Have you ever....?

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
....listened to your ipod whilst riding?
I was tempted today, only to 1 ear of course, but wondered if anyone else does or if they think it is too dangerous? Depending on the feedback I may be seen singing around Sussex. (But I bet we all talk on our mobile phone driving!)

Cyberchick

Visit site
Round the field or in the arena I would as it can be relaxing and stop you getting so tense but I wouldnt on a hack. It's hard enough to hear the cars nowadays as it is.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
(But I bet we all talk on our mobile phone driving!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm... no?
crazy.gif

I wouldn't ever listen to music on headphones whilst around horses, if only because if the horse reacts to a sudden noise you'll be taken unawares and probably go out the side door. Listening to ambient music from a stereo whilst schooling or doing yard work is fine as you can still hear what's going on around you.
smile.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
No i would not ever do this and my mare is about as safe as horses get, but you never know, personally i feel its a risk not worth taking.
That's my personal opinion and tbh i think its a risk not worth taking for anyone, but people make their own decisions after all
smile.gif

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
I would in the arena (helps if learning dressage to music!!) but I would NEVER ride off site (hacking or roads) with it in any ear!! You need ALL your senses and mind on the job, especially if hacking on the roads, so I think it could be dangerous.

Leads me to the riding whilst on the phone!! I HATE it!! I leave my phone in my pocket (on vibrate to prevent any spookyness) and return any calls after I have ridden!!

hopppydi

Visit site
Its not something i would do as i think it would make me feel abit vulnerable...does that sound stupid?
confused.gif

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
In the arena and hacking off road I have listened to it very quietly in one ear on a very safe horse, but if ever I ride on the road or on a more lively horse then it stays in my bag.
Edited to add - If I am planning to canter/gallop/jump on my off road hacking then it stays in my bag too. Walk and trot only, and canter in the school but never jumping.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Maybe if I was schooling.

Never on the roads, cars etc, and never offroad either, as we have cyclists/walkers who come from nowhere
tongue.gif

Sparkles

Visit site
I do all the time, most the time I ride tbf.

Great if you have music with a really good riding beat too! Get to collect, lengthen, change gair etc to it
laugh.gif
and makes me focus.

Though neighbours prob dont appreciate the singing haha.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No. Car drivers are unpredictable as are horses, and you definitely won't hear the cyclist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point - I don't know about you lot but I have trouble hearing cyclists on silent road bikes anyway and am often taken unawares! The nice ones shout before they pass thankfully.
grin.gif

ETA: Binky01, your sig is mahoosive.
blush.gif

paintsplat05

Visit site
never with ear phones in, we put music on our phones as we ride, gets the horses used to unfamiliar noise, although my friend's horse now knows to stop if her phone goes!
blush.gif

algy666

www.bebo.com
I have done, with one earphone in, on a totally offroad hack and would only do it on my own horse, because I know him inside out and trust him completely (despite mad TB streak) ... although he does still surprise me from time to time!