Have you had a range of breeds over the years ?

tessybear

Visit site
Just wondering really, thinking about we have gone from one of the scale to the other !!

Prepare for photo overloads of the past 30+ years of my families horse owning life and how we have changed types of horses..

Please feel free to post your own and any photos you have, will be interesting to see :D

soooo... Let's start off at the beginning:

Mum worked at a riding school as YM and head instructress style thing, Cue a new horse coming in from the sales bought by YO, he was a plain, ignorant and in many ways doofy Dutch Warmblood useless to hack, lazy in the school but safe as a house. Mum decided to buy him, to this day she is unsure what lead her to do this :eek: but was he worth it ! This guy could blooming jump ! he would jump anything and i mean anything, if you messed up he would correct himself and jump it anyway, XC, SJ he didn't care and boy did he love it too ! She used to have jump offs with the others girls at the yard, rolling the bales together and narrowing them down seeing who’s horse could jump it without running out... Boots always won.

Boots was still a nightmare to hack but my superglue bummed mother took it all in her stride, they went through the ranks and got rather far at eventing but then she got pregnant with Moi ! so bye bye boots, sold onto a teenage girl wanting to do exactly what my mother did and needed a safe, steady been there done it horse.

here he is :

2diewdi.jpg

2a98cpx.jpg

In between me being old enough to ride mum had many a loan horse and would ride a lot of the school ponies to keep them ticking over. Then she went and got little Oliver for me on loan i believe, a shitland that i mucked about in, never really serious riding but i loved him to bits :)

One of the loan horses Amber : a complete mar but a sweetie
do7yo9.jpg

To finally something totally different, our hunka chunka Cob, something safe and sane needed to restore my sisters confidence after Darcy took it out of her when hacking she couldn't deal with him so Tessy bear came along. She was brought as more of a project certainly not what we originally wanted but her big heart captured us all and she has restored my sisters confidence whilst bombing about with me :D... a photo for good measure so she doesn't feel left out
358b820.jpg

....Your turn :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My first pony (loan) was a black, 23 yr old Fell x, my most recent purchase was a chestnut, 17 month old arab. They actually have quite a lot in common temperament wise. :D

tessybear

Visit site
My first pony (loan) was a black, 23 yr old Fell x, my most recent purchase was a chestnut, 17 month old arab. They actually have quite a lot in common temperament wise. :D

Wow big change in type of horse then :), ah sounds very sweet :) there is a lovely arab up the road, they are such gracefull looking horses .

StormyMoments

Visit site
in this order of horses i have moved on to :)

Cob - Podge - 13hh 4 year old

New forest - romany - 13.3hh 9 year old

Welsh - libby - 12.2hh 13 year old

Welsh x arab (i think) - honey - 12.2hh 13 year old

Irish sprots horse - Taz - 17.2hh 8 year old

Orlov trotter - ollie - 16.1hh 11 year old

Tb - alfie - 14.3hh 6 year old

Standard bred x tb - missy - 15hh 4year old

Andalusian - Rio - 15.1hh 8 year old

Last edited:

SCMSL

Visit site
What a nice topic to remember our companions who made us riders!

My first horse was a Lusitano stallion who my mom bought for me when I was 14. He was a complete disaster, at 7 years old he still wouldn't let people put bandages on him, was a nightmare to shoe, wouldn't get into a trailer for anything in the world. But he was my boy, who taught me most of what I know about dealing with difficult horses! I still love him to bits and am in constant contact with his new owner. When he was given to me he wouldn't even stop, I sold him ridden with only a rope around the neck, and taught him everything from flying changes to piaffe to levades!

Sabre.jpg

Then I leased a 4 year old stallion who was a cross between a Lusitano and an Oldenburg. Took him to the national championships for 4 and 5 years olds and really learned a lot about competing and how to ride a larger horse.

217509_211851438841953_1829093_n_zps08765e07.jpg

Then I got an Oldenburg stallion with whom I did two years of competing, one in complementary classes and the next year I took him to the St George national championship. Again, learned a lot from him, and managed to compete a year in Young Riders which was a lot of fun!

420257_392042534156175_1181533148_n_zpsb2174d9e.jpg

Finally, my current horse is a 2008 hanoverian state premium mare who I am planning to take at least to St George (not sure she can collect enough for GP, but she would make the most amazing your riders horse, she has the best mind in the world and very nice paces). I would love to have a foal from her at some point, as I think she would make a great mother.

