Having 2 horses and working full time, how do people do it?

ann-jen

Visit site
My current horse is 18 and although far from ready to be retired to pasture is no longer physically able to compete at the level that I want to do.
So I've decided that its time to start looking for another horse to compete. Obviously this is going to be a huge commitment in both time and money as I work 12 hour shifts and so the horses will both have to be on full livery. So huge financial commitment. But it's also the time factor as although I want to scale down what the old girl does she is still very spritely and capable if doing a job at a lower intensity.
I've been through my options and haven't totally eliminated the possibility if a sharer, although she's a quirky old ****** and certainly not anyone's ride. So not suitable for an outright novice and yet would a more experienced rider be happy with the amount that the mare can do?? Loaning/selling not an option for me.
I guess what I'm really asking is how do people manage time wise riding 2 after work. Realistically I'm wondering if I can keep the old girl ticking over riding her 3-4 times a week and whether that would keep her fit enough to do BD at elementary and poss the odd hunter trial? And ride the new horse 5-6 times a week to keep it fit enough to do BS?
I wondered if anyone has been in the same position and how they managed? I am an emotional wreck, as instead of feeling excited at the prospect of a new horse I'm feeling very bittersweet emotions at semi retiring my old girl. At the end of the day she's been a great servant to me and owes me nothing so I don't want to compromise her needs by taking on a second horse. Am probably just being daft!

paddi22

Visit site
i work out a schedule where I mix up long and short sessions for each. So if I do a really long hack on one, the other gets that day off. If a session is long for one, then i lunge the other that day. I can't fit in 2 medium or long sessions for both each day, so i just have to mix it up.

Can you lead one from the other? I can't with mine as he's a kicker, but it would have made my life easier!

scheherazade

Visit site
The key to it is to be organised. I work full time (8.30 to 6 ish), and have an 8 year old daughter, am mucking out 5 after work most days (only 2 on the other 2 days) I have one in full work and the other on in hand walking exercise, it is possible to fit it all in but you just have to be really efficient with what you do and plan your time carefully. A big consideration is whether you have lights in a school - it's pretty straightforward at this time of year but will you still cope when the winter sets in? Good luck whatever you choose

wench

Visit site
I tried, and wish I had never bothered. Unless livery includes riding, I wouldnt bother trying with two horses.

CeeCee

Visit site
It's doable but very hard work. I would certainly look down the sharer route, like you I have a quirky 18yo, I have a sharer for him at the weekends, she mostly hacks him out and does a little schooling which keeps him fit and entertained. I feel it takes the pressure off me to ride him when i'm perhaps out at competitions all weekend with the younger horse. My lady is a bit older who isn't ambitious to compete but can ride, so my old boy suits her well.

As already suggested in the week I tend to alternate the two horses between ridden and lunging, so for example I'd school my younger horse and lunge the old boy, then the following day hack the old boy and pessoa the younger one.

The hardest thing I find is my lack of social life, or the guilt if I have a day off!

Certainly don't feel guilty about getting another, the way I see it is my old boy is in his forever home being loved and looked after by two riders!

Frosty89

Visit site
I tried it but felt my older horse was being pushed aside because all my time was being spent working with my youngster.

I made the decision to put him out on permeant loan to a lady just up the road who has her own land/stables and just wanted to hack every now and again (although he's far from a suitable happy hacker). He is very happy in his new home and he is loved dearly. It's great because I can still go up to visit/ ride him whenever I want.

paddi22

Visit site
Forgot to say, it's handy if the competition seasons you aim for don't overlap. Like my main lad will be turned out after eventing season for a few months on grass livery over winter, and then brought back in early next year to get fit for hunter trialling. It just takes so much pressure off during dark evenings! While he's out I get to concentrate on the other one.

katiieking

Visit site
I work full time 9-5 5days a week! Leaving the house at 7am and home at 6.45pm.

I have three horses and find it do-able!

Up at 6am, fed by 6.30am and changed for work (the stables are at home).

Home from work, tea, down to the stables, much out & ride two (I rotate which two) and then up and into bed!

---

Again, I find it do-able, but I have very little social life and no money to spare!
For me, its a passion, and the fact I have no free time or money doesnt bother me!

