Having bought a new Elevator Bridle horses way of going is not good!

SALLYT

Visit site
Hi,
I bought a new Elevator Bridle a few weeks ago and I have noticed he is now holding his head very high especially out on a hack, when I'm having a lesson in the school he's fine, buckles down to it.

He came with a martingale and as I can't use this in dressage I took it off about 6-7 weeks ago and he was slightly heady but nothing I couldn't manage.

Do I pop the martingale back on whilst out hacking and hopefully be able to take it off again later in time, or does he not like the bridle, OH will kill me if I have to buy another one, £220 is an expensive mistake, cos I had to have new reins as well.

Thoughts really appreciated.

pinkcatkin

Visit site
I am afraid I have no idea what an elevator bridle is, but it sounds like it is mean to heighten the head carriage? If so, maybe it is achieving what it sets out to do.

Sorry probably barking up the wrong tree but sounds like he doesn't like it.

Judie

Visit site
Was the martingale coming off and the Elevator going on at the same time?

I would be quite surprised if he is objecting to the bridle itself, have you changed the bit at all?

Do you try working him in an outline out hacking as you do in the school? Maybe he just has a high head carriage when not ask to do anything else.

SALLYT

Visit site
TOG- No the martingale came off before the new bridle went on, And yes I can get him working in an outline whilst on a hack and I often do.
He is incredibly nosey during a hack, but will lower his head if I ask him to, well mostly.Nothing apart from the bridle has changed.

kerilli

Visit site
i'd try the old bridle again tbh. seems strange though, elevator is padded and supposed to be super-comfy. maybe he's acting as an interpressure animal does, pushing back against the pressure of the padding? very odd.

Petrie

Visit site
I use Elevator bridles and to me they are just made to be more comfortable with padded bits and the noseband strap going over the top of the headpiece. They're not a 'gadget', so not supposed to do anything radical to the horse's way of going.

Perhaps he's just got used to not having the martingale on.

Keltic

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I bought my daughter a elevator style bridle for xmas, but her horse is not keen on it so we have gone back to his old one!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had exactly the same experience i bought one and my mare hated it, so sold it and got a Sabre now goes lovely in it.

siennamum

Visit site
I love elevator bridles - cheaper imitations and would only have them if I could afford it. Only really use the headpiece & cheekpieces tho' don't like the nosebands - or any crank nosebank for that matter. Are you sure the noseband isn't upsetting your horse, or that the browband isn't too tight?
Can't really imagine how an elevator headpeiece could upset a horse unless it's badly fitted tbh.....

SALLYT

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, not the answers I was wanting but appreciate your honesty, I guess you think that being as though it was a comfort bridle your horse will love it, Mmm maybe not!. I will try my old bridle tonight and see how I get on, if he goes better I have a lovely Elevator 2weeks old bridle for sale!

SALLYT

Visit site
siennamum- I took my old bridle to get the correct size, so no I don't think its the wrong size, I have had my instructer to check the fit etc, and it is fine, he doesn't do it in the school at all, and over the weekend when he went out for a hack and mucked about with his head, on my return I popped him in the school and he worked a treat.

I will check the noseband isn't over tight, but I really don't think it is, I will try my old bridle and his new bridle and see how I get on.

Tis very strange

Rocky01

Visit site
I had a similar problem when I took my loan horses martingale off as a few weeks after it was taken off she decided that she could put he head up in the air. She didn't do it for a couple of weeks after the martingale came up but did after those couple of weeks.

I would just let him have his head for a while on hacks until he gets used to the new bridle and then ride as you would in the school as it may be that you ride differently on hacks. Hope this helps.