Having a livery at home - who's done it?

kit279

Visit site
Further to my last post about moving, I have my eye on a really lovely equestrian set up with a big 20x60m arena and nine stables with 12 acres- immaculate former dressage yard. We're pretty sure we'd like to buy it but we both work full time and have been talking about getting a livery or renting a bit of the yard.

From my perspective, I have a maximum of 3 horses and my OH is not horsey at all. Ideally I'd like to find a like minded person to share the yard, maybe go competing together and train together. It would need to be someone of similar ideas, if that makes sense, because it would be our home and therefore not a livery yard. I probably wouldn't want to make any money out of the arrangement as not looking to run a business but just some company and someone to hold the fort occasionally if we're on call or away.

Does this sort of set up work? Any experiences? I don't think I'd want a pro rider in as I think our aims and expectations would be different but does such a person exist?

Thoughts and advice please :)

glamourpuss

Visit site
This is the sort of set up I was thinking of having. The pros for me were:
1) a bit of extra money (I'm lead to believe 1 private livery is treated the same as a lodger in your house so you aren't liable for business rates etc)
2) company
3) help in the case of sickness/emergencies/holiday
Cons:
1) who to have? Potential to end up with psycho. Also after having an experience where a good friend ripped me off when I helped her out this winter this leaves me a bit wobbly :(
2) Insurance. I got a bit scared with regards to the current 'sue you' nature & if something happened on my property what would I be liable (possibly this could be overcome with water tight contracts?)
3) I actually quite like my own space & company. I don't know if I want to share :D

Jane_Lou

Visit site
How close to Milton Keynes did you say you were ;)

A friend keeps her horses with someone who is a longhaul pilot and is therefore away a lot. She does the horses when the owner is away and then when the owner is home the owner turns out for my friend in the morning which saves her the trip but also gives the owner some peaceful time at home without anyone else around.

They both showjump so compete and train a lot together which works well. Friend pays a token amount towards electricity and water. This arrangement has been in place for over ten years now and it works for both of them.

Polotash

Visit site
Yes it works but you need to be fussy about the person, have clear ground rules, and be prepared to have a few attempts at getting the right person AND the right horses (if it kicks the door or bullies your horses this causes even the best human to human livery relationship to fail!)

We had one lady years ago who'd turn up and just walk into the house, plonk herself down at the breakfast table and start chatting, rather than actually go and do her horse (I should explain our house is not even on the yard, it's down a separate drive!). The one we have now has been with us for 15+ years and is generally well behaved, although we have the odd "going over ground rules" chat!

Ilovefoals

Visit site
I have done it. The first time didn't work out as I really just took the first person who came along as I was so desperate for company. They had totally different thoughts on how to keep horses if you get my meaning.

Second time I was more selective and thoroughly vetted the person. She was great and we were able to hack out together, have a good yap everyday and became good friends. I charged her virtually nothing and she helped me with poo picking and with my youngster. I was sad when she left the area. So it can work great, just be selective and make sure the ground rules are understood.

ajf

Visit site
Yes like the others this can work BUT u need to be really picky!

Some people will expect u to literally do their horse for them, since u own the place u don't have anything better to do right? ;-) some that are 'experienced' end up askin stupid questions all the time which drives me crazy (do u think he's warm? Should I feed him more? What would u do with his bed?)

Also be wary of the horse and any vices etc

If u find a good one they are brilliant

Fanatical

Visit site
If only you were in Cheshire!!! Good luck - I'd do it if I was in your position, just as others have said, be very selective!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
When I was planning on having stables build I planned to put in 4 stables to allow me to be able to have a livery/friend keep their horses at mine.

I have a friends youngster just now as he is keeping my other youngster company which is working well.

In a couple of years I would love to have a livery. My thought would be to offer field/stables and arena for someone with one or two horses. No livery cost in return for mucking out my two daily and helping when I'm away.

The only problem is that this year we have no grass (29 acres) so I'd be worried that with 4 horses I'd be struggling with grazing in the future. (Sheep graze on it too). I'd want the owner to run their two horses together (not with any other) and would want them in at nights all year round. Would provide straw/hay but not hard feed (No sugar beet allowed due to hungry lab)

I don't know if I'd find that kind of help in return for livery. And what would you do if it went wrong and you fell out? What about falls/injuries? Etc

Think I probably wouldn't get someone but it was a thought I had. :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you find the right person it sounds like it would be invaluable (company, help, money contribution etc.)

But having had a nightmare with a 'friend' who came for a few weeks while she moved house (never quite had the money to pay me, ponies were a nightmare - trashed fenced, wouldn't be caught when escaped etc., refused to poo pick even tho I said that was pretty much my only condition, didn't turn up certain days so I ended up doing them, lied to me about worming them before they came and to top it one of the ponies arrived crippled with lami took weeks of me nagging for her to get the vet then she wouldn't do what vet said and she couldn't find £20 for the farrier to look at it's feet !!!!!) I'd be very very careful and ultra choosy if there ever was a next time.

