Hay nets - always twisted clockwise?

Petalpoos

Visit site
Yes, Sunday afternoon and bored...so in the interests of research: each of my horses has a haybar and I tie their haynet inside. Yes I know the adverts say 'just put the hay in the haybar' but without haynets they just pull all the hay out and trample it. Every morning I have to 'unwind' the nets. They have always been wound up in a clockwise fashion, anywhere from 20 rotations upwards. Never ever anti-clockwise.

Does anyone else use the haynet and haybar combo and, if so, are your haynets clockwise or anti-clockwise?

PandorasJar

Visit site
My share used to do this. Normally fed on floor but once in a blue moon would have a net and always spun clockwise. However where it was was far right corner, never tried switching to see if that made an odds as never thought of it! Only know she wound this way as used to unwind and would watch her yanking mouthfuls towards centre of the stable.

ThreeTB's

Visit site
I thought about this the other day as I did haynets for 2 of mine who are stabled next to each other - one was clockwise, the other anticlockwise. I don't usually notice which way they are, but they're always twisted!

Holzdweaver

Visit site
When i hang haynets, my boy always winds his up into a tube at the top and always the same way, which is clockwise too! The pony doesnt twist them, hers are easy to undo as no unwinding needed :D

Petalpoos

Visit site
When i hang haynets, my boy always winds his up into a tube at the top and always the same way, which is clockwise too! The pony doesnt twist them, hers are easy to undo as no unwinding needed :D

Oh yes - I recognise that 'tube' bit! Some days one of my mares twists hers up so tightly it takes me 5 minutes or so to undo it and I end up shedding layers of clothes as I get hotter and hotter trying to hang over the haybar and fiddle with knots that I can't see as they are buried in the 'tube'.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Thankfully i dont have to mess about doing that anymore, the amount of times iv got in a paddy and cut the string as it was just taking too long... :D:rolleyes:

I built him a hayrack with a mesh top which acts like a haynet so he cant drag the hay out and trample it, but goes down as he eats the hay. I was rather impressed that it worked so well as im usually hopeless as designing things lol :D