11HaQu3j-6G.jpg

I will never forget my first horse, and if things were different he would still be in my arms. But fortunately I've been able to continue to grow as a rider with all these different horses. The only thing in common is they were all either stallions or mares!

Irishcobs

Visit site
Welsh B
Standardbred
Cleveland Bay x Anglo Arab
Cob- still own
Cob- still own
ISH
Belgian draught x something- still own

Spring Feather

Visit site
When I was a toddler I had the use of my grandfathers ponies; they were shetlands, arabs and welsh. He had mainly horses but he always kept some ponies around for me to ride.

My first 'very own' pony was a Connemara x TB and shortly after that I was given another Connemara x TB. I had those two for years and years; both were amazing jumping ponies and gymkhana ponies. I finally give them up when I moved out of ponies into horses at 15 yrs old.

Then I had a Hanoverian jumping machine. Did some XC as well but mainly jumping.

A few years later I had a Dansk varmblod, again a jumping machine.

After the DVB I got an IDxTB (jumping machine again :rolleyes:), an Arab and then bred an Anglo Arab from her. I had those 3 for many years. Then sold the arab and bought another Connemara x TB but this time a horse-sized one who was a fab eventer. The IDxTB eventually died of old age and a few years later I sold the Anglo. A year later I sold the big connieX as I moved country again and decided not to take those 2 with me (although I did take another one with me).

Now I have a number of AQHAs, APHAs, TBs, Hanoverians, Oldenburgs, Holsteiners, Appaloosas and a couple of Connemara crosses.

Last edited:

mandwhy

Visit site
Wow SCMSL those are some fabulous horses!

Tessybear - Boots sounds brilliant, I think we could all do with a boots in every discipline!

I am still on my first horse, I have always liked haflingers but I had mostly TBx or ISH type horses on loan or share before buying, I learnt on two 17hh IDx types, funny how I've ended up with my little 15hh golden girl :)

Rose Folly

Visit site
Luckily for you can't do photos, but here's 63 years' riding (plus dozens and dozens of other peoples' horses!

Welsh 10.2hh monkey. I was terrified of her and she knew it (4 until 8)
Skewbald 13.2 crossbred. A total darling, but reared for England out hunting (8-13)
ConnemaraxTB 14.2. Probably the best I ever had. Brilliant hunter and the sweetest temperament (13 till my marriage at 22)
During my teenage years we had lots of horses for rehab as well as my father's hunters, so from 10 years old was riding ex-racers etc.
Then 20-year no horse limbo
Glorious three-quarter bred hunter type belonging to friends. I rode her for 6 years and then they gave her to me. A total sweetie. Tragically she broke her leg in the field (42-53)
Beautiful dark brown mare, with a very problematic background. Had been bred to race but never did. Show-jumped to Junior International standard but her rider was too scared of her on the ground to look after her. She either liked you or hated you. Luckily she liked me but I never trusted her to behave with other handlers. I bought her to LDR but her legs gave out, so she eneded her days as my most beautiful field ornament (54-60)
Forward-going (no brakes) bunptious but most loving buxom barmaid' of a Welsh Section D cob. I reckon she may see me out.....(61-now)

Plus about 60 other horses who I can name, plus a few odd rides. I don't count sheep at night, just "horses what I have known"!

Silmarillion

Visit site
I started with a Welsh D, then rodean Anglo Arab and an Irish x Trakehner, then an ISH, then got myself a "sort of Irish" mare. Then I rode a Danish warmblood, and now ride a TB ex-racer and own a 7/8ths TB.

A few different ones!

tessybear

Visit site
Wow SCMSL those are some fabulous horses!

Tessybear - Boots sounds brilliant, I think we could all do with a boots in every discipline!

I am still on my first horse, I have always liked haflingers but I had mostly TBx or ISH type horses on loan or share before buying, I learnt on two 17hh IDx types, funny how I've ended up with my little 15hh golden girl :)

Well some beautiful horses on here !, lovely to hear about the past horses who have shaped us to what we are today :) Do you find riding a variety of horses and breeds helps form a better rider ?

