Have you ever considered giving it all up...

claribella

Visit site
I always always go through this in winter when it's rubbish weather and you can't do a lot but then I get my first sunny spring hack and it all seems worth it!

happyhacking:)

Visit site
i am seriously considering atm. Not completely but thinking about quitting riding for a bit and having horses that i can ride. Why because my mare (whom i ride) has been very poorly on and off since mid feb and she is now going into the vets for more tests on her gut. if they find something wrong (which is likely) then she will most likely be pts as we are running out of money for treatment. if i do lose her this just leaves me with my yearling whom obviously i cant do much with atm.

so if i do loose her i will pay my youngsters livery bill upfront for a few months. Quit my job and go off travelling. My mate has already agreed to have the little one for a while and i need the break to sort my head out. i will however return to it when i come back.

AbbeyandApache1

Visit site
Sometimes I am a bit unsure (like In mid-winter running round in the mud after an ungrateful oaf ;)... :D) but as soon as I get on again it's all been worth it- there's a sudden connection.... And all is well in the world and he is no longer an oaf he's my beautiful practically perfect baby!!!! And at those moments I just know I could never give it up... I'm addicted... :D hope you sort it all out xxx

JFTDWS

Visit site
regularly when the weather's awful, the field's a mud bath and the horses are either out of work due to lack of facilities / time etc or when one of them is being unusually pig-headed. It never lasts long. I threaten one of them with the glue factory and suddenly they behave like angels again, and eventually the weather improves ;)

Shantara

Visit site
Yes! When horse decided he wasn't going to leave the yard...an hour and a half of trying!!! I was so close to tears, I just wanted to scream and throw the rope on the floor and leave!
I sat on the mounting block and looked at him. He had such a pathetic look in his eyes, I just had to hug him.

Flame_

Visit site
Never. I'm always looking forward to some new random goal in the distant future, no matter what a rubbish day/week/year I might be having if I stopped to think about it. :cool:

Star_Chaser

Visit site
Yes. I had a serious injury in my early twenties and was basically told horse riding was no longer an option for me. I had two on retirement that stayed at my parents home so it was not the end of the world but my horse at the time I made the decision to walk away from and let my sister have him. I took up a new hobby a few years later in dogs and stuck with that until last year when I returned to horses albeit through my child. I am now pony less again due to a poor loan circumstance not due to the pony who was ideal for us as a family.

I cannot ride myself but I gain a great deal of pleasure with the care and being around horses again as well as through my childs pleasure. Was it the right decision? At the time yes although my sister was a great option for my horse it was not easy to watch her doing what I myself would have loved to have done. I probably would not have met my husband if I had still been following my passion for horses as they are time consuming.

violethillx

Visit site
I've had two two/three year breaks, both because my parents sold my horse/ended the loan agreement and being a teenager I was too heartbroken to look for another horse because I just wanted my old one! :( Probably did me some good to have a break for a few years, it's only made me more determined and dedicated now I think x

youngfarmer

Visit site
I considered it from January until September of last year, as I broke my back and was told that I could paralyse myself if I ever rode again. I wore a back brace from January until May so wasn't able to do anything with horses then anyways, but I had a lot of thinking time! I decided to sit on a horse not long after having the brace off and knew that however I felt then would make my decision. Over a year on and I don't regret sticking with it at all- even with what the doctors have said! For all I know, a car accident or a fall down the stairs could leave me with the same fate, so I'd rather carry on doing what I love and what I have always wanted to do than wrap myself in bubble wrap and worry about what ifs. My family have even said that they reckon if I'd been paralysed there and then that I probably would have still found a way to ride ha!

Troyseph

Visit site
Yes, very often back a few years ago! Mostly because I was a teen, yard was 6 miles away parents couldn't always give lifts had to rely on Cornish buses and walking 2 miles from closest bus stop to yard!

Last straw for me was my ex fiancée ending it all abruptly and I sank into depression, sold my then horse an gave it all up completely until on a crazy whim a year ago I decided I wanted another!!! After being horseless for 2 years a piece of me was missing,

My horses are now at home with us so no travelling etc. very lucky really, and in the last year have I ever thought about packing it all in??

Nope! Not once. It's just too brilliant now! And I have my dream horse ;) which helps no end!!!!!!

Sarah_K

Visit site
Yeah, considering it right now. My horse had to be pts a couple of months ago and I'm not sure I have the heart to get another. I'd had her for 22 years so it's left quite a big hole that I can't think about filling yet. Thats all quite apart from the fact that I haven't even sat on a horse for 4 years (my old mare damaged a ligament so couldn't be ridden and was retired).

My sister has a couple of ponies so I can get a horsey fix if I need one, even if it's just giving them a brush and poo picking. :)

Shettie

Visit site
Yes, currently at the moment, debating on just giving up.
Had an accident 9months ago and having to have more surgery soon, Iv'e got 10% movement left currently and after surgery be lucky to have 60% at the max left in my ankle and if I fall off again then buggered basically.

cowboylover

Visit site
Yes I did, I had a gorgeous ride and drive cob who was perfect for me and bombproof but I lost my nerve after a road accident not horse related and I couldn't face riding anymore. It broke my heart but was the right thing to do.

