Having pony pts. What to expect?

Lianne862

New User
Visit site
I have got to have my old pony pts this week due to laminitis that we cannot control & other health issues. I have chosen to have her shot as she is terrified of injections & thought it would be less stressful for her. Having never been around a horse being pts i am just wondering what to expect? Is there anything I should or shouldn't do or watch? I want to be as prepared as possible so I can stay as calm as possible for my pony.

Auslander

Visit site
Poor you - such a sad time.
Bullet is fast and relatively peaceful, but there wll probably be blood, so you need to plan where it will be done with that in mind. The actual event is pretty quick, and most go with their heads in a bucket and don't know anything. There will be a pop from the gun, which can be upsetting. I choose to let the huntsman do his thing without me hovering - I say my goodbyes, hand over the rope while the horse is eating, and walk away - they usually do the deed as you walk away, and I have never felt the slightest urge to look back.

Don't hang around while they load up the body - it's not nice to watch, and you don't need that to be your last memory of your pony.

Shay

Visit site
Good description Auslander. I prefer to have them shot - I've seen some difficult ones from lethal injection. I don't have a problem being there - but sometimes they prefer you not be too close at the last moment for safety reasons. Depends on who is holding the gun. (Which doesn't look like a gun by the way.)

If you can - or have someone else do it if you can't - take a really big piece of the tail so you have loads of options if you want jewellery or something made up later. I also ask for a shoe - but that might not be suitable in your case.

And again Auslander is right - don't wait around to see the body loaded.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I used to think I just "had" to be present but I decided two horses back to get one shot as he used to fight needles and sedation.
I said goodbye and handed over to a really lovely professional calm kind man who did the job and came to find me after.
I don't feel at all bad tbh I thought I would feel like I'd failed them but it's what I. Ow choose. So quick and instant for the horse.
It's never easy but you are doing the kindest thing.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I have got to have my old pony pts this week due to laminitis that we cannot control & other health issues. I have chosen to have her shot as she is terrified of injections & thought it would be less stressful for her. Having never been around a horse being pts i am just wondering what to expect? Is there anything I should or shouldn't do or watch? I want to be as prepared as possible so I can stay as calm as possible for my pony.
So sorry for you it's such a difficult thing to have to do. For me personally though, I would never choose the bullet (having Sen it used first hand), in the 40 plus years I've owned horses I've always used the injection. A horse on our yard, not one of mine, was pts last year and also terrified of injections, so vet told the owner to administer some domosodan gel before he got there which worked really well. I have never had a problem with the injection it's very peaceful and often they have 'gone' before they hit the floor. Good luck stay strong.

throughtheforest

Visit site

Hi, just to say. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm having to put my 8 year old down due to unmanageable laminitis (ems and we think other complications too) as mine is getting sore just recently off hay alone. Its going to be my first pts too and I'm looking at getting him shot by a man from horse heaven I think it is called.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Just a reminder guys, the OP has already said she has elected her choice of departure, please try not to derail her thread with other options and what you think is best. OP has made her choice and was asking info on this method, thanks x

frostyfingers

Visit site
I had mine PTS this way last year and although it's shocking in that it's so quick I much prefer it. He had his head in the bucket and knew nothing, I handed the rope over to the man doing it and he did it as I turned away (I wanted to be there and was just turning to my husband). He told me when he was still and then gave us a few minutes, we then introduced the other two horses to the field so they could have a sniff, then my husband and I went for a walk. On return it was all done. He couldn't have been more sympathetic. One thing I would say, there was very little blood and the fact that we did it in the field meant it was all very quiet. It's hard, really hard, but once it is done there is a sense of relief.

meleeka

Visit site
If your chosen professional is any good, they'll talk you through it all beforehand. The waiting and imagining is far worse than the actual thing. I wouldn't be there. As others said it's ok to say your goodbyes and leave. Your horse won't care either way but I didn't want to have that image in my mind. The person doing the deed won't want the process to take longer than necessary so they'll be efficient and quick.
Ask a friend to let the lorry in to collect and leave them to it. That bit isn't very dignified and there's no reason for you to see it.
I've had two pts and the waiting is by far the worst bit x

applecart14

Visit site
OP firstly very very sorry for your troubles.