But, it depends what you find enjoyable! :)

ann-jen

Visit site
Thanks ever so much for all the input :). Certainly some food for thought! I've been speaking to a friend who would be willing to ride the old girl maybe once or twice a week. But this would be for no financial contribution. I think it would maybe help me with the initial transition going up to two horses by taking the pressure off re riding two and help me out whilst looking for a suitable sharer. So that would appear to help me in the short term. It seems organisation is the key and fortunately I am a very organised person at the best of times to the point of being anal over it lol. So in starting to think it might be do-able!!

shadowboy

Visit site
I have two youngsters!! I am a teacher so have a few holidays more than others which is helpful but also do some really late work nights. Summer is fine when they are out 24/7 it's winter I hate. I get up at 5.50am have breakfast etc then walk the dog for 40 min then leave at 7.30am I get to yard at 7.40am and rug up and turn out- soak hay (in prefilled nets/ water buckets already filled) and leave for work at 8am I get to work at 8.45am and leave at 4pm if I have no other commitments or parents evenings etc get to yard at 4.45pm muck out two and bring in. I ride one a day but my OH rides the other on a hack with me at weekends or the odd evening. I leave the yard at 7pm get home have dinner and shower (OH will have walked dog and cooked while I'm at yard) then I to bed half 10! They coste £500 a month in winter £300 in summer

Gamebird

Visit site
In my job (same profession to OP I think?) I don't work very long hours (8.30-5, or whenever finished if later), but I am on call every second night and every second weekend as well. I have two eventers on DIY livery and have just bought another horse to break in and sell.

I am a bit of a horse-aholic, but I do find myself underoccupied with just one horse. At the moment I'm quite lazy in the mornings - get to yard just after 7am, feed, muck out, bed up and generally leave everything ready for night then head off to work. At night all I have to do is ride and feed. A horsewalker helps me - I can put one horse on tacked up to warm up whilst I ride the other, then the ridden horse goes on the walker to walk off whilst I get on a ready warmed-up second horse. If I'm jumping they usually both go on to warm-up and walk off. I reckon it saves me about 15-20mins/horse.

It's perfectly doable, but only do it if you really want to. If it's a chore you'd be better off not bothering as it does have the potential to drag you down in the winter. I think the idea of a sharer/loaner for your old girl is a good one.

ann-jen

Visit site
Yes you remember right. We do the same job except i do longer hours. Sometimes til 8pm, 1 in 3 weekends but no on call any more thankfully! I am off on a Thursday, so I'm thinking I can ride them both on my day off, and weekends and if my friend would hack the old girl a couple of times a week through the week that it should be doable! Starting to feel excited. Just now have the hunt to find the right one!!!

elsiex

Visit site
I work 9-4 and my 2 are on assisted livery, which means they are turned out in the morning. I then get to the yard at 4.15 approx (work only a 10min drive away luckily) and muck out, hay, feed etc, bring in.

One of mine is in full work and I compete BS most weekends. I ride/lunge him approx 4-5 times per week. The other is a light hack (she was retired from competition due to injury) and I hack her out probably 2-3times per week.

I find it hard to be honest, and I really could do without having my mare. I do see her as a chore, and don't particularly enjoy her! But I have ummed and ahhed about what to do with her for so long. So I am stuck with her!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well depends on the fitness level you are aiming for

I found the answer was to accept weekday work was boring and ride one and lead one or two and listen to an audiobook whilst you do hours of trotting (occasional canter, but sometimes goes wrong!)

Then intensive training or competing at the weekend - this probably wouldn't get them eventing fit though. So make sure the new one is or has high TB% as they are much easier to get fit.

Joyous70

Visit site
I have two horses work full time 7.30 - 4pm 5 days a week, currently i am not riding at all as one is a youngster and the old boy is now retired.

I did used to have the old boy in work and my other boy in work also, although I only competed to RC level, i would ride one or the other every night, apart from Monday's, the old boy would do a steady hack a couple of times a week, the other one would school and or hack 2-3 times a week and decent long hacks at weekends for both of them. Mine both lived out 24/7 even in winter, which was very helpful as im DIY.

