Having the Wool Pulled? - Muck Heap Disposal

FfionWinnie

Visit site
These are just the answers I wanted, brilliant. But yes, were are these muck heaps finally being disposed of? An answer (on here I think), mentioned ploughing it through the fields? Wood pellet bedding is brilliant & I'd never, through choice, use anything else.

All muck is ploughed in. It doesn't make it any more attractive, sorry!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I pay for mine to go twice a year. Last lot taken last week.
Farmer not impressed at my yard mate using the cheap wood pellets, so have asked to to change bedding over. He'a always been fine for shavings etc tho but it is very well mixed with field collections too, but has said any more pellet residue & I will have to go elsewhere, so bed changing it was this weekend.

BBP

Visit site
With regard to burning: manure heaps from commercial or agricultural premises are classified as controlled waste. There are no EA exemptions for burning this (so if you just go out and light it you are committing an offence under the environmental permitting regulations). If these commercial premises (ie kept at livery) want to burn their muck heap they would need to apply and pay for a bespoke environmental permit from the EA.

If the horses are kept by private individuals as pets within the boundaries of your domestic property the manure will be classified as household waste. The burning of this is regulated by the local authority.

If muck is moved to be spread to land for agricultural benefit it is not classified as waste and therefore waste carriers licences are not required. However if it is being moved for other purposes, ie you think you want to take it and burn it at another property, the transporter would need a waste carriers licence and transfer notes would be required.

Burying manure (not for agricultural benefit) is a waste disposal activity and would require the appropriate permits.

Doesn't help you much with the pellets question but hopefully makes the use of manure issue clearer.

aintgotnohay

Visit site
couldnt get enough of the stuff years ago-i mean horse manure.the rag and bones men horse went in the road about a million people would come outside with shovels and buckets!! local riding schools and stables used to bag it up and leave it outside in old blue fertiliser bags.now everything has got to be polictally correct lol.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
They are not I know of two local yards who have EA permits to burn muck heaps and muck can go into landfill if you are happy to pay the charge.
Just to clarify farmers can only leave it heaped for 12 months maximum and are controlled on where the heaps can go.
We have so many council run recycling places around here with composted wood waste that they are having to dispose in landfill because the farmers wont take it . They have just started paying farmers to take it plus the councils are paying for spreading its not so much the nitrogen that needs replacing but the fact it is so variable in its needs that nobody can accurately apply nitrogen to a crop.

Excuse the pun but absolute rubbish, technically you could get a permit for burning but that would cost thousands of pounds and I can't imagine any yard or farm having one. There is no waste exemption for burning or burying manure heaps under the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2010 Schedule 3. Burying is illegal unless it is in a permitted landfill and no stables is ever going to have one of those. Government is trying to cut the amount of biodegradable waste to landfill so the preferred option would be composting followed by land-spreading.

It doesn't matter if the council deals with manure burning incidents rather than the EA it is totally irrelevant to the fact that there are no exemptions.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
couldnt get enough of the stuff years ago-i mean horse manure.the rag and bones men horse went in the road about a million people would come outside with shovels and buckets!! local riding schools and stables used to bag it up and leave it outside in old blue fertiliser bags.now everything has got to be polictally correct lol.

yes, but we didnt use shavings or wood pellets then. And gardeners know that horse manure needs composting well or you end up with a weed meadow in your borders.

My old landlord was a landscape gardener. We used shavings and there were four muckheaps on the go-all of which got turned. The oldest she used as fertiliser-it was at least three years old and it was very good stuff.

popsdosh

Visit site
Excuse the pun but absolute rubbish, technically you could get a permit for burning but that would cost thousands of pounds and I can't imagine any yard or farm having one. There is no waste exemption for burning or burying manure heaps under the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2010 Schedule 3. Burying is illegal unless it is in a permitted landfill and no stables is ever going to have one of those. Government is trying to cut the amount of biodegradable waste to landfill so the preferred option would be composting followed by land-spreading.

It doesn't matter if the council deals with manure burning incidents rather than the EA it is totally irrelevant to the fact that there are no exemptions.

We will just have to disagree then ! I have two friends with livery yards that have them! They were obtained when the new rules came in as several permits were granted as a transition measure,we have about 20 on the farm for different operations that come under the regulations. Now they would have to pay for them however not thousands

DollyPentreath

Visit site
With regard to burning: manure heaps from commercial or agricultural premises are classified as controlled waste. There are no EA exemptions for burning this (so if you just go out and light it you are committing an offence under the environmental permitting regulations). If these commercial premises (ie kept at livery) want to burn their muck heap they would need to apply and pay for a bespoke environmental permit from the EA.

If the horses are kept by private individuals as pets within the boundaries of your domestic property the manure will be classified as household waste. The burning of this is regulated by the local authority.

If muck is moved to be spread to land for agricultural benefit it is not classified as waste and therefore waste carriers licences are not required. However if it is being moved for other purposes, ie you think you want to take it and burn it at another property, the transporter would need a waste carriers licence and transfer notes would be required.

Burying manure (not for agricultural benefit) is a waste disposal activity and would require the appropriate permits.

Doesn't help you much with the pellets question but hopefully makes the use of manure issue clearer.

KatPT is absolutely right (I work for the EA although not in the waste department so I'm no expert). I do also agree with Sussexbythesea that it would be near on impossible to gain a new permit for burning or burying (unless landfill) these days, although I'm sure it's not completely impossible that there are a few very old permits floating about. That being said, if I saw someone burning waste and stating 'I have a permit' I would certainly raise my eyebrows. But it's very easy to check if they have a permit on the EA system.

Really, this is what we should be doing with our muck heaps (logistics aside) - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/170811/ManureAdviceNote007.pdf

teacups

Visit site
We have so many council run recycling places around here with composted wood waste that they are having to dispose in landfill because the farmers wont take it . They have just started paying farmers to take it plus the councils are paying for spreading its not so much the nitrogen that needs replacing but the fact it is so variable in its needs that nobody can accurately apply nitrogen to a crop.

My local council publishes a list of days when they will let anyone come and collect the composted waste from the garden waste recycling collections. They call it 'soil conditioner' rather than compost.
There is one collection day a month, roughly between March - August, and it's an extremely popular scheme. They pile it up in big heaps, and the place is full of people with bags and shovels, taking it away for their gardens. I think it's a great idea.