Having your horse pts

Would you....

• Total voters
D

Donkeymad

QR

Everybody is different and accepts death differently. There is no right or wrong way to destroy a horse, and, regardless of any plans, often the situation dictates what happens. I had my first pony destroyed aged just 11, my dad died at Christmas. I can joke about both, what I cannot tolerate is speaking ill of them. There is a difference, and I feel that joking is a way of celebrating their lives, rather than mourning their loss.

[ QUOTE ]
I know of some Army boys who came unstuck when they spoke ill of some RAF colleagus who passed. They talk about them and remember them fondly, but are deeply affected if a colleague passes. So yes, I do get it

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, speaking ill of can hurt, joking about shouldn't.
Everybody has to deal with death during their life. no point in breaking down, life DOES go on.

Oh, and none of those videos or photos bother me in the least, I must be a hard cow
tongue.gif

Tankey

Visit site
Brilliant, thanks Weezy....I notice that is not quite 'between the eyes', which has made me feel better for Thomas' sake.
For him I expect it will be the movement of the gun up to his head that will be the problem....I may have to re think my plans
grin.gif

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Watched all the videos and didn't see anything I haven't seen before, maybe it's because I've seen dead hens run/move without a head but I don't judge if a method is humane or not due to the presence of unvoluntarily muscles-spasm (I presume that's what I see in clip 9?), I don't believe a hen running without a head is alive, it's dead and not aware about the world anymore.

To me it seems the biggest problem with the slaughter videos is that nobody holds the horses heads.

And then it seems the slaughterhouse also would do a whole lot better if it invested in a piano to be played while the deed is done, because that's what you get with Humane Euthanasia.

I'm sorry but that is a text book case of a site that wants to tell it's viewers what to think and feel about what they see. First it begins with clearly telling me that this is about Horse Slaughter vs. Humane Euthanasia and that music is just the last straw/drop. Makes me think that I wouldn't be surprised if the site was sponsored by the company selling the substances used to euthanize horses.

I know there's worse slaughterhouses out there, but I also know there's better slaughterhouses and frankly I blame the owner/owners for not being there/sending somebody in their place to be there and hold the horses.

Weezy

Visit site
Personally I didn't like the penning of horses and them being shocked from above - that, IMO, CAN cause alarm in a horse - Potters do it in a much fairer way, and in a way that sits far better with me.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
That was what I meant with saying that the biggest problem being nobody was holding the horses heads Weezy, I did try and write something about it coming from somebody leaning In and Over them in a strange sort of way but everything I wrote sounded as if I was complaining about poor working conditions.

What I saw in your link is what I mean when I talk about better slaughterhouses.

I don't think an slaughterhouse is any more responsible for what other people dump outside their door than what an cat-rescue is responsible for people putting kittens in a box outside their place.

I also would have thought the video would have been better without most of the comments. I can think myself, at least I think I can.

ace123

Visit site
I had to have Ted PTS.
vets tried for month to get him better.
He was in pain, lost condition and wasn't happy so it was easy to decide that it was the kindest thing for him but the hardest thing for me.
18 months on and i miss him like crazy.

JM07

Visit site
courageous in ignorance??

feufoleut/chocolatelog or majicmomemts or whatever you are this week........... you really talk a load of bollox.

End Of.

Natch

Visit site
To answer what I think the original post was asking:

Yes, I had a horse PTS in a different way to thta I had previously planned for. I don't regret it in the slightest.

IMO a shot is less distressing for a horse than the injection, an opinion based purely on heresay and stories on here i must admit, but I ave always preferred the bullet to an injection.

However when my horses's time came he had been in hospital and been under 3 general anaesthetics in a month. The vets who I have 100% confidence in made the decision to PTS by injection and I didn't argue - he had got used to the anaesthetic, and when the time came he lay down with no fuss just like he had done with the previous anaesthetics. I have no idea if they anaesthetised him first or just went straight on with the lethal injection, nor does it matter to me. What matters to me is that I know he went with no fuss and in a calm manner., which is all I could have asked for him.

majicmoment

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
courageous in ignorance??

feufoleut/chocolatelog or majicmomemts or whatever you are this week........... you really talk a load of bollox.

End Of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I am paid quite alot to do so too.

It is easy to give a big front and say you are fine about something if you know nothing about it and have not been there. That is a fact of life and happens daily world round.

eekmon

Visit site
I have held two whilst being pts with lethal injection ( one was my own )
I could never decide whether or not to have him shot or pts . had heard horror stories from pts cases.
I held a pony i do whilst she was pts. IMO it was quick & dignified ( she still had a big gobful of grass , so it was quick )
Two weeks later I suddenly had to have mine PTS , he went even quicker than the mare.
The nice thing was that i was with him when he went & i sat with him for about half hour after ( not everyones cup of tea I know )
Personally I would not of had it any other way. It was as i expected it to be.