I missed having a horse to fuss over but not the riding.

10 years later my niece has started riding for 2 years and was in a local show jumping competition. I stood watched with my non horsey husband and I was bitten by the bug! I just couldn't think about anything else but riding and trying to get to a competitive level again! So I'm back to the lessons and I love it

merlinsquest

Visit site
I have given up completely :(

My husband walked out a year ago next month and in a total knee jerk reaction I put an ad up for merlin and he sold within 12 hours!!! A bit late to change my mind then :(

As it turns out it was a fantastic home for him (wouldnt have sold otherwise) and I havent missed riding at all.... I had only ridden a few times a year for the previous two years due to lack of time and a foot injury.....

I dont regret selling at all, havent ridden since despite being offered several rides by friends and think it was all for the best.

I have different hobbies now and am happy and far richer (in a poor kind of way)

I dont miss the husband either ;)

Chestersmummy

Visit site
I have done a few times. Mainly forced through lack of horses but it made me so depressed.
Then when a horse I went to try bolted with me. It made me feel like such a rubbish rider that I told mum I was never riding again.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
its on the cards, several reasons.
One is financial, I started with big pot of cash and it has all gone. Cost has gone up in five years from a £1000 to £3000.
Bad luck....... several times over so it has been fairly traumatic, several times, rather than a pleasant fun leisure activity.
Accidental injury [not horse related] means I really should not ride in case I fall off.
Lack of facilities, the yards round here all have a major drawback, either they don't suit me or they don't suit the horse!
Lack of social interaction, it is part of my social life, but this has not really worked out particularly well.

Ali27

Visit site
I stopped riding when I was 18 when I went to uni. My pony went on loan and stayed with the family until he died at the age of 25. I then took up windsurfing and then rode the odd friend's horse. My daughter started riding lessons with the army pony club in Germany ( my husband was posted there) and when we moved back to the UK when she was 7, we bought her her first pony. Within 6 months of running beside her during hacks, I decided to get my mare ( I was 30 by then). I have had her nearly 10 years now and couldn't imagine life without my horse! My next goal is to get a property with land! My daughter has a different pony now and when she goes to uni in two years time, I will look after her too. Her old pony is out on loan and will eventually come back to us too! Although it was nice having a break when I was younger, no way would I give up horses now!

DougalJ

Visit site
In the early days when my horse was a pain and trying it on, the cost in getting everything he needed as he came with nothing and the shock to the system of the first winter having a horse, wading through mud in the dark in the pelting rain. Yes it did cross my mind to give it all up but not now and having my horse is a huge part of my life. A friend of mine gave up her horse about a year or so ago due to work and family commitments. Anyway that lasted 6 months and she went and bought another horse and wouldn't give it up again :)

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I rode/ owned/loaned my whole life and then gave up for four years because I was doing my A-levels then went to uni and had other stuff gonig on. But there wasn't a day went by that I didn't feel lost and want to bury my face in a horses neck or ride.

Been back into it now for four years and yes it's hard sometimes but I would never consider giving it up again. Lol, what on earth would I do with all that free time and money :eek::D

To be fair, I'm not one of these horsey people that has NOTHING in their lives apart from horses though, I have a good social life etc outside of it, although to be fair a lot of my friends are horsey.

But no, unless I was forced to I love it too much and the drive to do dressage and competes keeps me motivated.

diluteherd

Visit site
There has been one time I was without a ride. My mare had been pts and I just had a youngster. It got to the point I was so desperate to ride I booked lessons at a local rising school. Afterwards they asked me to come back and school their horses for them for free! Lol.

I know have 6, I commute in total 3 hours a day to uni, i decided to do a very demanding course (physiotherapy believe it or not its not all about massage!! Lol) I also work so I can support my horses.

The only time I think about giving it all up and selling them is when I can't take much more grief from my family for having horses. But then I sit and I think if it did all get just too much I'd quit uni and rent a massive field for them all to go in. Horses have taken me from anorexia back to health and from a major borderline disorder to being happy healthy and a never happier. Without them I would probably not even be here.

BBH

Visit site
I am giving it all up at the moment.

Am wanting a break from the constant juggling and prefer time with the dogs than the horses.

I like having horses around me but at the moment want a break from them.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I have been tempted a couple of times over the last year -

1) when I did my back in and almost ran out of money
2) because I hate my yard and was struggling to find another one
3) because there are times when I barely have time to do anything with them, and am so tired when working extra shifts - 40 hours in 3 days over Jubilee with 2 horses on DIY wasn't fun!

Hopefully things are sorted now - am back at work so not worried as much about money, have found a lovely new yard which is Assisted DIY for same price as paying now so have help if I need it.