hay nets

tking

Visit site
I do not understand why hay nets are tied to a solid ring, i am panicking about my lot messing around and rearing up and getting caught up in the net with a leg, what the heck would happen then , something would have to give. would it not make more sense to tie the net to a piece of rope that would break in this situation, i feel a hay net on the ground wrapped in a leg is safer than a leg stuck in it up high. I know this would probably never happen but it does concern me.
crazy.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
I agree about the concern, my lad wouldn't panic as much if he had a haynet caught on his foot on thr ground in comparison to if his foot was caught in the haynet whilst it was tied up.
My haynets have always been tied up to the string which was attatched to the solid ring...for just in case.

Irishcobs

Visit site
At pony club we were taught to tie to a piece of baler twine that way it would break. No one does though, don't think the BHS say you should.

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
bhs way is to the ring, as in my exam someone tied one to the string and got really criterised for it, think to string would be safer personally but dont really like nets anyway, that said i am using one for mine at moment till ive built my haybar as hes so messy, when he had his back done last year, he had one of the small holed nets hung up, back ladys almost killed me
grin.gif
she said she had seen so many horses with sore polls from being fed from small holed nets, the constant tugging action really strains to poll aparently, anyway havent used one since, and he had his back done a few weeks back and all soreness in the poll area has gone!
smile.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I tie mine to bailer twine at the bars on the front of my stables and they're tied up high..................Not sure the bailertwine would actually break should one of the horses get their foot in though
crazy.gif

Nailed

Visit site
personally.. i would not tie to ring for fear of it coming undone and wrapping round the legs, panicking the horse and causes damage to the lower legs, hooves and possibly causes tendon damage.
Baler twine will wear out through the horse pulling on the net and friction between the strings, not a horse geting its foot caught.
Tieing it out of the way and to metal is safest i think.

Even better.. I feed from the floor.. Natural, no fear of damage to the horse and much easier.
Lou x

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Hmm see now ideally as loobielou said you would feed on the floor, but rocks eats it too quick on the floor or in a hay bar and hes on haylage for his breathing so cant have as much as he would hay
ETS then when he runs out of haylage he eats his straw bed which aggrivates his breathing - but he can only be on straw becuase if on shavings he box walks when hes finished eating. So only answer for me is small holed haynets.

Also atm his is tied to the metal ring as had q frankly completely forgotten that was a job to do so will be doing that tommorow!

tking

Visit site
I use a haynet as my filly balls up the hay between her legs then reverses around stable then wont eat it as it can get a bit yucky ,she then makes a nest of it and sleeps on it. what a waste. thanks for the advice i am glad i am not the only one that is a bit puzzled about haynets

jayvee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he had one of the small holed nets hung up, back ladys almost killed me
grin.gif
she said she had seen so many horses with sore polls from being fed from small holed nets, the constant tugging action really strains to poll aparently, anyway havent used one since, and he had his back done a few weeks back and all soreness in the poll area has gone!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I use a small holed net and I never thought or heard of that!! Not seen a difference in my mare from using it ..Hmm

In my dream layout of a stable would be to have floor manger with borded off sides, about the size of a bath to feed hay from. Is that a good idea? No nets, fed from floor and little mess to waste??