Have you ever witnessed a horse attack....

Mavis Cluttergusset

Visit site
.....it's own droppings?!

There is a supremely hormonal mare who shares turnout with my totally hormone-free mare. Yesterday the mare was squealing, fly kicking, lashing out and rearing at nothing. It was my delightful task to bring her in, as the person who had been asked to do it was too frightened. I did manage to bring her in but there were a couple of unpleasant moments when her front feet came scarily close to my face. Tonight, I wanted to ride and fortuitously if I get there first I don't need to bring this mare in, as they are out in a threesome.

I took my girl in and rode, then went to poo pick the field. The stroppy mare did a dropping and then proceeded to attack it as if it were a sworn enemy - she was screaming, rearing and stamping on it, turning round and lashing out at it, and digging furiously at it with her front feet. She totally obliterated it.

Is there a reason behind it or is she just in desperate need of something to control her ragingly aggressive seasons? I have never witnessed anything like it :confused:

Not that it is any concern of mine, if she were my horse Id have done something months ago - but am curious!

Cedars

Visit site
Never seen anything that serious but my mare ripped a chunk out of me this morning for absolutely no reason....?! Bloody mares....

If she was mine, I would definitely have tried the vet, or at least some form of calmer. As its NOT your horse, I would just avoid as much as possible. xxxx

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Don't want to scare you too much, and it could be totally different, but I'd get the vet out to have a look. Perhaps video some of her "tantrums" just in case she doesn't perform when the vet is there. It may well be hormonal problems, however I had a friend years ago, and her horse went a bit like this in his old age. It turned out to be a brain tumour, and the horse had to be put down. Either way, for the people on the yard's safety this really needs checking out.

Mavis Cluttergusset

Visit site
Like I said it isn't my horse and therefore isn't my business. If it was my horse it would have been on some kind of hormone suppressant plus coligone or something similar for ages! I won't be bringing it in again in a hurry, I shall make sure of that. I have tactfully suggested trying the horse on something before, to no avail. I just find it totally bizarre that this mare is so angry! :)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Ahh its you again! Vile smelling POO! I thought I told you the last time you showed up here!!

Sorry lol I have to laugh. No I haven't but echo you, I'd be talking to my vet and maybe horse psychiatrist if my horse did that!

Mavis Cluttergusset

Visit site
Stroppy. Ribby. Stressy, won't settle when ridden. Won't go in an outline. Rips my mares rugs. Bites. Kicks. Picks at hay - eats 1 to 2 slices overnight in winter to my mare's 6 or 7. Never

But not mine. Only so many 'suggestions' I can make. But I am genuinely intrigued all the same. I think along with her dreadful hormones she probably has gastric issues. She genuinely is never happy.

ladyt25

Visit site
I would say ulcers is a possibility from hearing waht other people describe symptom wise with their horses. In addition there could be some hormonal issue but ultimately there could be something more serious going on. Just as an additional note though I have a gelding who I swear is a rig (although vets tests say different - I am not convinced!). he can have these 'moments'. he is the boss of the herd and has chilled out a lot in the 16 years I've had him. However, he does still throw these strops for no apparent reason - you can almost see the others thinking "oh no he's off again, leave him to it!". He will take himself a bit away from the others and can kick, squeal, buck and all sorts. It doesn't last long and it is quite funny and then he's back to his normal self. It's like he's just had enough of all his mates at that moment and has to release his anger!!! Lol