Have you saved your avatar?!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
There is a post in the Club House which makes it clear that some HHO:ers have missed their messages from HHO Admin, so I'm posting this reminder, the important parts of the HHO Admin message as I can recall it was:

Our avatars might disappear when the forum changes, so all users with avatars needs to save them on their own computers, in case they don't "survive" the transfer, so that we then can reload them to the new forum from our computers.

It also said something about that due to safety reasons, the keep me logged in option will now only last 7 days, so after 1 week you will have to log in again. But even during those 7 days, we will for some reason have to click on "Log in" when we open HHO every day, but without actually "re-logging in" every day?

As I read it, they're keeping this background colour and won't change to something more white.

And there was something about that we aren't going to be able to hide "too long" links behind click here any more, but I didn't understand if it meant that we now will be able to post "too long" links, or if it meant that we perhaps won't be able to hide or rename any links in the future? (If someone wonders, to explain hide or renaming a link, then for example, I think PapaFrita had posted a thread with a photo of her horse dressed in a lot of pink, then on another thread about pink on horses, someone posted a link to PapaFrita's photo renaming the link "PapaFrita will kill me for posting this" or something like that.)

Maybe it is too late and everyone has already gone to bed , and maybe I missed or have already forgotten, something important from the message, but I wanted to give it a try.

Besides I'm not sure I've managed to save my avatar in a way so that I can get it back on to HHO :eek: , I had a HHO page with my avatar visible, pressed the key saying prt sc (= print screen) on my keyboard, opened a Paint window, pasted the printed screen image, then cut out my avatar, pasted my avatar in a new Paint window and saved it. But in my computer, my avatar is only a tiny photo up in the corner of a big white area, so I suspect that it will take me some more work, before I'll be able to get it back on to HHO, if the current HHO version doesn't "survive" the forum change. So fingers crossed that it was just a precaution from HHO Admin.
crossfingers.gif

Hope no threads are lost
lostthread.gif
, and to see you all back after the forum change, I know that I'll be back :cool: .

3633005304_9a2c8f8d5a.jpg

Capriole

Visit site
Message didn't come up for me, but my comp has been left on, maybe it would pop up if I logged out and in again but I cba finding out.
I *think* there is some code from Nah somewhere for the avatar, if not I will find another.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I don't know what I did to get it, I just wrote a reply to a thread, clicked the preview button, and when the page changed, there my message was at the top of my screen. Read it, checked my reply and when I posted my reply, the message disappeared again.
45619_hidingsmile.gif

Glad you have a positive attitude towards possible avatar trouble :) .

Tia0513

Visit site
When you go back into paint with your avatar ... There will be little markers on the outside of the white background bit? Like in the middle and at the corners... Click, hold and drag to make it smaller... You can drag into until there's only your avatar available and no white. Your mouse cursor should change when you find the little markers :) hope that helps.

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this with everyone FL. Just to clarify the background colour of the forum will be changing, but we are going to use an off-white to avoid problems with screen glare.

texas

Visit site
FL - right click with your mouse the avatar, then click 'save picture as' and choose where to save it to your computer :)

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
When you go back into paint with your avatar ... There will be little markers on the outside of the white background bit? Like in the middle and at the corners... Click, hold and drag to make it smaller... You can drag into until there's only your avatar available and no white. Your mouse cursor should change when you find the little markers :) hope that helps.

After you said it, I remember having done something like that back in 2008 when I joined HHO, but now I also recall that it took several tries to get the edges were I wanted them (without any background), and that it took even more attempts before I had managed to save it in a size that was within HHO limits. *sigh*

If Texas advise doesn't work for me, I'll resort to my stubborness, and hopefully I'll get the edges and size right , sooner or later. :)

FL - right click with your mouse the avatar, then click 'save picture as' and choose where to save it to your computer :)

:confused: The first thing I tried yesterday, was to right click my avatar, but I didn't see any 'Save as'-option? Maybe I didn't look properly, anyhow, I tried copying it, but nothing happened when I tried to paste it into a Paint window.

Will put a tin hat and armour on my patience , and give it some more tries.

albeg

Visit site
FL, I've found a colour version of your avatar online, by saving the tiny version from a screen grab you could lose the quality. If you want I can make it black and white and PM it to you?

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Thanks for sharing this with everyone FL. Just to clarify the background colour of the forum will be changing, but we are going to use an off-white to avoid problems with screen glare.

You're welcome.

:eek: I probably read the part about HHO colours in the message, according to what I wanted to read , what a shame we aren't able to keep the colours as they are :(. Off-white *sigh*, well I'll have to give it a try, and see how my eyes react.

