Have you ever sold a horse and regretted it ?

Pluto

Visit site
Just curious about peoples experiences. Over a year ago I sold my horse for financial reasons and medical reasons to a lovely lady who is still in contact with me to this day. She sends me updates and pictures which are lovely and so kind of her but inside my heart aches, I so regret selling him and wish he was still with me even though I know I had no choice :-(

QueenDee_

Visit site
If I could I would have kept them all! But unfortunately with horses that isn't the case...i'd look rather silly trying to ride my old 13.3hh! I remember every one though, and always ensure I sell them to lovely people and usually visit them a couple of times :D

-Elena

sazzle44

Visit site
I've only ever sold one and I've regretted it ever since. Seemed like the perfect home, they ensured me they would be having lots of lessons, they would really get to grips with his dressage, they'd come hacking with me as they had none at their place. Did they hell. Within 3 months he was stopping due to being over jumped on hard ground and was grumpy as anything on the yard and they hadn't had one lesson. Now the pony I've had on loan for 4 years, taken from a total novice to jumping 1m20 and being virtually unbeaten in the dressage arena, will be going to them :(
It really does break my heart having to think about it and when people say it's only a horse, just makes me think they haven't had a special enough one :rolleyes: there's been plenty of other I've let go without too much worry, but there you go...

Firewell

Visit site
No, I've only sold one horse and as I'd only had him 8 weeks it didn't matter as he wasn't right.

I nearly loaned out my late mare but I couldn't do it, changed my mind as I loved her and two weeks later she was dead (colic). It's been two years and I think of her everyday. I dream about her like she's right there and it's torture.

I nearly sold my current horse as I thought he was too good for me/too much. He was about to go but the thought was killing me. I didn't eat or sleep, I looked like a skeleton and I kept crying. I decided to keep him and it was like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders. I might be a rubbish rider for him, he may be colty and clever and powerful but he's mine. He's my horse, he's the best horse I've ever had and no matter what ups and downs he's going to stay.

I'm absolutely rubbish at selling horses can you tell :p.

Funnily enough though I've had a few horses on loan that I kept for a year or two and then gave back and I've had a couple on trial that I've given back and I haven't given a 2nd thought. I think the ones I kept, I kept because they were very special and that's why I couldn't/can't let them go :).

rascal

Visit site
Sold a few only regretted two. My first pony who i backed and then decided to get a bigger one he was only 13.2hh and not really big enough, i was still growing myself. I sold him to what i thought was a lovely home, but she used to ride round booting him and yanking on the reins, i was at the same yard and hated myself for what i had done!! Eventually her sister had him and we had taught her to ride so it turned out ok in the end.
The other was a cob mare i sold two years after i bought her because i wanted a native to show and i had decided to give up riding. I advertised her as very green, not for a novice or nervous rider as she would take advantage. In fact i refused to let two people see her as they were novices. The one who bought her told me a pack of lies about the home she was offering, and was a very dodgey dealer. She sold the horse six weeks later telling the new owner she had done all sorts of things she haddnt done like cross country and used as an ecourt for her other youngsters what a load of tosh! She very nearly killed herself and the woman who bought her.

You Wont Forget Me

Visit site
Yes yes yes a million times yes!! Sold my first and second pony totally regret it mum and dad do too, they were the best ponies any child could dream of owning and we are now totally stuck trying to find a pony for my little sister, just wish we kept my ponios miss them so much and if we could afford it they would be back with us in a second

foxeefilly1

Visit site
I sold a mare that id bought relatively unhandled, backed her and she turned out to be a smashing pony, in a way i regret it but she is in a fab forever home and couldnt wish for a better family for her, since then ive never found another that i had such an amazing bond with! It took me nearly a year to get over it and to buy another, ive seemed to gone from disaster to disaster with every horse since :(recently sold a beautiful gelding due to lack of facilities and someone to ride out with (he was only young)and needed a hacking buddy which i dont have and begrudged paying out livery when we have enough stables and land. big mistake now :( really miss him but again he has gone to a fab home. see a pattern emerging. i sell the good ones and get landed with nutters! wish i could turn back time

Snowysadude

Visit site
Yes sold my old cob and regret it every day. I do at least find solace in the fact that he has gone to the most amazing home I could have asked for and the lady is just perfect for him and loves him like a child! 2 years down the line she still sends me regular updates and the other thing is if I hadnt have sold him I couldnt have afforded Snowy ;).

