Have you ever seen/felt the ghost or spirit of a horse?

mulledwhine

Visit site
I am not sure, but when I see one particular horse out and about it always brings tears to my eye, it always gives me a knowing look, and is the only ' strange ' horse that make me do it.

I have wondered if, just maybe, we knew each other in a previous time!!!!! Perhaps an old pony.

Montyforever

Visit site
I heard hoof beats following me once and I was in the middle of a housing estate late at night and no one was around, it was exactly the sound of a unshod hoof on Tarmac .. Dunno whether it was just my imagination :confused: also keep thinking I can see the old mare that was put down about a month ago in her stable but I just think that's because she was always there I kind of expect her to poke her nose over the door still :(

Zimzim

Visit site
Yes I have, very odd feeling though.

My youngster was PTS last June. A few weeks later I had just got back from riding my other horse, I was untacking her when I saw out of the corner of my eye what looked like my youngster going past the rails that was his stable. I stopped what I was doing and went over and had a nosey into the stable, but nothing was there. At that point in time I hadnt even been thinking of him, but I had an odd sense that he was there, however it made me feel very calm and relaxed as if he was saying I'm okay.

I never saw or felt anything again after that.

Sounds strange, but it helped me to come to terms with losing him.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Oh yes!

The hack that Otis died on- before I got on I patted his nose and said, "this'll our last hack, won't it boy?" and then weeks after I had a dream that he was in a lovely sunny green field with picket fencing...

After the little pony was pts I saw her grazing in the garden in the summer! She lived in the garden and she was back there in her favorite sunny spot by the back door- no doubt hoping for a jam sandwich and a cup of tea!

Supertrooper

Visit site
Yes, both my friend and I

only last week she felt what we assume was her mare nudging her back, well more of a shove :) she did this all the time when she was alive. We think it was her way of saying she's ok. Also since the day after she was put down a pheasant has been in the field, she hated them when she was alive and we reckon it's her sense of humour to come back as one ;-)

I also felt my dog get on the bed and snuggle up with me two days after she was put down xx

I'm not bothered if it's true or not but it's comforting xx

cassie summers

Visit site
no i havnt but... my dog has a thing for a big grey horse down the yard she sits by his stable in the mornings and my big grey died last year maybe because they look alike but its strange how she sits by him all the time and wags her tail(stump)at him

Archangel

Visit site
I'm not sure, an elderly pony came to live with my mares for his final summer. For a few weeks after he had been pts I had a sense he was still around. A definate feeling that his 'spirit' or whatever still occupied the space. Exactly the same thing happened with my mare when she finally died.

dallastheo

Visit site
Yes, i have quite a few times. i spend quite a lot of time on my own with my horse, and when horses have passed away etc feel their presence. a personal time was after my jack russel got ran over, he used to sit with my mare in the field, sleep in my straw banks, and after he had gone, i was sure i heared his bark a few times, and could see him running up the field where he always used to be, and used to forget he was gone and call his name :(

Lilly44

New User
Visit site
Yes, I have been nudged while out in the paddock and have heard hoofsteps in the yard and none of my horses where anywhere near. I like to think it's my horse Jimmy, who we tragically lost in a freak accident a couple years ago. I had him from a baby for 14 years and he always used to follow me around when I was poo-picking and nudge my shoulder. Its really lovely to think he's still around and looking after our ponies as he always used to. I miss him every single day!

fatpiggy

Visit site
I certainly heard one at my old yard. It was about 8.30am and I put my mare in the indoor arena to eat her breakfast and have a mooch about as usual. Her stable was built onto one wall of the arena and there was the odd gap in the pointing so I could spy through and check on her, plus hear a little. I was mucking out and heard the sound of shod hooves tapping trotting poles so peeped through the wall but she was standing eating her food still. A few minutes later I heard a loud crash and the distinctive sound of wooden jump poles hitting the ground so rushed around to the door thinking she was in trouble (she has epilepsy) but she was stood on the far side of the indoor, dozing to herself and the only jumps or poles in there were level with the back wall of her stable and were two plastic poles (hollow) and a couple of plastic stakka type wings and they were never up as a jump in the first place. I was completely perplexed and thought I was losing the plot but about a year later I admitted it to the YO and she said they had had one of their showjumpers put down in there so I can only assume it was him.