And thank you Boots was a special boy must still gets teary over him :eek: , he was the horse i learnt to canter on because little shitland would dump me round corners... that's how safe he was, you just had to think canter and he would go a very special lad... now long gone :(

SCMSL

Visit site
Thank you for your compliments, I do acknowledge how blessed I am :)

I don't think its the horse as much as the personality. I love stallions because they are full of personalities. My mare is by far the trickiest horse yet (as moody as they come!) but I guess its just because I'm not used to handling mare yet.

Riding a variety of horses does make you a better rider, no doubt! Specially when you are the only one riding the horse as you are forced to learn from your mistakes, and quickly!

Megibo

Visit site
Erm.. no :p

when I was a tot (like 4 years old) Welsh A
Welsh D -2005-still got
Welsh D-may 12-still got (though she's pushed me a bit the sod!) :eek:

I'm considering getting something a bit taller and lighter though, when my ladies are older as they're 13 and 14 this may.

tessybear

Visit site
Thank you for your compliments, I do acknowledge how blessed I am :)

I don't think its the horse as much as the personality. I love stallions because they are full of personalities. My mare is by far the trickiest horse yet (as moody as they come!) but I guess its just because I'm not used to handling mare yet.

Riding a variety of horses does make you a better rider, no doubt! Specially when you are the only one riding the horse as you are forced to learn from your mistakes, and quickly!

They are lovely horses ! I wish i had the chance like that :)

Oh yes i totally agree, i'm learning as i go with Tess it' a test having a horse who didn't come fully fledged as it where. Canter work is still on going but like you say its learning process :)

Inchy

Visit site
Over the last 25 years I have had: Welsh A x 2, Welsh B, Dales x Fell, Connemara x 2, New Forest, Welsh D, Dutch WB, TB x Connemara, TB x WB, and a Shetland!...apparently I now need to get a highland as it seems through my childhood I managed to get through most of the native breeds!!

hoggedmane

Visit site
first pony Mandy - Dartmoor x saint
second pony April - 3/4 New Forest x 1/4 TB x pogo stick - looked like a cob!
3rd pony Freddie - pure TB x Nice but Dim Tim
4th pony Mira - shire x TB - could be April reincarnated in personality which is why I like her so much.

ok so the last two aren't really ponies either.

Also had Welsh b x tb - stressy mare for daughter
13hh bog pony x disaster (also for daughter ) although she only rode him for two weeks - and that is another story!

noodle_

Visit site
had my first horse at 15 - irish import - tb/id cross

then an ex-racer....

then a tb x cob (horse of a lifetime)...

and now a friesian warmblood x cob! :)

ebonyallen

Visit site
5My first pony was a Dun Highland, then onto a Bright Bay Heinonz 57 no one was sureXwhat he was. Then onto a black Hackney X TB my first horse, and now I have a ID X TB who is also black. All of them very different and all hold and still hold a very specail piece of my heart.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
ooo photos ? Cannot beat a new forest , full of character :) They are one of my favourite breeds

Here he is :) Ive had him since he was 3 and I always wanted something 'bigger and better' but I now make the most out of what I do have :D He is just brilliant :D We do lots of dressage together :)

DSCF4882_zpsc3c393eb.jpg

2102131_zps30ec9db8.jpg

DSCF4830.jpg

Image1-8.jpg

297731_10152094871660123_1098510124_n.jpg

555.jpg

but yes....full of character...
32131_zps191c08c0.jpg

still7.jpg

Sorry or photo overload!!

cambrica

Visit site
My first pony (36 yrs ago) was a New Forest gelding. Very handsome bright bay and had him until he passed away age 27. He was my whole childhood, I owe him so much.
Then a chestnut roan Sec D mare. 110% safe but fast, fun, jump anything, turn on a sixpence, flashy and now very sadly missed, I had her till the end (27 yo).
Also a big 'ol Bess with the beautiful bum, a black Shire.
Another Sec D mare, my baby, who I sadly lost last year to colic.
Now 2 x Welsh Sec A's, mother & daughter (who I bred)
2 x MW Cobs who are retired/semi-retired both in their 20's
AND my gorgeous Welsh D baby 'Roberto' (see signiture)

weesophz

www.facebook.com
my first loan pony was an 18 yo 14hh done it all welsh cross rs mare :) old ziggy! worst jump in the world and god help any horse that went anywhere near he back legs! she was a brilliant old girl :) crap photo though only one i have!
480492_288000974658857_778318859_n_zpse7fe48a3.jpg

after old zigs i got cav, 12.2 connie cross near enough wild 4yo. bolted bucked pulled dirty stops and i absolutely adored him. he was by best friend for 5 years and it broke my heart when i out grew him, always wonder where hes at!
35776_1492287914026_1438867830_31299557_4110149_n-1.jpg