Fiorano

Visit site
Yes! Sold a really ugly coloured cob who I only owned for a few months (had to buy him to get him away from his owners!!). He was rather large, lazy and had sweet itch BUT was the safest hack on the planet. He would go anywhere on his own or with others, never competative, but speedy when asked, and never rude. He would go past anything without even giving it a second look. He was competely rock solid. If I had known then what I know now he would still be with me! :)

4faults

Visit site
Yes I loaned my last mare to someone to be a broodie, they loved her and offered to buy her in the end. I knew she was doing well so I said yes. She is still there, still loved an looking great but I miss her :-(

I also sold my sec b that I had for years, I backed her, she is the sweetest mare ever. I loaned her to a family I know very well and who's daughter I used to teach, for the daughter to get more experience and confidence. They eventually asked to buy her and I agreed. I miss that little mare everyday she was my best friend. I'm just hoping they honour the agreement to sell her back to me next year when their daughter outgrows her

FionaM12

Visit site
Just curious about peoples experiences. Over a year ago I sold my horse for financial reasons and medical reasons to a lovely lady who is still in contact with me to this day. She sends me updates and pictures which are lovely and so kind of her but inside my heart aches, I so regret selling him and wish he was still with me even though I know I had no choice :-(

That's terribly sad. :-( Poor you. At least you can be glad he went to a good home.

Dolcé

Visit site
YES! Admittedly it was OH's horse to sell and I initially encouraged it thinking it would be the perfect home. Events made me realise it wasn't quite as perfect as I thought and I begged him not to sell but he ignored me and sold. I can't go into any detail as my posts are still stalked and no doubt even this comment will cause phone calls to be made and trouble to be stirred, but I still cry if I allow myself to even think about that horse so I try not to! Personally I don't, and will never, sell any of mine!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Yes - sold the best little hunter I've ever had due to wanting a bigger, smarter horse. What an idiot. I have regretted it every day since and all the bigger, smarter horses have either broken or been sods.

Good job then that I'm buying the little horse back and will be hunting her all season. If its not meant to be, then I don't know what is!! I am so overexcited about having my little pony back.

Temptation

Visit site
Yes .. Have sold many horses and they have all gone to lovely homes. But I had one old Irish boy that I sold to a very wealthy lady who then went on to sell him to a riding school :(
He was/is so much better then that.

marmalade76

Visit site
Yes - I sold a fab little horse simply because I had got fed up with his sharp, spooky whizziness. He lost his confidence with the girl who bought him and kept stopping and she punished him for it, turning him into a rearer. So cross with myself and feel so guilty.

scarymare

Visit site
Yes, I sold a mare who developed attachment issues once I brought a mare and foal (with the foal). Now I'm breeding myself she would have been fantastic. Sold her through a dealer too. Full of guilt as brought her from the mart.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've sold several over the years, but one I regret. A big Welsh Cob. He was the most difficult horse to handle when I got him, probably quite dangerous as a 3yo. I worked my butt off trying to bring him round and succeeded, although he still had the odd little strop nown and again! He had a massive character which is what I loved about him and he had so much presence that he felt amazing to ride, you felt proud to be on him! I had 2 horses then and my other horse (who I still have now) I wanted to do more BE & BSJA with, he had more potential basically and I couldnt afford to compete both anymore (the Welsh did showing / RC stuff etc.) so I decided to sell him. I made it clear though that he could be a handful occassionally and you had to earn his respect. I sold him to one lady but told her I'd take him back if she didnt get on with him, he was back within 4 days - apparently he'd been horrific to her (biting / kicking her / breaking his headcollars, charging off!). I happily had him back, she clearly hadnt earnt his respect! Then a 14yo girl came along with her dad. I thought no way can she handle him but she got on well with him so I sold him to her, under the same thing that he could come back if it didnt work out. He's never come back and she absolutely adores him! He behaves as well as he did for me with her. I still regret it though :( I havent seen him out and about as he's slightly outwith my area, but I know if I do I'll be a real state. I did add a clause that if she ever wanted to sell, Id get first refusal so you never know...!!

tinap

Visit site
No - I've only sold 1, my daughters last pony. She was a rescue & my daughter taught her to do everything - went from being a total nut job that you couldn't even get near in a stable to a fantastic jumping pony that couldn't be beaten! Daughter outgrew her & pony was only 8 so she understood that she needed to go & have fun with another child. I kept in touch with the new owners & their daughter also had tons of fun with her. Now, 3yrs later they have told me they are selling her on as their daughter has outgrown her & I'm hoping to still stay in touch with the new family she's going to. Miss her like mad but don't ever regret selling her - she would have been wasted here