I'd certainly make sure you weren't relying on their cash/ help and so you can get rid at short notice if it didn't work out

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ditto above comments basically.

We live here on site and have room for one DIY livery.

In twenty years of doing it we've only ever had one bad-un and she stayed for less than a month; but that month was sheer hell - pony left in the stable literally crawling up the walls (and door); pony left without food & water; livery went off for the weekend & we didn't know where TF she'd gone.

You need to choose very carefully. But there ARE perfect liveries out there: I know coz I've got her!!! (and no, no-one else is having her, I'm being very selfish!).

Britestar

Visit site
I have this arrangement and have done for years. Person is my best friend. Her horses are mine, mine are hers. If one of us is away, the other holds the fort. She works nights so when on a run of a few days I do them. Like wise when i'm working late she brings them in.
We ride out together daily and share transport to lessons and comps.
I also have another horse onsite belonging to another friend who has kept her pony/horse with me since she was 14yrs old. She is now married with a young child so we don't see her so often but when she is up she mucks in too.
For me it's the perfect set up.

Sprig

Visit site
I wouldn't but then I like to have my house as my escape from everyone else.

Also do you need a mortgage to buy the place? If so the mortgage company will want you to get a commercial mortgage, with a correspondingly higher rate. Regardless of letting out a stable or two the amount of land that comes with the package will put you in the same situation. When we bought our house we were told that anything over 3 aces the bank start to look closely at for a residential mortgage and over 5 you will really struggle to justify it.

L&M

Visit site
I offered livery for the last 6 yrs and have recently given it up, bar a couple of 'long termers', who have become trusted family friends.

I found it very hard to have strangers on my property, especially if they didn't share the same standards of welfare that I did. The constant comings and goings became irritating after a while, and we lost our family privacy as the yard was run from home.

Whatever rules and contracts you put in place, it is rare to find a client who respects your property as you do. On a small yard things can become quite uncomfortable if you don't see eye to eye, and on a couple of occasions I have had to ask people to leave which is not much fun.

I also found that for what I earned the majority went on repairing fields and maintaining fencing etc, and after paying the relevant insurances etc, often just broke even. A lot of work for not much gain.....

I now work part time instead and our property has become our 'home' again, and would be very reluctant to take a new livery on now.

LCobby

Visit site
When we bought our house we were told that anything over 3 aces the bank start to look closely at for a residential mortgage and over 5 you will really struggle to justify it.
We bought 8 acres wiht 7 stables, told bank we currently had 4 horses but it was all to be private, and no problem with it being treated as private residential. (HSBC)
Some other banks would not even look at more than 2.5 acres as private.

imr

Visit site
My sis is a livery in this kind of setup. She gets on really well with the lady whose yard it is, and is always very conscious that it is.not a livery business as such. It works well but the lady did have to ask a previous livery to leave.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I would rent half the yard to a professional rider. I have just rented out a block of 5 stables to a professional dressage rider :) Prehaps rent out 4/5 stables with 4 acres of grazing, you should get about £35 per horse per week for this.

lme

Visit site
I'd second the suggestion of renting stables to a professional. Apart from anything else, they are likely to be around / wanting to work their horses when you're working, so it puts less pressure on facilities.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Yes, my parents have had two. First we got through word of mouth, parents wanted someone to look after my pony when I was at school, so she kept hers there for free and did my pony (this was YEARS ago!). It worked well because she was v happy to have the place largely to herself for free and my parents aren't that demanding. She had to keep the place tidy and muck pick each day, that was about it. Then one winter it was too wet to ride in the fields and parents asked her not to... her BF got v stroppy and said she shd be allowed to ride where she wanted, so she left!

Now we have someone who keeps his v cheaply and helps out with odd bits like mending fences. Rules are still the same, plus mum has asked him not to have a few people down to ride; she doesn't like anyone who has loud conversations on their phone such that she can hear them in the garden of a summer evening!

I think it can work and it'd be better to find someone who's known to you. You also need to be prepared to speak your mind if they annoy you!

MillionDollar

Visit site
I'd second the suggestion of renting stables to a professional. Apart from anything else, they are likely to be around / wanting to work their horses when you're working, so it puts less pressure on facilities.

Exactly, most pro riders like to ride all of their horses in the morning so their afternoons are free for teaching. Also most professionals will keep the yard clean and tidy, and they want to keep a good reputation. Obviously not saying every pro rider would be the perfect tenant, just make sure you vet them thoroughly and get references :)