Having an inspection to foster dogs tomorrow afternoon - panicking!!!

Elsiecat

Visit site
Having an inspection at half 4 tomorrow to foster dogs.
We've signed up for overnight, weekend, emergency and for fostering dogs that can't cope with the kennel environment.
Starting to panic a bit now.
What types of things do I need to consider? What do they look out for? What questions will I be asked? What do I need to make sure is/isn't in place in my house etc?

Panicking :(

Star_Chaser

Visit site
Don't panic... it does depend who you are fostering for as each rescue has their own criteria but I'd recommend removing anything thats breakable or that you wouldn't want damaged.

They might check how secure your house and garden are, heights of fences, what other animals or visitors you have be they elderly or young children as some dogs won't cope with either. Do you have space for a decent size crate if they use one or a nice warm spot for a bed? How will you cope if the dog has toilet issues and needs house training or is elderly and needs a little extra tlc. Neighbours and how close they are.

Adopter

Visit site
What a great thing to offer to do, I am sure you will be fine. Any inspection I have had here has always been quiet low key, just wanted to see surrounding, discuss feeding, excercise etc.

Probably also how you can provide safe excercise area, will you use crates over night or if you have visitors, can offer quiet area for nervous dogs.

The person I board our dog with has her own special discs with phone no etc. she attaches to their collar whilst they stay, and takes ours off, which I thought was a really good idea, just in case of an escape.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Don't panic... it does depend who you are fostering for as each rescue has their own criteria but I'd recommend removing anything thats breakable or that you wouldn't want damaged.

They might check how secure your house and garden are, heights of fences, what other animals or visitors you have be they elderly or young children as some dogs won't cope with either. Do you have space for a decent size crate if they use one or a nice warm spot for a bed? How will you cope if the dog has toilet issues and needs house training or is elderly and needs a little extra tlc. Neighbours and how close they are.

Ok thank you! I have horses at home, will that make me less likely to be accepted? Eg. if they feel theres any risk of dog escaping garden and getting into paddocks with horses?
All my current pets get along like a house on fire so I don't restrict any of them from interacting!
Sorry for my questions I'm just really wanting this to work out as I met a lovely dog at the kennels the other day who they think would benefit from a little holiday!

2Greys

Visit site
It will vary of course but they just want to check its suitable for their dogs. Our homecheck for fostering they didn't snoop round the house so don't panic, though expect the judge if safe for dog in rooms they pass through & they checked the garden was secure. Asked us some questions mainly to assess what dogs would be best placed with what we could offer and that we had some understanding on what to expect. Sure it will go fine & kind of you to help out.

Elsiecat

Visit site
What a great thing to offer to do, I am sure you will be fine. Any inspection I have had here has always been quiet low key, just wanted to see surrounding, discuss feeding, excercise etc.

Probably also how you can provide safe excercise area, will you use crates over night or if you have visitors, can offer quiet area for nervous dogs.

The person I board our dog with has her own special discs with phone no etc. she attaches to their collar whilst they stay, and takes ours off, which I thought was a really good idea, just in case of an escape.

Thanks for the info!
The dogs/cats (well usually at least one cat) sleep in the kitchen because they love the underfloor heating in there (they rarely bother actually getting into bed!) but I was considering leaving the door open into the utility/boot room and leaving the heating off in there and putting a bed in the corner under the work top. It just seems like a secure place if the dog is anxious/too warm etc?

Elsiecat

Visit site
OP - how did your inspection go ? Hope all well.

It went fine! She quizzed me several times and in several different ways about whether we have the yard gates onto the road locked at all times which I assured her we did.
I asked at the end how we'd done and she winked and said to ring up the rescue in the morning and go and pick out foster dog up! :D

It seems the dog we were told we could foster may not be up for foster after all though. We had a day to the beach planned for him and everything! I'm sure they'll find us some other nice dog to take though :)

webble

Visit site
It went fine! She quizzed me several times and in several different ways about whether we have the yard gates onto the road locked at all times which I assured her we did.
I asked at the end how we'd done and she winked and said to ring up the rescue in the morning and go and pick out foster dog up! :D

It seems the dog we were told we could foster may not be up for foster after all though. We had a day to the beach planned for him and everything! I'm sure they'll find us some other nice dog to take though :)

Oh thats fantastic well done. I love doing my homechecks I get to meet some lovely people and yes they usually are as nervous as you. Keep us updated with who you get and pics

Elsiecat

Visit site
Oh thats fantastic well done. I love doing my homechecks I get to meet some lovely people and yes they usually are as nervous as you. Keep us updated with who you get and pics

Will do! My mums scared of german shepherds, jack russels and staffies which seems to be the majority of the dogs!! We're open to anything else though, including dogs that need someone to take the lead with them.
So excited for tomorrow!

webble

Visit site
Will do! My mums scared of german shepherds, jack russels and staffies which seems to be the majority of the dogs!! We're open to anything else though, including dogs that need someone to take the lead with them.
So excited for tomorrow!

Go for a Heinz57 they are the best. I agree Jack Russels can be a snappy, most staffies are lovely people dogs though

Elsiecat

Visit site
Go for a Heinz57 they are the best. I agree Jack Russels can be a snappy, most staffies are lovely people dogs though

I'm not scared of any breed. These are just breeds my mums been gone for as a child that she still is scared of (oh and corgis!!!).
I think the breed is entirely down to the individual dog, and so does my mum but she just has fear built in! Hopefully meeting new dogs from all walks of life may help her!

Adopter

Visit site
So pleased it went well, let us know what you do get. It is a great thing to do, so many animals needing homes and care.

I was sorry to read today that Blue Cross at Rolleston are having to put out a special appeal today for people to offer short term fostering to some of their young rescued ponies as they have so many needing homes, would loved to have more, but can not fit in more than two I am already caring for until they can go back to be trained!

Elsiecat

Visit site
So pleased it went well, let us know what you do get. It is a great thing to do, so many animals needing homes and care.

I was sorry to read today that Blue Cross at Rolleston are having to put out a special appeal today for people to offer short term fostering to some of their young rescued ponies as they have so many needing homes, would loved to have more, but can not fit in more than two I am already caring for until they can go back to be trained!

If I had more land it would be swimming with rescue ponies! I am a sucker for animals in need! :eek:

Luci07

Visit site
Oh please take on a staffy ! so many stuck in rescue and they do not show themselves well off in kennels as normally hate them. Tell the rescue your mum is very apprehensive so you get an easy one but they are such mahoosive cuddle monsters that they will change your mums mind. My 3 have changed a lot of peoples perceptions. Its hard to think a dog is savage when there are 3 dogs telling you, that you are the BEST thing that EVER walked through the door and they are just so glad you have come to see them!. When I have friends over, all 3 of mine literally just go from person to person with a "yippee!, plenty of humans to go around"!

In fact, on thinking about it, not one of my friends has escaped the overly enthusiastic staffie snog, even if unwanted....

Elsiecat

Visit site
Well we went today and they brought out 2 dogs for my dogs to play with in the paddock. All got along very well.
We decided to take home the one we originally were told we could foster. He's a huuuuge boxer (more bullmastiff if you ask me!). Weve had him all over and the way he's walking around the house you'd think he'd never left home! I can see him staying :eek:

webble

Visit site
Well we went today and they brought out 2 dogs for my dogs to play with in the paddock. All got along very well.
We decided to take home the one we originally were told we could foster. He's a huuuuge boxer (more bullmastiff if you ask me!). Weve had him all over and the way he's walking around the house you'd think he'd never left home! I can see him staying :eek:

No!! You cant join the failed fosterers club at the first dog - at least wait until the second :D