My experience is having one horse pts whilst I was in the vicinity. The other three when I wasn't around.

With my present horse I couldn't not be there for my horse as I feel I owe him comfort and love at his time of need, but having said that I can understand how others cannot be there when their horse is PTS.

I know that I can control my emotions. The only thing I worry about is that when I am in a stressful situation I suffer from anxiety and my legs go very wobbly and my heart hammers and I can see myself passing out. And I wouldn't want to be a hindrance.

But I also know that I would never be a wailing wreck clinging to my horses neck and sobbing into his made which sadly I once witnessed.

So I would steel myself and be with my horse at the end as I feel that is the least I can do for the great times we have shared and the memories we have made together.

I certainly could never wait a week like some people do. They spend time with their horse, bath them, plait them, take photos, etc. I couldn't do that and can only admire those that can. For me when the decision is made, that's it.

I can remember being at Liverpool with my previous wobblers horse heavily sedated and waiting for him to be PTS. I was told to hold him and 'spend sometime with him'. I must have sounded a right bitch as I told one of the students to grab the vet and 'get on with it' but once I'd made the decision I wanted it 'over with'. I'd spent two and a half years with him, I didn't want to spend any more time with a horse who was so sedated he was practically asleep on his feet. And I loved that horse like there was no tomorrow. I wasn't allowed to be there when he was injected as he was too ataxic and it was considered dangerous as there was no way of knowing which way he'd lie, but would have been there in a heart beat had he not have been classed as 'dangerous' when he fell.

I was like that with the dog too. Just wanted it done. Guess its just my way of coping with the pain of it all.

My friend has seen about ten pts with injection, having held most of them herself. She has said that in each case the horse has simply gone slowly down on its knees as if it were having a roll. It was quick, dignified and peaceful.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn't be there, it is not a nice thing to see but it is so instant for them they are down before you register the bang.
I delegated my husband to attend, but tbh if you have a good recommendation of the man I would just give him the lead rope and bucket feed and go away. You won't want the headcollar back.

SEL

Visit site
I would make sure whoever you use comes with a recommendation. We've just recently changed hunt kennels at my yard - the previous lot would never turn up on time and the waiting (even if it isn't your horse) is awful. New guy is on time, quick and extremely sensitive to all around.

Personally i would say goodbye to your horse and leave the yard. Ask a friend or YO to deal with it. Shooting is quick but you're going to be upset and there's no need to have those memories. Hugs xx

windand rain

Visit site
did friend at the end for my friends pony. As said above the waiting was the worst bit. Having always been scared and worried by the idea of shooting I have changed my mind completely the pony in question didnt even hear the bang, It was quick and easy and talking to the man afterwards he said he liked having a friend nearby so the owner doesnt have any nightmares of things not going well It was the quickest and easiest way I have seen one go. He popped a bag over her head so there was less than a tablespoon of blood on the grass so there wasnt even any mess to clear up. So now it would always be my first way of doing it and if possible with that great man. I didnt hold her he let her mooch about and as he was leading her brought his hand up and did the deed exactly on the spot he had chosen

Damnation

Visit site
So sorry you have to make this decision, it comes to us all eventually and it is never ever easy no matter how many times you have been there.

It will be quick. I have only ever been there for the injection, but if mine were to be PTS via a gun, I would walk away and leave them to it.

Hand the leadrope to the professionals and walk away. It will be quick, your pony won't know a thing, these guys know what they are doing. As others have said there will be blood and never stick around for the horse to be taken away.

I know some people prefer to stay, some people prefer to leave whilst it is being done but I feel that it is a very personal decision. I stayed for the injection, but would probably leave for the gun. Don't let anyone tell you what you should do - it is so personal and it is down to whatever you feel comfortable doing.

I hope it goes well for you *huge hugs*

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Mine have had the injection, but I held a friend 's pony for the gun.