Its do-able but you have to want to do it, a sharer or someone to ride your older horse would be a great idea to give you time to concentrate more on your new horse, good luck.

ecrozier

Visit site
I think for the majority of people, the level of fitness you require can be key. I have two in work, on DIY and also work full time. I would struggle to keep both eventing fit, definitely. But for RC SJ/dressage they do ok. I tend to use the walker one day a week to give me a day off and put them both on for 30 mins at quite a brisk pace! Then I will ride each twice during the week, and try to ride both on Saturday and Sunday, so each works 5 days a week.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
I have just bought a second horse a month ago. I have now gone DIY (previously full livery).

It is doable but is hard work.

One of mine gets ridden once a week, which is all I can afford as I have 2 lessons a week on my new boy. I then lunge my other boy 3 or 4 times a week and my new boy 2 times a week.

I am up at 6am then get home after I have done them both after work at 8.30pm. I am MAD!

It is easier at the moment as it is summer, not sure what I will do in the winter!

Gamebird

Visit site
Yes you remember right. We do the same job except i do longer hours. Sometimes til 8pm, 1 in 3 weekends but no on call any more thankfully! I am off on a Thursday, so I'm thinking I can ride them both on my day off, and weekends and if my friend would hack the old girl a couple of times a week through the week that it should be doable! Starting to feel excited. Just now have the hunt to find the right one!!!

I have Wed afternoons off so try to do some competing or lessons then as I'm stuck at home every second weekend.

Good luck!

star

Visit site
I work 9 till 7 and at one point was juggling 3 in work. I put one out on loan though and my old boy is 27 now so I have a couple of sharers who hack him out and if I have a day off then sometimes I take him out. I couldn't have kept all of them in work without a floodlit school. I was working 2 of them 5days a week which meant 3 days during the week where I had to ride both and would normally just do shorter sessions or lunge on those days. It was hard work though. I enjoy riding a lot more when I just have one given the hours I work.

star

Visit site
Oh and I keep them all living out 24/7 which saves loads of time.

I also get wed afternoons off and dont start till 11am on a monday as do late evening surgery that day till 8.30pm but is one more day I can ride in daylight in winter. Thankfully no on call!

ajn1610

Visit site
I have 4 horses at my Mum and Dad's 2 of which are mine, the other two are Mums. I'm in a similar situation in that one horse is older (20) but no where near retirement. I think keeping a horse working and fit makes them last longer. I have a second horse that I try to event.
I'm a Teacher, I work fairly long hours (can someone let Mr Gove know please?) I'm at work between 7.15 am and 8.15 dependent on early morning meetings and how busy my day is. I prefer to stay at work to do my marking and planning and generally leave about 6.00pm (when the caretakers kick me out) except on a Friday when I leg it at 4.00pm :). I usually have about 10 hours to do in addition to the time I spend at work so during term time I'm upto about 60 hours a week although during busy periods with parents evenings, reports to write, exam revision sessions it's not unusual for it to be more like 70 hours and I have been known to do 80. I also Tutor for extra money to fund my eventing. About now I'm starting to wish I hadn't written this post because I've just suceeded in depressing myself!
I don't have to do any stable chores during the week as we have some brilliant help. My Mum lunges or rides for me at least once a week but often twice. I have a couple of friends who come and ride out the older boy on a semi regular basis which is a massive help because I can exercise everyone together on a hack and save time. I usually manage to ride once a week and then obviously have the weekends. I can't manage anything else term time really but I can block book lessons for during the holidays and the Summers are wonderful. I think my little horse is not really suitable for this approach tbh, she's one that needs lots of work and keeping busy to perform well so we pretty much suck most of the time but I'm stuck with her for various reasons so I just aim to go and have fun.
However nothing else gets done, my house is a wreck, I can't possibly maintain a relationship and frequently feel like a really crappy friend.
I think you can do it provided you are at a yard where you can get help as and when required and have someone ride or lunge for you in the week and that has good facillities in terms of a surface with lights so you can ride whenever you can fit it in.
I also think you need to give careful though to the future purchase and buy something that is already producing results under a similar management routine, in other words a true working mans horse that you can pick up and take to an event after a couple of days work in the week that is going to perform still and not try and kill you. I also think it depends on what level you want to compete at, Grassroots is fine but anything beyond Novice is going to be a struggle because of the required fitness.

