having a think about feeds - thoughts please...

JenHunt

Visit site
Our two are 20, both around 16.2 mark, 1 IDx one Han x Welsh. Ron is the IDx and very very starch sensitive. Tom is anything but and will always cope with more feeding. They will both be hunting once per week (ish) and hacking out once or twice a week besides. They are out 24/5, only in the nights either side of hunting. Both pretty good doers though Tom will run up if we don't keep an eye on him.

So I've got Ron's ration sorted for the winter:
Alfa Oil, SpeediBeet, Linseed meal, Hack Up Supplement and ad lib haylage

It's Tom that I want a bit of help on... So he'll get the same basic ration as Ron, but he's not keen on SpeediBeet, won't even consider alfabeet, or even molassed sugarbeet (yes, he's odd), so I'm considering topping up his ration (for energy sake rather than fibre) with tiger oats. or maybe a mix (if so what?).....

any thoughts?

Rouletterose

Visit site
Our two are 20, both around 16.2 mark, 1 IDx one Han x Welsh. Ron is the IDx and very very starch sensitive. Tom is anything but and will always cope with more feeding. They will both be hunting once per week (ish) and hacking out once or twice a week besides. They are out 24/5, only in the nights either side of hunting. Both pretty good doers though Tom will run up if we don't keep an eye on him.

So I've got Ron's ration sorted for the winter:
Alfa Oil, SpeediBeet, Linseed meal, Hack Up Supplement and ad lib haylage

It's Tom that I want a bit of help on... So he'll get the same basic ration as Ron, but he's not keen on SpeediBeet, won't even consider alfabeet, or even molassed sugarbeet (yes, he's odd), so I'm considering topping up his ration (for energy sake rather than fibre) with tiger oats. or maybe a mix (if so what?).....

any thoughts?

Mine are both on baileys endurance mix and they love it, very palatable and seems to give just the right energy levels.

JenHunt

Visit site
Ron is super-sensitive to starch, and even endurance mix sends him out of his little tree - calm and condition got renamed last year as Crackers and Cranky, and the Cool and Collected wasn't much better (plus he lost weight on it). We only used them as it was simpler than having speedibeet for him and something else for Tom. we'll go back to speedibeet for Ron this year though, and see if we can encourage Tom to have a tiny bit of speedibeet in each feed.

I've got a bag of british oats for now and we'll see how Tom goes on that...

Bay TB

Visit site
Why don't you try soaked grass pellets, nothing in them to send them loopy. My 'sensitive to anything' horse loves them soaked in with his chaff.