having your own lorry built?

LeannePip

Visit site
We are starting to look for a little 3.5t horse box! Exciting times!

have looked through all the usual websites and have seen a few we quite like, but was just wondering what sort of prices we would have to consider if we were to have one built?

not looking for something luxurious but just with the basics that isnt really old!

must haves:
3.5t
payload to take two (medium) horses
room for tack
on board water tank/shower head

be positive

Visit site
You will be hard pushed to find one that has the payload to take 2 horses, having one built would be the obvious way to try but it is a real risk that once finished and put on a weighbridge it will be over what you wanted unless corners are cut and it is very flimsy, there was a thread on here a few days ago with details of what everything weighs and you could only get one horse on most boxes with all the kit, water etc despite what the manufacturers may claim.

AshTay

Visit site
It is possible to get genuine payloads of about 1200kgs so if your horses were both ~500kg you'd be fine. But if you wanted to take 2 horses plus other people plus tack and water then you'll be tight. One option would be to load everything and everyone else into a car and follow behind. Having an onboard water tank will impact on your final payload (for example, a 25L container would weigh ~25kg and you'd probably want to carry more than that with you).

Sneedy

Visit site
I'm having one built at the mo (its being delivered next week!!!), my budget got blown as a good chassis came in that was too good to miss (I hope!). Originally the company suggested about £6 to 8k for a good chassis, and a min of £5k as there is no point having a nice shiny horse box on a piece of ***** chassis. So I would suggest you sink a reasonable amt into the chassis.

Again, I think you'll struggle to get a payload for 2 horses and their associated paraphernalia, especially if its a sturdy, well built box. I'm hoping mine will have between 1100 and 1200kg payload, which is fine for me as I only ever take one horse.

Good luck......its a mine field out there and beware of the rubbish!! :)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Mine has a payload of just under 1300kg but thats because it has an aluminium body, not glassonite.
Built it myself so not able to help on costs.

Horsemad12

Visit site
Can you upgrade to a 3.9t to get the payload you need?

I agree with the others, it will be too tight otherwise. I have seen enough people take two but they will be over loaded.

Nicnac

Visit site
Can you upgrade to a 3.9t to get the payload you need?

I agree with the others, it will be too tight otherwise. I have seen enough people take two but they will be over loaded.

^^^ this. You will be putting yourself and your horses at risk. Not worth it imo.

LeannePip

Visit site
the last thing I would want to do was risk the horses, we were ideally looking to get a 3.5t because my dad no longer wants to tow us around anywhere and my mum isn't that confident with the trailer and i really dislike towing, it makes me very nervous even just being the passenger, with the bonus being that i could i also drive it, (20yo 31/2 years driving experience). Although neither of our horses are massive (15hh approx 520kg 15.2 500kg) if we are going to be on the boundaries it may not be worth it, may have to look at taking my test at some point so we can get something a bit bigger!

PM - Fancy building another one? :p

Sneedy

Visit site
If you're dad is happy to stay as taxi driver then why not look at a 4.5t or better still a 6.5t where you should get about 2t payload. You can then do your test when you want and then take over the driving?

LeannePip

Visit site
Dad doesn't want to be taxi driver any more thats the problem :( mums happy driving a lorry, we hoped we could get a 3.5t so that we could share the driving but doesn't look like that'll be possible! will have to look into taking a test then and see whats available for slightly bigger!