36101_1491593016654_1438867830_31297650_7944238_n.jpg

then of course made the jump to fox :) 15.2 tb ex racer, starved for many months, in horrific condition and hated people. still an absolute git, but a better looking one ;) hes with me til forever!
2012-01-01111315.jpg

Last edited:

tessybear

Visit site
Here he is :) Ive had him since he was 3 and I always wanted something 'bigger and better' but I now make the most out of what I do have :D He is just brilliant :D We do lots of dressage together :)

Sorry or photo overload!!

:eek::eek: He is lovely :D such a sweet looking face and oh so very handsome :) Nice to see he keeps you on your toes ;) :D

My first pony (36 yrs ago) was a New Forest gelding. Very handsome bright bay and had him until he passed away age 27. He was my whole childhood, I owe him so much.
Then a chestnut roan Sec D mare. 110% safe but fast, fun, jump anything, turn on a sixpence, flashy and now very sadly missed, I had her till the end (27 yo).
Also a big 'ol Bess with the beautiful bum, a black Shire.
Another Sec D mare, my baby, who I sadly lost last year to colic.
Now 2 x Welsh Sec A's, mother & daughter (who I bred)
2 x MW Cobs who are retired/semi-retired both in their 20's
AND my gorgeous Welsh D baby 'Roberto' (see signiture)

Wow so you have had a range of breeds, Roberto is simply stunning ! He is going to grow into a very handsome chappy !

tessybear

Visit site
my first loan pony was an 18 yo 14hh done it all welsh cross rs mare :) old ziggy! worst jump in the world and god help any horse that went anywhere near he back legs! she was a brilliant old girl :) crap photo though only one i have!
480492_288000974658857_778318859_n_zpse7fe48a3.jpg

after old zigs i got cav, 12.2 connie cross near enough wild 4yo. bolted bucked pulled dirty stops and i absolutely adored him. he was by best friend for 5 years and it broke my heart when i out grew him, always wonder where hes at!
35776_1492287914026_1438867830_31299557_4110149_n-1.jpg

36101_1491593016654_1438867830_31297650_7944238_n.jpg

then of course made the jump to fox :) 15.2 tb ex racer, starved for many months, in horrific condition and hated people. still an absolute ******, but a better looking one ;) hes with me til forever!
2012-01-01111315.jpg

Ahh lovely to see photos :D I bet you have a good seat, nothing quite like growing up with ones that are not perfect to teach you how to really ride :)

I simply love Fox, never normally like Tbs but he has converted me :eek: a very handsome and cute face :)

weesophz

www.facebook.com
Ahh lovely to see photos :D I bet you have a good seat, nothing quite like growing up with ones that are not perfect to teach you how to really ride :)

I simply love Fox, never normally like Tbs but he has converted me :eek: a very handsome and cute face :)

i did back in the day haha, my seat now leaves a lot to be desired :eek::rolleyes: although i can still sit a pretty decent buck :cool:

ahhh thank you :D making me smile! hes a cheeky sod but i wouldnt change him for the world, makes me laugh every day :)

twobearsarthur

Visit site
13.1 Welsh x Arab
16.1 TB
14.1 Anglo Arab
18.1 Clydesdale
16hh IDxTB
15.1 Welsh D
15.1 Cob
17.3 ISH x Dutch Warmblood
15.3 Andalusian
16.2 WelshD/TB X Trak/Hanov

One or two extremes there over 25 yrs everything from Arab to Clydesdale. And up and down in height I ve just realised

tessybear

Visit site
i did back in the day haha, my seat now leaves a lot to be desired :eek::rolleyes: although i can still sit a pretty decent buck :cool:

ahhh thank you :D making me smile! hes a cheeky sod but i wouldnt change him for the world, makes me laugh every day :)

Dont i know that feeling, i think it's as you get older you don't quite bounce if you fall off.. more of a splat ? :D

You are more than welcome , he is extremely lucky to have found you many would have given up, bless him he seems like a star