Have you ever looked at an advert and knew you were buying the

Leo Walker

Visit site
The title should read:

Have you ever looked at an advert and knew you were buying the horse regardless?

I'm quite hardheaded and dont very often get an attack of the fluffy bunnies. No offence to anyone that does :)

But I was talking to the lady who owns an ex horse of mine tonight. From the second I saw his advert I KNEW I was having him. The seller was a huge PITA, I put a lot of effort into actually getting to the point where I viewed him! There were loads of red flags about the horse I bought, but I was buying him and that was that. I refused to listen to reason as I just didnt care! He was actually supposed to be on loan, but then the owner decided at the last minute that she wanted to sell, and literally 20 seconds before she called I had opened a letter from the tax man telling me about a rebate which was the exact purchase price of the horse in question! So I bought him. He was totally suitable for me and we were very happy for a couple months.

Then I got a sharer. Obviously a huge coincidence, but from that point onwards he did things that made him horribly difficult for me to keep, but those issues werent an issue for my sharer. Long story short, but hes been gifted to her. I felt horribly guilty for a while, but she adores him and they are just a perfect match and it makes me so happy every time I think about it.

I put no stock in karma and all that sort of stuff, but there has only been 3 occasions of buying horses where I get that total gut instinct from a photo and wont listen to reason! One was the horse in question, one was a cob that was bred by gypsies and was kept as an entire and on a tether for 7 years of his life. I took him on and lost him after 6 months, but I still feel happy that he had a few months of a good life with me :) And the other is my current horse.

I've had lots of horses that I adore, but that pull hasnt happened very often! So after my chat tonight, I'm wondering if other people feel the same or if I just need sectioing :lol

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
There is a point in horse ownership when we all could be a case for sectioning tbh!!!

My first horse was purchased from an ad I saw on CHL. It was further than we were really looking but I knew he was the one for me. From the moment I set eyes on him he WAS going to be mine. :)

My latest acquisition wasn't advertised, I rang the owners if they were interesting in selling her. After speaking to the owner and doing some research I should have just taken the trailer with me when I went to view. :)

Last edited:

Orca

Visit site
I had a deposit on another pony - then I saw Orca's ad. Nuff said!

Actually, the oddest thing was that though she was scared of humans and relatively unhandled (and on paper, wasn't what I should be buying!), on meeting me, she buried her head in my chest and just stood there, resting and telling me in every way she could that she was mine. Definitely, absolutely a case of 'meant to be'.

The owners of the pony I had a deposit on were messing me around anyway but either way, there was something about Orca. I *had* to go and meet her and I *had* to bring her home. I knew it and so did she. I've never had a horse speak so clearly to me :) (how's that for crazy :D)

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes three times and two of those I bought unseen I was so sure. They have all been totally wonderful and I haven't had that feeling and not bought it or had it turn out badly.

Farcical1

Visit site
I have one to see this week that I really like the look of. It's already out competing at a level above where I would be riding, so I know it can do what I want. My riding instructors comment on the advert was that she was keen for me to go and see it!
I'm probably going to see it in my horse lorry. We only have one car in our household and my husband will be using it that day. How do I resist the temptation to just put it in the lorry and bring it home???

Flame_

Visit site
Yes! I saw photos of my new horse in the field and thought, that horse is far far too nice for me. So went to view him even though he'd been turned away off work, on a windy day where he was as exceptionally lovely looking as in the photos but quite negative about wearing tack and then he inexplicably kicked out at me at the start of a trot up. I told myself to be sensible and return when he was back in work if I was still looking and he was still for sale. i saw a couple of other horses and knew I was wasting my time and theirs because I wanted the horse I'd already seen, so I went back, had him vetted and bought him. He is such a lovely boy, I am very lucky to have him!!

sychnant

Visit site
Yes, 3 times! A 5 month old Sec C colt, a 5 yo Gypsy cob, and an 11 yo TB type. Every time I have viewed a horse, I have bought it. And I've rarely been actually looking for one! They seem to find me. Hasn't gone wrong yet...

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I had the opposite experience, I went to view a horse that on paper was nothing like I wanted. He was a he, I wanted a mare, he was chestnut, not my favourite colour and he was a tb x standard bred, I wanted a cob and to top it all he was the plainest looking horse I had ever seen. I got on him and he was the best schooled horse I have ever had the privilege to ride. He was push button perfect but I walked away because of all of the above and went on to buy my very handsome bay sect d who is a complete numpty and hard work to enjoy! I regret every day not buying that chestnut, ugly horse because I am sure I would still be riding now instead of looking at my beautiful cob who I just can't summon up the desire to get on him.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Yes as soon as I saw his ad I wanted him. He sounded perfect and I couldn't believe he was still for sale. His owner told me all of his bad points and that made me want him more as I liked the idea they weren't just selling a perfect horse.

Archangel

Visit site
Yes, a very unassuming advert. Bay 13.3, make good all-rounder WHP rising 4. I knew he was the one and I was right - what an all-round superstar. I lost him just a couple of months shy of his 37th birthday.

Next one - Big moving bay broodmare for lease. Knew she was the one too, she came on a 2 year lease but ended up staying until she was pts age 30.

The one I was so very wrong on! = recovering after serious neck injury "rock steady good in all ways" - lucky my neck was stable as I was chucked off on my head that many times! He is now retired - the great big hooligan monster horse.