I wouldn't do it again. It's taken a long time to get that sound out of my head. OP maybe do what others have and say your goodbyes and hand the leadrope over.

rhylis

Visit site
I've had three put to sleep this way, one many years ago and two recently. Each time its been quick and stress free. The first one I stayed with all the way through but only because she was a rescue pony who was wary of new people and I felt that me being with her would keep her calmer. Oddly with the other two I felt myself getting upset and didn't wish to stress them by staying close so I stepped away but stayed in sight of the horses. Each time I was told that it was entirely my choice as to where I stood and the whole thing was relaxed and calm. The last two were done by the hunt and they put a bag on the horses head after the event, this meant there was no trace of blood left behind.
I prepared by spending a bit of time prior to anyone arriving just grooming my horse and letting them graze in hand on the best grass I could find. It was relaxing for the horses and left me with happy last memories of them. I also had some treats or feed for the horses to have when it was about to happen.
I would second what people have said about not watching as your pony is loaded I couldn't stop myself the first time and the image stayed with me for ages.
I hope it all goes smoothly for you, its difficult but the right thing to do.

Equi

Visit site
The first time I said my byes and handed the reins to my dad who walked the pony to the hole basically and dispatched him. Very quick and painless. I was only young so couldn't have seen that. My friends horse died recently and I went to see the body and deal with it all cause she couldn't face it and honestly it didn't effect me too much cause he was now dead and that was that - but I would not have wanted to see him die if he had of had to be pts I wouldn't have wanted to be there for the pop. I'd come back after it was done tho.

Sorry about your pony :(

GirlFriday

Visit site
OP, hard as it is do remember that dying is just a small moment in life. There have been many moments when you've been with your horse and many when you haven't.

Having been through various 'major life events' with people and animals I'd say that none of the moments actually matter that much.

Personally I'd go with injection and being there throughout. But if you go with bullet and not being there at all (or any other combination) it really won't matter that much (and might be what suits you best). What matters is how your animal (or child, or parent, or...) lived its life.

You'll get plenty of people telling you that it will be quick/peaceful/other nice things whatever method you choose. It probably will be be. But it might not be (there are plenty of people who've heard two bangs...). And whilst it might be awful do remember it will only be /momentarily/ awful.

These all feel like big decisions for you. But really you are only deciding about a few seconds of your animal's life. So no choice is going to make that much differnce to how happy an /overall/ life your horse had. Oddly enough you've already done the really important bits!

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
OP, so sorry, it's the hardest desicion to make but the right one for your equine friend.

I am everyone's "will you hold" - I've been that person for about 20 years now and I have never, ever been there when it's gone wrong. They have all, without exception, dropped with the carrot still in their mouths.
The gun shot is quite loud if you're right next to it (although the person who I recommend these days has a silencer on his gun and that just pops).
My advice would be to hand over your horse to the man and walk away. An old headcollar and rope is a must as there will be blood when they've gone down. As others have said, don't hang around when they take him away, it is rather undignified.
If you find the whole thought of being there too hard then be kind to yourself and let someone else look after him instead, your horse won't know.
Make sure someone clears up any bits of blood that is on the floor, for your sake and your fellow liveries.
I have also held them for injection - some good experiences, some not so. I recently had two old ponies of my own done by injection as one was terrified of strangers but wasn't too bad with my vet. Everything went to plan, no drama, but personally the speed of shooting is preferable.
If it helps you feel better, I've shed a tear for each and every one I've held and am still bawling when I think of my two ponies!!
I'll send you a hug because I know you'll need it..

Lianne862

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies there very helpful. I just wanted to have a rough idea of what will happen before the day as I know they will probably explain it when they come but I won't be thinking straight & probably won't take it in. I'm so torn between staying with her or leaving them to it shes extremely nervous around new people so I feel I owe it to her to be with her & try keep her calm but at the same time I don't want to upset her if I'm upset. I feel like no matter what I decide IL have regrets :( i didn't really want to choose bullet over injection but the stress the vets & injections cause her & after everything she's been put through over the last 6 months I felt it was the least stressful quickest & kindest way to do it & my vet agreed. Should I have some food or carrots ready? I'm going to let her have some grass while we wait as she's been on complete box rest for last 2 months so thought she would like that. Thank you for the advice about taking her tail hadn't thought of keeping that would be lovely to have something made from it as a reminder of her xx

