Have you ever bought a horse without your OH knowing?!

kc100

Visit site
Not that I'm actually going to do that, but......I might be going to look at a yearling tomorrow and it may well happen that my OH doesnt actually know I'm going to see him ;)

OH is horribly annoying saying we need to save up for a house and other boring things, but I work 3 jobs and have more than enough to have said yearling on grass livery for a few years while he grows up and then money left over to save for boring grown up things like houses.

Why cant men understand that horses are far more interesting than houses?!

Grrr must try to bargain with owner so hard that he will be such a bargain even OH would say I'd be mad not to have him!

WelshD

Visit site
Yes. Ive waved my hubby off at the door them promptly jumped in to my car viewed a pony and had it delivered before hubby came home from work

I wouldnt have done it if i felt he would not have been ok with it though.

showpony

Visit site
There was major strops thrown by my oh when I mentioned buying a second... Horse was bought and that was end of it lol. I work bloody hard to afford it and neither he or family life hasn't been financially affected by it.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
My OH & I have been together for 18 years, we have completely separate money, and both contribute equally to the house/bills etc....but I'd still never buy a horse or incur any other major expenditure without his input & advice. If it were something that important to me, he would back me all the way, but equally if it was going to adversely affect our lives, it's not something I would even consider doing.

teasle

Visit site
This does raise questions about your relationship. If he wants to buy a house with you, he is showing comitment and planning his future with you. What do you want?

NZJenny

Visit site
Not myself personally, but I have "hidden" one in my paddock for a week or two until it could be sneaked into a friends back paddock. Apparently "he" never went down there, and had no idea how many horses there should be anyway.

Patterdale

Visit site
How would you feel if you wanted to save for something like a house with your partner and he went out and bought a money eating machine because 'he wants it so he's going to have it'?

If he had posted here I think there would have been some very different replies.....

Ftr, I would not make such a big purchase without discussing it with OH. Not because he's my 'boss,' but because he's my partner in life.

Foxy O

Visit site
I would never buy another horse without my husband knowing we share all our money and he also helps look after the horses, so if ever I wasn't working he would cover the costs of the horses. Besides even I think 2 is enough when you have to get up really early to go to work anyway :)

neweventer

Visit site
I wouldn't dream of it. I have to much respect for my partner.
If my partner were to do that knowing we were saving for a house then that would be the end of the relationship. I think it shows a serious lack of judgment

maresmaid

Visit site
I wouldn't buy another horse without telling my husband, but before I was married if I wasn't actually living with my partner I don't think I would have felt the need to consult him before buying a second horse that I could afford to buy and keep with my own money, but I would have been honest about my priorities when it came to discussing purchase of a house.

Last edited:

Clare85

Visit site
How would you feel if you wanted to save for something like a house with your partner and he went out and bought a money eating machine because 'he wants it so he's going to have it'?

If he had posted here I think there would have been some very different replies.....

Ftr, I would not make such a big purchase without discussing it with OH. Not because he's my 'boss,' but because he's my partner in life.

This. Completely.

buddylove

Visit site
I have tended to do all the research and online horse shopping first and then get him involved when I have found what I am looking for! We have acquired 4 horses/ponies in our 7 years of marriage and whilst he has never said no he is the voice of reason when I need it!!

sychnant

Visit site
No, because I don't have a partner!

However, when I moved to Wales with the horses at home, I was very nervous the first time my mum came to visit. She knew I had one horse... actually I had four :p (I'd had enough of an earbashing about "how do you afford it" with one, so just collected quietly. Luckily when she saw four in the field I think she just gave in, and doesn't bother to tell me off any more!)

Yes, I'm 40. My mum is still scary :D

rainer

Visit site
I wanted a pony for our daughter (+myself lol) and he sort of did know I was looking,arranged to go see charlie and did tell him and then when I went to see him we put a deposit down on him and when I came home I told him that we were having him :) he had no choice really lol so he did know but just went along with it although he had said previously we would never have one etc he even collected him for me :) and he's been so good at helping with him especially over winter. He says no to a 2nd and currently we can't afford another anyway but we will see in a year or 2!

Copperpot

Visit site
OH would never say no anyway so I always talk to him about things I'm planning on getting.

I did go to try one horse and he said don't buy it until you've spoken to me. However I did buy it and told the Master that OH would drop a cheque off to him at hunting the next day.

He didn't really mind. He knew I was trying the horse, it was his idea and he had offered to buy him if I liked him.

EventingMum

Visit site
Not any "personal" ones but I have with ones for my business which is rather different. The personal ones, in the last 20 years, have all been for our son and OH has been fully involved. I do have a friend who has bought several without her husband's knowledge and even bought a lorry - she deliberately doesn't tell him till after she gets them home and has sometimes waited months as they are kept at livery and he shows no interest in visiting. I think it makes a huge difference if finances are there and the purchase and keep of a horse make little difference to the bank balance - sadly we're not in that position!

PorkChop

Visit site
No I wouldn't, why would it be necessary? I would be upset if my husband made a decision like that without speaking to me first, not about the spending of the money, the fact that he didn't want to discuss it with me.

dornrose

Visit site
Yes I bought a little welsh sec A without running it past him first. The idea was I was going to bring her on and sell her, he came home from work and as usual looked at all the noses over the door and came in and said we appear to have a new pony!! I think if I ever try to sell her on he'd buy her!!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Never. He talks to me about any possible major purchase, I could never go and do something like that to him. We have no money secrets at all! Our money goes into a joint account for both of us, I'd be full of guilt if I went ahead and did something like that.

I have friends who I know do it and have secret credit cards etc but I couldn't live like that, I'm afraid the relationship would be over if I got that point! Our marriage is strong because of trust and respect, we don't need to lie to make things better.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
sort of. There was an Exmoor colt going (so very cheap) and I had asked OH who said 'it wasn't the best idea ever'. I took that as a yes and went and picked up the colt while OH was in Vegas on a conference. announced it on FB. we already had a house though and were pretty much sorted-with no extra livery to pay as I rented land. it wasn't fair of me and he said a couple of years later he'd been pretty cross about it although he never really let on to me at the time. He got over it pretty quick and is a big fan of the pony but I wouldn't do it again.

Echo24

Visit site
My OH & I have been together for 18 years, we have completely separate money, and both contribute equally to the house/bills etc....but I'd still never buy a horse or incur any other major expenditure without his input & advice. If it were something that important to me, he would back me all the way, but equally if it was going to adversely affect our lives, it's not something I would even consider doing.

This. I have been tempted by some horses when browsing online but I would never purchase one without his input and thought. He respects me enough to know horses mean the world to me and it wouldn't be fair for me to go behind his back and get another, (although it could easily be done since he never comes to the yard anyway and would never know!)

noodle_

Visit site
i wouldnt no.... purely as of trust -

Curently single and have a secret horse from the parentals.... i havent lied - just not told them....:D

my dad hates horses as i had a bad fall a few years ago... so its just easier for him not to know - so to me im doign him a favour :D

i am 25 but where horses are concerned it will never be acceptable to have one even though i pay for her!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
no, never have and never will, unless i want a load of grief and a divorce! I would be really peed if he went out and made a major purchase like that without my knowledge so wouldn't do it to him.

Follysmum

Visit site
No as we make horse purchases together. We discuss then look. I can't understand why you would if you live together anyway