Hay mites?

nicknick

Visit site
Hi there,

just come back from my "shed" where I keep my hay, which was delivered 2 days ago I had set a rug on top of the hay last night and this AM when I got there there was thousands of little cream coloured mite type things on the rug, couldn't see them on the hay except very carefull steady hand whilst looking at the hay but they are in the hay. I havent come across this before have used this supply in the past with no problems and am a bit confused as to what it may be can anyone help?

nicknick

Visit site
Thank you to above poster (cant remember the name) ok having had a trawl on internet, I have realised that I have only seen the adult form of lice before, so still unsure of what it was but rugs have been dumped, horses treated (can not find anything on them but I did them anyway) all brushes home for scrubbing, hay being thrown out as we speak, what else do I have to remember to disenfect?
I am so kicking myself as I bought this rug 2 weeks ago second hand for the depths of winter *bangs head on desk* but he has not worn it thank god!

Last edited:

Archiepoo

Visit site
Oh dear!:eek: well done in being cautious but dont forget to powder or shampoo in two weeks to catch any that hatch in the meantime.is the horse in on bedding? might be worth chucking that too and scrubbing the stable out,they are buggers to get shot of. good luck!!:D:D

nicknick

Visit site
What a blinkin week this has been,

only my second week of being totally on my own yard and I have had the pony as a nervous wreck as he has changed fields, their two fieldmates have moved far away and the fireworks been going off cue vet trip for anti stress meds. My other boy had choke on tue night cue vet out now I am dealing with this still cannot find a pic like what I saw so thinking that I am doing the right thing by being cautionary and just HAVING to go and buy all new rugs, wont be tellin the OH about that tho!

Archiepoo

Visit site
ooh poor you (((((hugs))))) just send the rugs to the laundry dont throw them! check when you drop them off but that should be fine.x:D:D:D

nicknick

Visit site
ooh poor you (((((hugs))))) just send the rugs to the laundry dont throw them! check when you drop them off but that should be fine.x:D:D:D

oooh can you wash them, meaning any little blighters away, I assumed that they would be very difficult to get rid of! maybe wont need the bigger bank loan this time!! :p

Last edited:

Archiepoo

Visit site
no lol dont panic!!! its not as bad as you think ,its such a big deal to have your own place -i loved it- and you find every week wont be like this one!!!!:D:D:D:D

nicknick

Visit site
Thanks for the comforting words there, hopefully we will all settle soon, really on panic mode tonight being 5th nov, so thats not helping either. prob make proper use of this forum now i dont have anyone on site to ask the silly questions, quite scary at first being all on my own!

Archiepoo

Visit site
yes lol theres always someone on here with a hug and kind word when your running around like a headless chicken,and no matter how daft it seems someones always survived what your going through..:D:D:D