Hay pillow

Rachelashleigh

www.fullcyclesalvage.co.uk
Has anyone heard of a hay pillow in this country? I am sick of wasted blown away hay in the field. I cant use a hay rack as I can guarantee within an hour I would need the fire brigade out. I have been looking at alternatives and have come across a hay pillow but its in the USA. So my idea is to get a small holes haynet cut off the extra string and use that, the holes will be to small for feet and no strings for feet and if it blows it all blows so may help boredom. What do you think? ��

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yes think quite a few people use them with track systems/make their own, only with unshod horses.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry OP I'm not really with you.

Are you saying that you will get a small-holed haynet, and chuck hay in that, and then put that in the field for yours to "play" with??

Personally, I wouldn't. Even with barefoot horses I'd be charey, but, knowing horses, and the way in which they are superb at getting their feet caught up in everything and anything: all you need is for them to play with the haylage net with their feet, and for the heel end of the shoe to slip over the string of the haynet, and you'll have a mega big problem.

Don't think this is a viable idea TBH.

npage123

Visit site
There's this one

http://www.shiresequestrian.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=1226&cat=738&page=1

Do you mean using small hole haynets and having it loose in the field? I personally wouldn't want to do that as there's just too many things that can go wrong. Horseshoes or the nails can get caught in the rope, and although they usually last a while, if some of the string gets broken and a larger hole is created, it could be big enough for a horse's foot to become tangled in it, if they eg walk over the net/scrape it and get their foot stuck into it. Also even if you were to cut off the extra string, you're going to have to pull the string and put some sort of knot in it to close up the opening end of the haynet, so that will still leave you with excess string or a loop, which can lead to accidents. I wouldn't want to leave anything in a field with horses which needs constant checking that it's still safe.

I think the best option would be these, but they are expensive:

http://www.hay-hutch.co.uk/

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
http://www.thinaircanvas.com/nibblenet/pages/nibble-n-goframe.htm

haynet made one
GW334H243

http://paddockparadise.wikifoundry.com/page/Small-Mesh+Hay+Nets

I think people most pin them down.

Scarlett

Visit site
Yip, great things. My old yard uses them to put hay out to the herd - all barefoot. Less mess, slows feeding, easy to use.

YO made her own from Greedy Feeder net and replaced the cord with an Equi-Tie which worked brilliantly and cost a total of about £15 each hay pillow.

Spreebok

Visit site
Martsnets on facebook sells teeny weeny holed trickle feeder nets, made from fishing netting, durable and a variety of sizes.

I use two of them just for normal stable use and think they're brill!

JillA

Visit site
We call them hayballs and have used them for a few years now - normal haynets with the neck tied up and any surplus stringing looped back on itself over and over until there is nothing to catch a foot in - no shoes on any of my lot. I do know someone who has removed the string and replaced it with a carabiner.
TBH mine don't get them near their feet, what tends to happen is the ball rolls away from them and they follow it. The only time we don't use them is when it is very muddy, they can collect a huge amount of sloppy mud. When it is very wet we tie them to the base of fence posts. No problem catching feet but my many and varied haynets are old and not very strong, would easily tear if pulled at, which is why I don't use the newer stronger small holed nets.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Normally, if I can make it myself I will, but in this instance I'd rather pay the extra knowing the item's fit for purpose, even if it means importing it from abroad.

That said, we're not allowed hay in the fields anyway, so a moot point really! :D

baylover

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to jump on this post. I am looking for something that I can use for the field, I don't want to slow his eating as if its a challenge he won't bother, Does anyone know any companies that sell something sturdy enough to not blow away that can be left in the field?