Hay bars

lochpearl

Visit site
My mare broke hers bottom rubbing, but took 3yrs to do so.

Lol, took mine 2 years to break but he rubbed his bum on his and then sat on it, that one came down and was never replaced - he also ate his mirror that week and ripped his corner manger down whilst rubbing and sitting on it ;)

The other one I believe rubbed on his as it was swinging from the wall, his corner manger was still up tho!! Hubby re-hung the haybar and he loves it again as he can get through more haylage! He also burrows into it!

Ladydragon

Visit site
They take a whole small bale of hay-so quite a bit!

And yes my old man used to make tunnels too!!! Lyla eats from the top down. Both were polite with it, never pulled hay out or trashed it.

And I got mine 2nd so bargain bargain bargain!!!:D

Thank you... For want of sounding like a complete numpty though I've no idea of the size of a hay bale comparison wise... We only have the large haylage bales on the yard...

If it's a similar amount to a mahoosive net and a regular large one and he can't pee or poo in it then it might be a good option...

:)

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Thank you... For want of sounding like a complete numpty though I've no idea of the size of a hay bale comparison wise... We only have the large haylage bales on the yard...

If it's a similar amount to a mahoosive net and a regular large one and he can't pee or poo in it then it might be a good option...

:)

Now I'm a numpty!!! Not sure of the size weight of your haylage bales :eek:

But you'd easy fill 3 big/regular haynets stuffed to the brim from one small hay bale :confused:

They wouldn't be able to pee in it I don't think :eek: but if they angled bottom correctly maybe could maybe squeeze a poo in there!! Depend's how big your horse is?!! ;)

catdragon

Visit site
I do the same as Angelish. My mare just scoops out all her hay from the haybar into her bed - which makes mucking her out and wastage too great. So I too have a tie ring just below the top of the hay bar so I can put the net in it - no waste - I love it, so does my mare :D

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
My horse broke his within a year. He used to lean on it and also lean into it to get any scraps of hay out the bottom. He chewed one night, after running out and from then on, it got weaker and weaker. I also couldn't limit his intake with it either and it was costing us a fortune in hay! It came down and I started putting it on the floor. It wasn't being wasted, but he was getting fat. Or I'd put less down and he'd be stood without for too long.

I'm back to haynets now. He's had his shoes off and I have a really tiny holed net which hangs just off the floor. The holes are too small to get a hoof through and without shoes there's nothing to get the net caught on. It's the most successful and cheapest way so far. :eek: