Having a mare jabbed to bring her into season

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Why might it not have worked?

Long story. I have a very randy TB mare who has been very obvious in season. I sent her off to the stallion, she should have gone on the Friday when I expected her to be coming into season, she went on the Sunday morning due to unavoidable reasons and showed no interest in the stallion whatsoever. By the following Monday she was still not interested so as the vet was out anyway she was jabbed to bring her on. It's now a week later again and although she's turned out next to the stallion she has shown no interest in him at all.

I had assumed the jab was pretty foolproof and had been told it would take a couple of days. By the end of this week she should be in season again anyway, according to her cycle.

What's running through the back of my mind is that she has been turned out with my elderly welsh boy who has been covering her. That's how we've known when her seasons were, however although he's been examined by vets as he has a strange lump in his scrotum and we've been assured he is indeed a gelding not a rig he has never been tested. One of the most obvious reasons, to my mind, for the mare not coming into season would be that she's already in foal. . .

Someone set my mind at rest, please. He's a lovely boy but I've known him as a gelding for far too long and I certainly wouldn't have bred the mare to him!

Revena

Visit site
Hi, definitely read the article but in simple terms, your vet should have scanned before he pg'd otherwise you are simply wasting your time. Scanning may seem an 'extra' cost but in the long term it saves a lit of faffing around, the jab will not always bring your mare in season at any part of her cycle, this is a myth! Hope this helps. :)

*hic*

Visit site
Thank you for those replies.

The mare is still away and a scan was not offered. The stud owner suggested the jab after I'd said I'd take the mare away and bring her back again, the vet was already there at that time. Assuming it won't have messed up her cycle she'll be back in at the end of this week anyway.

That does put my mind at rest somewhat! Waste of money, yes, but at least I'm not looking to have to take stallion precautions with an elderly "gelding".

welshsporthorse

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Same as above, we always scan before pg,ing, With some mares who dont show, we find that the owner has just missed them and too fresh a CL will not make them responsive to the PG. I was surprised recently when a vet down in Wiltshire claiming to be a top notch reproductive vet who had been doing the job for 22 years had pg,d with no scan, we were on stand by for semen. We then sent the semen for the tues am and she did then decide to scan before inseminating and the mare had already ovulated over the weekend. A waste of everyones efforts esp the stallion. Always scan !

gingerfilly

Visit site
Thats interesting, I have had a couple of my mares jabbed to bring them on and neither of them scanned and they took both times. One covered in hand the other ran with the stallion. I knew that there was always an opition to scan them but the vet had always said just to jab and tease with our stalliosn and they came into season 4/5 days later.

BigRed

Visit site
One thing you will need to bear in mind, when she comes back from stud, do not turn her out with this gelding if he is covering her, even in play - he may tease her back into season and she could absorb the foal.

AndyPandy

Visit site
One thing you will need to bear in mind, when she comes back from stud, do not turn her out with this gelding if he is covering her, even in play - he may tease her back into season and she could absorb the foal.

A mare cannot be teased into season. Her cycle is independent of stallions or geldings around her... otherwise how could a mare in a wild harem ever maintain a pregnancy?

The worry is that some geldings can achieve erections, and if he penetrated the cervix then that would cause the foal to abort.

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Someone posted an article recently though about how being with geldings can abort foals?

Not all pg's work and I've always known people to scan beforehand else its a waste sometimes

*hic*

Visit site
The mare won't be going out with either of my geldings as they have both been seen to climb on and penetrate. One we know was cut very late (9 years old) but I don't know if he was ever used, the other is an unknown quantity. Neither of them are interested in mares unless the mare is actively pestering them though.

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=18106
thats the article and the thread is:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=456736&highlight=gelding+abortions

I'm not entirely sure it is right though but just passing it on :) And in the wild... geldings would not exist? Because in the wild there is no castration, colts are just shunned from the herd and form juvenile packs which then steal mares off other herds? This is what I learnt in Equine Behaviour anyway, so do correct me if I'm wrong :)

gingerfilly

Visit site
I'm not entirely sure it is right though but just passing it on :) And in the wild... geldings would not exist? Because in the wild there is no castration, colts are just shunned from the herd and form juvenile packs which then steal mares off other herds? This is what I learnt in Equine Behaviour anyway, so do correct me if I'm wrong :)

You would be correct, and also we have to remember that our horses arent in the wild, and I have seen it many time where turning out a mare with a gelding after covering etc has caused the mare to come back into season therefore loosing the foal. So if you are serious about getting your mare in foal and staying in foal its best to keep her away from the geldings.

I should have said in my earlier post, you maybe would be best to get her scanned in case she is in foal (chances very slim) to one of the geldings, I know it is a little extra expense but its maybe worth it :)