Have you turned out this morning?

Jesstickle

Visit site
I am not worried about them being out, it's the bringing in I dread the most, especially if I'm on my own. It's really hard leading the last two in and trying to stop the gate from slamming onto them. The other day there was a huge monster behind us and both refused to face forwards. I had to back them all the way into the yard! :rolleyes:

This is the problem I have with my two in high wind and rain! I'm always the last to bring in as I work latest and live furthest away and by the time I get there they are thoroughly cross and don't hesitate to make me aware of it! :mad:

OFG

Visit site
Mine are out. 2 are natives and the old boy has his full neck rug on so hopefully he won't mind so much. Am wondering if I should have kept them in though as its blowing a gale and rain is lashing down. Supposed to move off later so expect it will be fine.

At the end of the day they are horses and I must remember not to pamper them too much!

If old boy stays in he will only get puffy legs and stiffen up. I used to leave the gate open so they had access to their stables but new pony is a bit more dominent and wouldn't want him cornering one of the other 2 and causing injury. Best to leave them in field.

horsesforcourses

Visit site
All mine are in (well for now), with torrential rain, field on a slope, they would be waterskiing down to the fenceline. Especially with the high wind as well.
Luckily not working today, so can pop them out later if weather abates.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I have it easy! I open their stable doors, open the gate to the yard and they come in and have a nose about and then go into their stables.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I have it easy! I open their stable doors, open the gate to the yard and they come in and have a nose about and then go into their stables.

If I could do that, mine would be out. Infact what I get is a ten minute trudge through thick mud up to my knees with two pissed off, flightyt TB type youngsters! Lovely!

caitlineloise

Visit site
Mines out in a light weight! Bad mummy! :D

Honestly unless there really is no shelter what so ever I see no reason why they shouldn't be out. We turn out it all weathers. They're horses. It's not like standing your elderly grandmother out it in.

icyfreya

Visit site
I turned out at 7:30 into the jumping paddock which is more sheltered, so he got a stretch of his legs, mucked out & filled lots of haynets etc, then brought him back in at 9 - he is not happy and would rather be out but all bar 1 of the 20 horses are in and it is blowing a gale & heavy rain.

illy89

Visit site
I have 4 that live out 24/7 with a field shelter so they are all out in this but my two competition horses are usually out in the day and in and night. I have kept them in today as their field is very muddy and grass is none existent. They would just stand in the field and eat hay then stand by the gate wanting to come in so figured they might as well eat their hay in their nice warm stables - neither of them seem to bothered about this!!

sakura

Visit site
no, she stood at the back of her stable trying her best to tell me she didn't want to go out. I'd already decided to keep her in tho

it's peeing it down on an already saturated field and blowing a gale, it's just not worth it when she's happier indoors

Last edited:

RubysGold

Visit site
Mine are in today.
The yard owner has asked us not to turn out because the field Will just get trashed.
I wouldn't have turned my two out anyway because roo hates bad weather, she's happier being in, if i turned her out she would just stand at the gate

Trish C

Visit site
Mine lives out. Reasonable amount of shelter in the field, but my genius of a hungry bog hippo is such a pig he'd rather stand in the belting rain (which he hates) being blown over to eat the haylage than take a break and seek a bit of shelter. He'll occasionally have a break to go hooning around, so keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't do himself another injury.

Will bring him in for a couple of hours later, which will be fun in itself :rolleyes:

glamourpuss

Visit site
Of course mine are out, they go out whatever the weather. The 2 wimpy TB's mooched off across the field happy to be out. The welsh mountain however took some convincing :)

Mince Pie

Visit site
Mine are in.... but only because my bloody TB trashed the fencing *again* yesterday so I have to wait for it to be fixed. They would normally go out.

Nocturnal

Visit site
In. They'd be out on their own all day otherwise, and they'd be waiting at the gate for most of it. Besides, last night my TB couldn't get in quick enough, and he always drags his heels when its time to come in, so I can't imagine he'd be too impressed with being out all day in this.

JFTDWS

Visit site
No I didn't turn out - I left them out though. If they survived the night, I reckon they can survive the day ;)

I did wonder as I was driving up there whether the stables, fencing and horses would be where I left them though...

benson21

Visit site
Donovan is in. I dont really see that there is a definate right or wrong way with this one. Its more to do with what is right for the horse and the circumstances. If horse is happy in, doesnt stress, field waterlogged and getting trashed, then leave in. On the other hand, if the field is draining well, horse happier out, has shelter, then put out.

Potato!

Visit site
Mine are out only because I have someone putting a new layer of hardcore into the stables today as I have the wet coming up through the floor. I wish they were in though as im dreading seeing the mess they are making.

Last edited:

becca1305

Visit site
Mine have been in as has been blowing a gale and raining heavily and I know all they would do is stand by the field gate in a huddle and look miserable. The rains stopped now & though it is still really windy Im going to chuck them out :)

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mines in, awful awful weather. She hates it & has been out for an hour while i did her stable-she spent most of it galloping about to her field gate.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Oh no my horse shrinks in the rain lol

Depending on how strong the wind is, as there are trees in the fields, I wouldn't turn out if it was too bad

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
In/out.... they arent turned out now, they have a few months of being on the hardcore and then when it starts to dry up a little they can return to the field again. I have little grazing and to be honest whenever I turnout all they do is stand at the gate. The tb and Welsh have taken up situe in the shelter and don't look like they have plans on moving for most of the day and the girls have run of the concrete yard.

I can't wait till the hays cut and I can get them on their massive summer grazing :)

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
Yeah threw mines out in lightweight 8am today - horizontal rain and winds and he has no shelter! TBH he is happy out munching as he loves his food, his pals have stayed in but he is fine- the yard refused to bring in due to safety - we have lost doors and roofs etc here at yard!
Figured my boy safer out , but can understand yard not putting there staff at risk outside when debris flying about - winds to die down in PM here was 95MPH this morning at 7am.

My daughter is getting him in at lunchtime for me as normally yard does and Im at work

Personally prefer them out - they are happier also

Firewell

Visit site
Nope. J's in. Not my decision though as I was tucked up in bed and my mum did him this morning :D.
Normally we chuck out no matter what the weather so it must have been really bad for my mum to keep them in but I trust her decision 100%.
I can go up early this afternoon 2/3pm anyway and either ride or chuck them both out for a bit so I'm not too worried.

Samantha008

Visit site
I have but regretted it as soon as i did it. Was thinking "horses should be horses and live out" however after trunching through mud to get to the field, watching her chase hay around and all the other horses hugging like penguins, i was thinking a duvet day would have been better. She did look at me asif to say "Your not leaving me out in this??? "