Hay in fields? - New horse owner

MrsHhorses

Visit site
Hi all,
New here. Was hoping for some advice from others more experienced.

My field of 2 acres is turning to scorched grass and patches of dust-probably like most others at the moment!
Someone mentioned to me about colic from eating grass roots too close to the dusty soil?

I’ve sectioned field off in the hope of having summer/winter turn out.
The 1/2 my horse is in now looks dusty & sparse and the other half isn’t looking much better.
She came to me 3 weeks ago and wasn’t on any feed.
I’ve introduced 1 feed a day to help with hoof health.
She usually lives out 24/7 but I do have a stable.
She’s at a good weight and doesn’t need to gain or loose.

Should I be putting loose hay out in the field to compensate the lack of grazing?
Or any other suggestions-stable part of the day, up the feeds per day etc?
Or just stop worrying!?

Thank you for your help x

dixie

Visit site
Congratulations on your new horse.

We are certainly putting hay out for them at the moment - much more than normal and they are eating it all up. Grass is all scorched and non existent ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Someone mentioned to me about colic from eating grass roots too close to the dusty soil?

If the soil is sandy this is a serious risk. A horse in the same barn as me has just recovered from sand colic, though he got it from another stables on the sandy Cheshire plain.

Birker2020

Visit site
Hi all,
New here. Was hoping for some advice from others more experienced.

My field of 2 acres is turning to scorched grass and patches of dust-probably like most others at the moment!

I’ve sectioned field off in the hope of having summer/winter turn out.
The 1/2 my horse is in now looks dusty & sparse and the other half isn’t looking much better.
She came to me 3 weeks ago and wasn’t on any feed.
I’ve introduced 1 feed a day to help with hoof health.
She usually lives out 24/7 but I do have a stable.
She’s at a good weight and doesn’t need to gain or loose.

Should I be putting loose hay out in the field to compensate the lack of grazing?
Or any other suggestions-stable part of the day, up the feeds per day etc?
Or just stop worrying!?

Thank you for your help x
Yes I'm putting a good pile of hay out every night for my horse. I would say its around 6KG but I don't have any scales.

He's not exactly thin but you can just about see his ribs. He does look cresty in the photo but he's actually not at all, photos can be very deceptive. And he's started back to work so needs the extra energy, I'm conscious he doesn't lost any weight at this crucial period.

Its first cut hay I'm feeding so its full of fibre but its not particularly fattening. His feeding is three handfuls of Healthy Hoof and half a mug of nuts x 2 a day.

Second photo a week ago, so not as fat as you think!
1659596611761.png1659597419696.png1659596808992.png

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have no grass to speak of mine are having a big net when in and get another net in the evening in the field, I would definitely hay at the moment there really is not much in the way of grass and I want something going through there guts.

MrsHhorses

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice.

Would you put hay out in one pile or several around the field?
Or hay nets?

it’s definitely not Sandy but dry dusty soil.
I couldn’t see hay out in the fields for the other horses and felt a bit silly to not know if I should but I thought there’s not enough for them to be eating each day.

she has horses next to her on each side and opposite.
She was in a field by herself with the previous owner.

Thank you again x

Birker2020

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice.

Would you put hay out in one pile or several around the field?
Or hay nets?

it’s definitely not Sandy but dry dusty soil.
I couldn’t see hay out in the fields for the other horses and felt a bit silly to not know if I should but I thought there’s not enough for them to be eating each day.

she has horses next to her on each side and opposite.
She was in a field by herself with the previous owner.

Thank you again x
Well I put my hay usually in a pile but every now and again just because I can I put several piles out (most of our yard have individual paddocks with horses on each side and mine is on his own too) to give him something to do as there is no grass whatsoever now. I have a hay ball which i was thinking of using but I am not 100% certain that my horse wouldn't just sit on it or get his foot in it, he's a bit goofy like that. Trouble is it can roll away through the fencing into the paddock next door.

I might try the hay ball tonight but leave another pile for him just in case it rolls away.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have recently doubled the amount of hay that we put out for our horses, because of the dry weather. I would out hay in several piles to encourage her to move around the field. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind giving her hard feed, if she is a good weight. Ours get a few haycobs to carry ForagePlus balancer.