ann-jen

Visit site
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one working crazy hours that considers this. I'm sure the situation is workable with help from friends and finding a suitable sharer :)

SnowGoose

Visit site
I had two while working full time in practice, 1:3 on call, two 8.30pm finishes, two 5pm finishes and 2pm finish on a wed. Was do-able with both on full livery. As someone suggested working out what you want to compete at and splitting season helps. My younger horse would start comp prep jan, compete mar-sept then have holiday just hacking weekends until Christmas. Older horse would start at Easter once clocks changed then compete through until christmas then have holiday. Meant during winter with extra mucking out etc only had one in full work at a time, then in summer when evenings lighter had time for two. Each had day off/week in summer so would only ride one on my late shifts. Very occasionally I'd give myself a day off too but generally when I was away doing CPD!

humblepie

Visit site
I have had two probably for most of the last 25 years whilst working full time, at varying stages on DIY, part livery, then one in full livery at a show yard with the other on DIY.

It is do-able though generally rather like you I have had one in quieter work and another coming through.

One think - don't underestimate, which I am sure you are not - how much extra a second one does cost. The shoeing alone is scary!

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
I have three horses and work full time and I struggle. Currently have one on box rest, two living out and I am riding my sisters horse. It is hard work, makes me poor and have very little spare time. Really want to downsize... My problem is one is retired, one is a baby and the other has just had colic surgery.

One of my main probs is getting someone else to do them if I can't e.g if I want to go out straight after work or if I have a 9:30 meeting in London (1:30 on the train!).

Firewell

Visit site
Well my mum did it with 2 horses for many years but she did have long term sharers who helped. It's hard finding good sharers but she was lucky.
I tried it for a short while with 2 on DIY and a full time job and I couldn't do it. I felt I had to sacrifice time with either one of them in order to fit everything in and riding every day felt like a rush andin the end I could only ride them 4x a week max each.
I found it literally double trouble. Everything took twice as long (obviously), was twice as expensive and was twice the worry. It was a relief when one went and I could go back to giving my one horse a proper brush each night, having time to poo pick each day ect.

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
I used to work in the centre of London, I had 3 competing horses at the time, I used to leave for work at 7am and not get home til 7pm. In winter I wouldnt see them in daylight during the week! It requires dedication! :rolleyes:
I used to get up at 4.45am feed muck out and turn out in the dark, shower and leave by 7am (drive to the station and 20 odd stops on the tube ZzZzz! :eek:). Get home at 7pm, they would already be in and i'd ride 2 on rotation, 45 mins each horse more/less depending on how they behaved and put them to bed around 9pm.
Sometimes on Friday I used to get a different train home and meet my dad at a tube station near the SJ venue, he would be in the lorry with my 3 horses on board and would go evening showjumping sometime not getting home til gone 1am. I used to compete them most weekends. :D I did fall asleep on the tube on many occassions lol :eek: :rolleyes:
I did get a job closer to home, that meant I didn't have to leave til 8am and would get home at 6pm, which made life abit easier but I then also gained a few more horses... ooops! But they consisted of a youngster and a few broodmares lol!! I had 8 horses and a full time job with 3 foals due, when I gave up work to do horses as a job that was 12 years ago!:eek:
Funny as now I wouldnt dream of riding in the dark... don't even have lights on the arena anymore but I used to hack in the dark, school in the dark... whatever the weather lol!! :rolleyes:

rowy

Visit site
I have 3 horses, although one is a youngster and just coming into work and I have found it sooo difficult. It is really starting to try my motivation for riding as a whole. I just can't be bothered. Especially as I work with horses as well.
I havent yet got a full time job as I have been at uni but will be looking for a full time job as of this summer when I finish. I am also seriously considering what to do with my 3. The older made is retiring from competing in dressage (she is 20) and my sister is taking her over as a fun hack/ jump/ alrounder type and I think I need to sell one of my others so I just have one key competition horse to concentrate on.

I would seriously consider getting another as you don't want to end up hating riding. Especially taking into consideration winter.

pearcider

Visit site
If you want to do it you do!

I work full time as a PA...and Im not event going to tell you how many horses I have in full work (ranging from BE80 to Novice)/ in for schooling/teach a week...I manage to do it by never going out and being at the yard until late each night...why do I do it...because I want to :)