Hay crop looks good, then ...

The Trooper

Visit site
They bailed up the big field at our yard overnight on Sunday, I was surprised by the volume of bales they got out of the land, hopefully it will be good quality stuff (I spoke to the farm hand and he seems to think it's lovely).

Also checked in with my haylage supplier, he says there will be plenty of haylage this winter. Fabulous.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Rang my supplier and price has not gone down. Last years still £5 a small bale delivered. Am i being ripped off?
Thought, maybe it would have gone down a bit if they need storage space.
no such luck!

SEL

Visit site
I've just cleared out a neighbours stash of 2018 small bales for £1 each so they've got room for the new hay. She said it was a bit old, but for my fatties it's perfect.

Just waiting for the field next to where my 2 are grazing to be done. Hope they hurry up because the horses are leaning over the fence to eat the long grass - & I think the fence is beginning to feel the strain.

Looks like it's been a great harvest round here.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I've just cleared out a neighbours stash of 2018 small bales for £1 each so they've got room for the new hay. She said it was a bit old, but for my fatties it's perfect.

Just waiting for the field next to where my 2 are grazing to be done. Hope they hurry up because the horses are leaning over the fence to eat the long grass - & I think the fence is beginning to feel the strain.

Looks like it's been a great harvest round here.
Looks like im being ripped off at £5 a bale for last years then!?
Maybe time to find a new supplier!

BBP

Visit site
I was a bit sad seeing ours cut this weekend, we have just moved to a new place which has the most fabulous mixed grass unimproved pasture, I’ve never seen such a beautiful meadow, and just teeming with butterflies, moths and other insects. We have left a chunk of one field as it had ragwort in it so hopefully all the butterflies will relocate! As it was being cut we had red kites and buzzards both diving into the grasses rummaging around, just glorious.

We have quite a poor window, it was raining as it was cut and we have more forecast for tomorrow, keeping fingers crossed we can get it dried, baled and off the field in time! It would be such a shame to lose such beautiful grass for nothing.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Im just thinking the winter price is a bit high at the moment considering all the hay thats around. Id have thought last years would be reduced a bit

Nasicus

Visit site
Welp, we managed to bring in about 400 small bales over the course of two evenings. A lot of work, but with a team effort from family and friends, we managed it! Uncle had brought his truck which carried about 48 bales, which made it a lot easier, but still bloody hard work, especially bringing them up the hill to load onto the truck! Fuelled of course by Chippy and Fizzy Drinks, and there will be some nice booze heading towards all who helped!

Have sold 50 straight off the field, friend having 20 at the weekend, 50 going this afternoon, and plenty of interest in the rest we want to sell. Been offering £2.50 each or £2 each if buying more than 50, we just need the excess gone and to recoup at least some of the cost. If we sell the 200 we plan to at £2 each, that's £400 towards the cost, making it only £185 out of pocket (or £97.5 each) for the 290 (or 145 each) we'll have left, allowing for spoilage we reckon we'll have around 120 each over the winter making it approx £1.20 a bale! Chuffed with that!

Although next time, I'm hiring someone with a sledge and trailer to bring it in for me :p

Annagain

Visit site
I'd be very happy with £1.20 a bale, even with all that work. You'll look back on all that fondly come January when it's raining for the 43rd consecutive day!

Nasicus

Visit site
I'd be very happy with £1.20 a bale, even with all that work. You'll look back on all that fondly come January when it's raining for the 43rd consecutive day!
Oh most definitely! Chuffed with that, especially as it was £90 for 22 bales deliver for us last winter, I'm quids in nearly 6 times over! :)