A friend I've known for years told me that after her lovely horse was suddenly put down, she bought a new one and every so often he would come to the gate to be caught and then suddenly turn and run a few yards away, then repeat this, even when he was the last horse in the field. Between times he was perfect to catch, and even during these episodes she could catch him easily if she went out into the field. A while later a horse communicator was visiting the yard and having finished her booked sessions agreed to have a quick word with the horse. She was told that the big chestnut horse wouldn't allow the new one near the gate sometimes and that was why he kept turning away. Her horse that was PTS was a 16.3 chestnut who liked to be first out and would chase others away from the gate.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I have repetative dreams about my old pony, its always that I've abandoned him somewhere and when I go to look he's there and I'm like but he's dead that can't be, so I go and get him and look after him and can't believe it

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I have repetative dreams about my old pony, its always that I've abandoned him somewhere and when I go to look he's there and I'm like but he's dead that can't be, so I go and get him and look after him and can't believe it

I used to have a repetitive dream about Otis. He was dying in the stable and I was the only one who would see him. I would be in the stable sitting with him, hugging him and getting very upset and friends and family would be walking passed asking why I was in the stable on my own. They could touch him and feel him, but not see him. Then I had a dream about him being happy in a big sunny field and I haven't dreamt about him since... well, after Jeremy (his friend of 26 years) died and they were in the same field together... surrounded by a white picket fence!

Visit site
i haven't but i am sure a horse has-the day after my horse was pts (under a tree on the livery yard drive), i led a horse by and he stopped, froze, and nickered, and trhen walked on - will never forget that moment - he wasn't frightened, just as if he saw his friend and i couldn't.

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
At the field I used to rent I used to but didn't feel scared. The first time, it happened a few weeks after I moved on there. You know when you get the feeling that you are being "watched" and someone is staring at you, well I got the bizarre feeling coming from the far corner of the field. It didn't feel human, but animal if that makes sense. It was so strong.

Later the field owner told me that he buried the last tenant's horse there after he got put to sleep.

Twice it happend, I would "see" a horse in Hattie's stable at that field if just sweeping the yard or doing something on the yard and just out the corner of my eye. It only happened a couple of times and it was was grey. Not grey like a "live" grey horse but like a light "cloudy" grey.

Only once, was this grey horse in the stable with me when I was mucking out and again, just out the corner of my eye.

My mare and the Section D, were never bothered and thrived at my old field so obviously this "grey" horse was happy to share his stable and his field with them.

My new yard is ghost free!!! :D

guesstimation

Visit site
Not as such but my horse was pts about 3amish and about 8ish I was driving to the pony fields and Bryan Adams It Ain't Over yet which was used in Racing Stripes came on the radio, never heard it before or since on the radio and I was balling! The chorus in particular just sent shivers down my spine as if he was up there! That was 6 years ago and still makes me tearful when I see the words and remember it was just so strange.

it ain't over yet - you can lay your bet
now nothing's in my way you ain't seen nothing yet
I have learnt to fly - and hold my head up high
there's something I dont want you to forget
it ain't over yet

I also have a wonderful photo of my current pony just staring at the tree where my old boy had his ashes scattered and the tree as all colourful and autumny, again it's like one of those moments you were meant to see and catch.

I'm not really in to spiritual, ghosty type things but both these things got me!

majors

Visit site
Slightly different, when we moved to our own land my v sensitve ISH would stare into the corner of one field and get aggitated I always used to joke he could see ghosts, i thought he had an imaginary friend. when I had an animal communicator talk to him, for a different reason, she said he could see a lady in a side saddle habit who owed a horse that looked like him, and it frightened him.!!!

rascal

Visit site
Not a horse or pony no, but both hubby and i have seen our old cat on the stairs where she used to sleep. I also saw her in the kitchen.
I did know my old mare had died though, i sent hubby to the field that day, i wouldnt go, he found her in the field.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Not a ghost, no. But I am convinced my mare is a reincarnation of my favourite horse at the riding school where I worked in my teens. I loved him to bits. He was chestnut with a perfect diamond in the middle of his forehead. He had a really cheeky character and was a bit bargy, but in a friendly way and used to do this twirly thing with his top lip whenever he was being mischievious. I couldn't afford to buy him, but something told me he was meant to be mine. My mare was born around the same time as he died. I didn't get her until she was six though, but despite not wanting a mare or a bay, I travelled nearly 3 hours to see her. It was love at first sight. She too has a perfect diamond on her face and does the same twirly thing with her lip. Her personality and the way she felt to ride is identical to him.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
My horse of a life time was a chestnut TB mare, her 'song' was Abbas Dancing Queen, it was played on the radio on the way back from the vets when she was PTS.