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies there very helpful. I just wanted to have a rough idea of what will happen before the day as I know they will probably explain it when they come but I won't be thinking straight & probably won't take it in. I'm so torn between staying with her or leaving them to it shes extremely nervous around new people so I feel I owe it to her to be with her & try keep her calm but at the same time I don't want to upset her if I'm upset. I feel like no matter what I decide IL have regrets :( i didn't really want to choose bullet over injection but the stress the vets & injections cause her & after everything she's been put through over the last 6 months I felt it was the least stressful quickest & kindest way to do it & my vet agreed. Should I have some food or carrots ready? I'm going to let her have some grass while we wait as she's been on complete box rest for last 2 months so thought she would like that. Thank you for the advice about taking her tail hadn't thought of keeping that would be lovely to have something made from it as a reminder of her xx

Just have some of her favourite treats handy or a bucket of food and the person doing it will tell you what's best to do. Don't worry, they are very professional and are used to upset horse owners!
She'll enjoy having some yummy grass while you wait - that's what I did with my lami pony, she thought all her wishes had come true! I know they pick up on our emotions but food distraction is great - I cried, my vet cried (she's a friend too), the pony couldn't have cared less as she was stuffing her face!
The other pony was also unbothered by our tears!

Lianne862

New User
Visit site
So sorry to hear about your boy throughtheforest it's heartbreaking isn't it & especially with your boy being so young. Your making the right decision though laminitis is awful when it can't be controlled & it not fair on the horse or yourself to keep going through it xx

Last edited:

Lianne862

New User
Visit site
Thank you dazed'n'confused that's good to know she's very greedy so hopefully will be easily distracted with some food. Ive been putting it off for months because I knew I'd be like this but now she has made the decision for me really as she's so distressed & in alot of pain so I know I've got to do it but I still really don't want to let her go :(

Jola

Visit site
I had one of mine pts yesterday this way (first pts for me). Very very professional people, very quick. They used a low velocity bullet so no blood at all. I handed over the lead rope and some treats, walked away and 60 seconds later it was done. The guys were very sensitive and checked the pony wasn't head shy etc.
They didn't rush me at all. I think you do have to hold it together for the sake of the pony but I know that's not always easy!
Having been through the process I couldn't recommend this way highly enough and wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.
Best wishes xx

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have read all of the replies and cant really add much. i had my mare put down in september by the hunt and i grazed her in hand where it was going to be done and also had a bowl of chopped carrots for her to munch for the last couple of minutes. the huntsman arrived and got ready i handed the bowl of carrots and the lead rope to my lovely YO and walked away. it happened almost immediately and i didnt go back to look at her body as i wanted to remember her standing eating her carrots..its a horrible thing to have to go through but you are doing the best for your pony.....is there someone at your yard who could be there for the last moment so you dont have to see her fall, maybe do the same as me and give her a bowl of tasty goodies that she is not usually allowed to have....good luck on the day..

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
So sorry you're having to face this.

I've only had experience of one horse PTS, he was my friends who moved with me and mine when we moved house. (He had been with my 3 for years, was elderly and we didn't think it fair to leave him behind). He was PTS by injection, was colicking and surgery was his only option.

Because it all happened late at night, he was left in his stable until the following morning. I went up very early to say one last goodbye, and to take some of his tail. His owner had said she didn't want any, but I took a bit extra just in case. She later did ask me if I'd taken some as she wanted a bracelet made.

I wasn't there when he was taken away, everyone I know that has been in this situation has said to not be there for that if at all possible.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I had a pony PTS, the first one for me. The man is used by the hunt. He said to turn the pony out in the field as normal in the morning (on bute) and to keep everything and quiet and stress free as possible. When he arrived I went to catch the pony. It was outside the field but in sight of his two companions. The man told me to hand over the headcollar rope and walk away. (I was upset and nearly crying and he didn't want a sobbing owner in the way.) The pony had his head in a bucket of feed and a not very loud shot and it was done. My horse looked up and neighed as the pony fell, but didn't do anything else. The pony was taken away in the trailer and there was very little blood.

It was very professionally and sympathetically done. Whether I would do the same for my horse - I'm not 100% sure.