I'm sorry if I've mislead anyone about that there would not be any colour change.

A new message from HHO Admin just appeared at the top of my screen, this time I copied it, so that I later would be able to check what it actually said. In case someone missed it:

Dear FinnishLapphund,

Work has now begun on the upgrade of the forum to vBulletin 4. As part of this upgrade the look of the forum will be changed to more closely reflect the content and classified sections of the site. Concerns made by some users about glare associated with the white background have been taken on board and an off-white background will be used on the forum to reduce this issue.

The upgrade of the forum will bring with it improved security. As part of the security improvements the site will only allow you to stay logged in for seven days at a time, rather than indefinitely. There is a 'remember me' option, but this will still require you to click the login button each time you visit the site, as well as prompting you to supply your password once a week.

Another tightening of the security means you will no longer be able to 'hide' a long website URL behind 'click here' text or similar. However, you will be able to use an external URL shortener such as bit.ly if you wish.

We are currently hoping to roll out the next site in the first week of July and there will be a short period of downtime while the upgrade is released. When we have a better idea of when this is likely to be, and how long it might last, we will let you know.

We recommend that users save their avatar images on to their computers before the migration so these can be reloaded if necessary after the changes go through.

Additionally, while we do not envisage a problem wit user Private Messages, you might also want to download your PMs prior to the upgrade - goto your PM page, scroll down and select whichever download format you'd prefer (XML | CSV | Text)

HHO Admin team
Dear H&H forum users

We are going to be introducing occasional 'Promoted posts' on some forum boards. These will be pinned to the top of the board and will enable organisations and companies to engage directly with the forum community without risk of getting their accounts block for breaking the forum's 'no advertising' rules. We will be limiting this service to one post per board, so you are not going to get inundated with ads, but we feel this could be a useful addition to the website. If you have a business who would like to take advantage of this new service, please visit the Form Terms of Service & Use for more details.

We are also inviting forum members who have booked an online classified advert with us on the H&H Buy & Sell website to post a link to their advert in their forum signature. This only applies to adverts on the H&H website and anyone linking to adverts elsewhere on the internet runs the risk of having their account blocked. Horse for sale adverts on Horseandhound.co.uk start from as little as £5 (for horses under £3k, £10 for horses £3-5k and £20 for horses over £5k) and you can book your advert now.

So it looks like we have about a week on us to prepare ourselves *phew*. Sorry again if I've mislead anyone, apparently I have a memory as a sieve
paperbag.gif
*sigh*.

But, to be positive, this time limit gives me time to get my avatar properly saved, and I might as well try to begin going through my PM's later today, don't want to leave it to the last minute.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
hmm it works for me! maybe I could email you the file?

Thank you so much, but I followed your advise and it worked for me too now!

FL, I've found a colour version of your avatar online, by saving the tiny version from a screen grab you could lose the quality. If you want I can make it black and white and PM it to you?

Thank you so much, but as far as I can tell, it hasn't lost any quality.

Besides if you've seen my comment about having a memory like a sieve, I've just realised that I probably should have a copy of my avatar on my external harddrive , somewhere, if I can remember how to see, find things that is stored on it...

Seems a shame that you should have a lot of trouble if I can find it, can I get back to you if I don't make it work?

moana

Visit site
I can quote though - this is the message:_

Dear moana,
Work has now begun on the upgrade of the forum to vBulletin 4. As part of this upgrade the look of the forum will be changed to more closely reflect the content and classified sections of the site. Concerns made by some users about glare associated with the white background have been taken on board and an off-white background will be used on the forum to reduce this issue.

The upgrade of the forum will bring with it improved security. As part of the security improvements the site will only allow you to stay logged in for seven days at a time, rather than indefinitely. There is a 'remember me' option, but this will still require you to click the login button each time you visit the site, as well as prompting you to supply your password once a week.

Another tightening of the security means you will no longer be able to 'hide' a long website URL behind 'click here' text or similar. However, you will be able to use an external URL shortener such as bit.ly if you wish. Browser specific short URL generators are available, such as: Firefox add-ons and Chrome plug-ins

We are currently hoping to roll out the next site in the first week of July and there will be a short period of downtime while the upgrade is released. When we have a better idea of when this is likely to be, and how long it might last, we will let you know.

We recommend that users save their avatar images on to their computers before the migration so these can be reloaded if necessary after the changes go through.

Additionally, while we do not envisage a problem wit user Private Messages, you might also want to download your PMs prior to the upgrade - goto your PM page, scroll down and select whichever download format you'd prefer (XML | CSV | Text)

Last edited:

texas

Visit site
Great news that it worked this time, how frustrating when things should be easy but refuse to work as expected!