_OC_

Visit site
Yep....after the loss of my last horse....had current horse details sent to me.....did not view any other horses just knew I was buying him......provided he past vetting......ten years on I can't complain he was every thing as described.
Erm........Lucky me :p

fathorselover

Visit site
Yes. One photo in advert and owners had a bout 2 other photos to send me before viewing- but I was sold from 1st pic. Viewed and bought, didnt vet either, exactly what I wanted, black quite flashy looking fast tb x welsh type (unknown breeding)9yo 14.3 mare with the thrill factor but hasn't put a foot wrong really- paid £800 which I think was a bargain as she's a cracker! I'm aware that it could have gone so so wrong but I've had her nearly a year now- we've hunted a couple of times this winter and I took her to the beach yesterday for the first time and survived- love my little mare!

kassieg

Visit site
Not off advert cause she wasnt advertised but i drove down the dealers drive & saw her head & thought she's the 1 ! The dealer showed us everything but her but I was determined even though he'd only had her a week & knew she was a bitch! God love 13 year old headstrong kids :D

My last mare I saw her ad & knew for the price if she was what she looked on the advert I wouldnt be walking away without her & I didn't. I said I'd think about it, got half way home & rang them, playing it cool!

Actually thinking about it I'm pretty decisive from the ads, I seem to have a good eye from the ad so I've pretty much bought everything I've seen

crazycorkey

Visit site
The opposite happened to me recently with my newest chap.
I had spent the day viewing various horses but had one to go that I wasn't particularly fussed about.
Well as soon as he looked over the stable door I knew he was going to be mine. His moustache was just too amazing to miss!
I wanted something no bigger that 15'2hh and ended up with a 16.1hh tank of a cob. He is perfect.

Orca

Visit site
... I said I'd think about it, got half way home & rang them, playing it cool!

I did this with Orca! The pull to have her was so strong that I tried to make myself be rational. Despite our instant connection, I forced myself to scrutinise her (fortunately, she passed with flying colours!), then told the owners I'd be in touch. I made it maybe a third of the way home before screeching to a halt in a layby and calling them up :D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Going to see one today, I so want!!! :D

Taking my sensible head in a suitcase!

Ooh, tell me more! Another cob?

I was brought two to try-YO knew the dealers. The first was a beautiful Appaloosa type warmblood, but the vet happened to be passing and saw me trotting, promptly diagnosed a check ligament issue. The second one was a fab whizzy pony, but chestnut, I have an irrational dislike of the colour. The dealer said he'd been unable to catch the coloured cob he also wanted to sell. I hadn't even seen it and I knew I wanted him. He'd never been in an indoor school, was green as grass. I loved him! Bought him mid way through the week's trial after a successful 5 stage.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I knew from the inch square picture less advert in admag that I would have my mare for life. 14 years later and I worship the ground she trots on

Hexx

Visit site
Yes - I knew from the ad he was going to be good.

I walked into the yard and into the barn and there he was, looking over the door. My sister said my face just lit up and she knew there and then that he was coming home, regardless! He was everything I was looking for and I was smitten.

We had a wonderful 15 years together until he passed away in March. I miss him so much every day, in fact, sitting here typing this with tears running down my face.

I am trying to start to look for a new horse, but it's proving hard to find something.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I did with Samuel. I saw his ad on Horsequest. I wasn't even seriously looking as I didn't really intend having another horse. But, I kept going back to his ad and watching the video. Finally I plucked up the nerve to phone the seller (with encouragement from a lady at work whose granddaughter had recently got a pony). I asked her loads of questions and she was lovely. She said she was mainly a trainer but once or twice a year would get in a couple of ISHs from a man she knew in Ireland, to sell.

My OH was surprisingly receptive when I suggested I go and take a look at. As soon as I saw his cute little face peering over the stable door that was it. He'd have had to have been the beast from hell for me not to have bought him. The seller rode him and then I got on. I was totally smitten. I even popped him over a couple of fences. Now I'm the sort of rider whose only happy jumping a horse I know and trust but as soon as my bum hit the saddle I felt completely at home on Sam.

I've had him two years this weekend and every single day I realise how lucky I was to find such a fabulous, kind, cheeky, fun, genuine little horse. He is everything I love. Bright, can be sharp, loves jumping and really lights up at shows. He's a true allrounder, I've done Horse Agility, Trec, Hunter Trials, Dressage, Show Jumping and even showing with him. He brilliant fun on sponsored rides. He gorgeous and I love him to bits.

I knew in my heart that I was going to buy him and I'm so glad I did. Only downside, white hairs on just about everything :)

LeannePip

Visit site
Yep, When we decided to give P some time off and look for something else, i wanted something about 16-17hh, 6-10yo, pref gelding with a bit of mileage but didn't mind green, but didn't want a psycho. I looked at everything i could find online that was vaguely related to those specifics, one a big grey gelding caught my eye but his add was too good to be true, BE100, 8yo for under £4k. horse had sarcoids :/

got a bit disheartened, messaged all the people i had on fb who i knew often had some in to sell, and a girl messaged back said she had 2, one was over budget one was on the money. asked for details sent me a few pictures and knew she was the one, in the two weeks between arranging and seeing her i didn't look at another ad. She ticked absolutely none of the boxes and was almost 100miles further away than i thought (who knew there were two whitchurch's! one in hampshire, where i live, and another in Shropshire/ Wales!) But she is more horse than i ever dreamed i'd own, she is just wonderful, eager to learn and not a psycho - so maybe she ticked one of them!