A couple of years ago I was dithering about buying a new horse, even on the morning I was due to collect him I wasn't 100% sure I should. I got in the car and the radio came on, Dancing Queen, that made my mind up M was telling me to get him and I am so glad I did.

Then my daughters old eventer who had been sold to a friend for a quieter life injured himself, as daughter and I pulled up in the yard Dancing Queen came on the radio again, I am convinced M was telling us it was the right thing to let the old man go.

Last September we also lost my OH's best friend Sir, again as the news came through form the vets Dancing Queen was played.

After Sir was gone it took weeks for the other horses to 'close up' his gap when being led to the field. I always walked behind with the others and could still 'see' Sir walking between the others. Sirs stable is still empty, but very often, as I am untacking the pony in the stable next door I can see him watching us, OH also says he still feels Sir around watching and keeping an eye on his 'herd'. Strangely the other horses have taken on characteristics of Sir things they never did before he went, but were his little foibles.

hayinamanger

Visit site
18 months ago we had to have OH's mare pts, I miss her more than any other horse. This summer I was walking back down the field to the yard in a thunder storm. As I walked past her old stable, there was a very load clap of thunder and, above the noise, I definitely heard her very distinctive whinny. It was coming from high above my head, extraordinary.

Hollyberry

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime, an 8 year old Irish Draught mare, was put to sleep suddenly one November. I really found it difficult to get over the loss and put off buying another horse for months but I was advised by a friend to ask Holly for help to find another horse and I know it sounds corny but one night I was standing by the place she was pts and looked up at the sky and I saw the shape of her galloping across the sky. I cried so much but just knew she wanted me to move on and shortly after that I found my new horse who is my second horse of a lifetime. Anything in it, probably not, but it was so powerful and I am very sceptical about anything like that.

Enfys

Visit site
No experiences really, but thought this was an appropriate time to add this that has been doing the fb rounds recently...it's quite a provoking picture I think and sends a shiver down my spine every time I look at it.

247287_1787929460466_1306445579_31617249_8194401_n.jpg

jennyf

Visit site
I'm of the opinion that animals are very spititual, and horses espcially. My Welsh x Appaloosa was PTS 3 years ago. Every so often when I walk to that part of the paddock where she drew her last breath, there is a white feather in the exact spot. Coincidence? Maybe, but I prefer to to think of it as a gentle reminder of Millie.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Some beautiful stories here that have sent shivers down me and brought tears to my eyes.

I have had quite a few dreams of my mare since I lost her just over 3months ago, it feels like a life time already. She was my horse of a lifetime. My dreams of her have been mostly about her death, and about the fact she is not alive any more. All of the dreams in one way or another seem to be trying to tell me to let go :( I will never forget her. I sometimes wonder if I have felt her presence up the yard, I hope I always feel her presence

mulledwhine

Visit site
Another strange thing, about an hour ago a friend rang me in excitement!!!

Apparantly she just went to see her horse af swears on her life that she saw my old boy!!!

We all think we have, but she was so shocked, ax she even found herself shouting him to come for his tea???

It has filled my heart with hope that we may meet again, but also puts my mind at rest ( and I have never told this person or anyone until this that is sometimes see him ) that he his happy :). :( xxxx

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
At the yard I work at, at the start of every day the horses are allowed to run down from the field onto the yard and find their own way into their stables. My favourite mare there, and, I believe my horse in a million, despite never owning her, was put down two months ago now :(
Two weeks ago I was waiting for one of the herds to canter down from the field and as they started to appear then morning sun caught "my" mare's dam, I could have sworn it was her. She was cantering down front of the herd as my little mare always had and just looked so happy. Despite the fact her dam usually comes down at the back of the herd at a much more suitable pace for an older lady :p
It felt like my little donkey was letting me know, through her mum, that she is happy now :)