which, in some ways they are, but equally you are lending them a free horse).
S
grin.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
QR

Hellspells - that's it then, we are sisters
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Shilsadair - Unfortunately, I can't help feeling a little suss about it, I wish I didn't but as I say, past experience has not taught me otherwise. I am aware of the fact that not all cases are like this, and I'm sure the good loan stories outweigh the number of bad ones, but so far, I have yet to tell of a good one
grin.gif
Fingers crossed that will change on Thursday!!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
QR

Hellspells - that's it then, we are sisters
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Shilsadair - Unfortunately, I can't help feeling a little suss about it, I wish I didn't but as I say, past experience has not taught me otherwise. I am aware of the fact that not all cases are like this, and I'm sure the good loan stories outweigh the number of bad ones, but so far, I have yet to tell of a good one
grin.gif
Fingers crossed that will change on Thursday!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't 'having a go' at you - you seem to have met more than your fair share of weirdos.
grin.gif

It is true though, that when I try to find someone to share/ride my youngster, they will immediately assume she's a nutter/it's a scam/she is lame/I am a nutter.
In reality she's very polite (so far - I may change my mind when she's broken!), with good blood lines, and quite good conformation, and it's because I like her so much I wouldn't sell.
S
grin.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
QR

Shilsadair - Lol
grin.gif
I'm probably worrying over nothing, Thursday will tell though. I hope you find someone for your youngster though
grin.gif

E_Lister

Visit site
My experiences are almost all positive, so I will tell you a few of them to try and put your mind at rest.

I made friends with a girl at school who used to tell me all about her 3 horses all the time. She invited me to ride one day and although it took me and my father a while to find her farm, we did in the end. I rode one of her horses regularly for 3 years and we are still best friends now, 7 years later.

When we went to look at a new horse which we were thinking of loaning (that I was going to share with someone else) we got lost and took over an hour to find their yard, the mobile number we had been given had a number wrong and the instructions to get to the yard could have been in turkish for all the use they were. But, when we finaly got there there was the horse and two lovely and caring ladies wanting only to find her a great home.

The lady I was sharing with then bought this horse as she was perfect, we were even told she hadn't had a day of lameness in the 8 years they had owned her (living literally in the shadow of the best equine vets around us). When the horse arrived at our yard, the first thing she did was go seriously lame in one of her back legs. We panicked, thinking we had been hoaxed, however when we rung the old owner she was mortified and agreed to pay half of the vets bills, even though she didn't need to because she felt so bad!

(These are only 3 examples of good things that could so easily have been hoaxes!)
Don't worry, stay confident, and if all goes pear shaped don't forget that you are far, far better than anybody who thinks a good way to spend their time is to get someone elses hopes up with lies...
Good luck!

PinkFairy

Visit site
QR

Thank you E_Lister - I'm remaining positive, and am looking on the bright side that even if it *is* a hoax, I do have other offers I can follow up.
grin.gif