Hay prices - What are you all paying?

Puppy

Visit site
What are people paying for small bales of hay this year? :)

I've been using large bales of haylage for several years now, but due to having a rather serious change around in horses over the last year, we've bought some small bale hay today, and I'm very pleased with the quality and price. Seems to be the only thing that has actually got CHEAPER when it comes to horses :rolleyes: today we paid about the same price I was paying ten years ago! :)

Kallibear

Visit site
Some seem to be getting it very cheap!

£4.50 round here is a good price for a small bale. Some places are charging £5.50 and individual from the local feed store are £7!. Large round bales are £40 this year, £45 for high quality.

Large bale haylege is £30.

Puppy

Visit site
Blimey! Quite a variation then! I suppose it depends where in the country you are.

I should have said, we're in Cambridgeshire and we had 120 bales, delivered, for £400 :) Plus two chaps to help my mother and I stack it. ;) I'm so please with the quality, and relieved at the price; last time I bought small bale hay I think it was more like £5 per bale!!

kit279

Visit site
Puppy, where did you get yours from? I'd like to get in a little bit of hay in addition to haylage this year in case they have to come in and be stabled.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Some seem to be getting it very cheap!

£4.50 round here is a good price for a small bale. Some places are charging £5.50 and individual from the local feed store are £7!. Large round bales are £40 this year, £45 for high quality.

Large bale haylege is £30.

Kallibear - I got mine for £3-50 a bale from a farmer near Ikea at Straiton but only thing it that you have to collect it from the farm as he doesn't deliver.

Also can get round bales for £25 from a local farmer but unfortunately I don't have anywhere to store large bales.

missk

Visit site
A farmer dropped a load of large round bales in a car park locally with a sign on saying "help yourself" needless to say all gone now.

Dubsie

Visit site
Last year we paid £5 a bale, this year our very nice neighbour let us cut and bale his front 'lawn' (huge), we have our own tractor, bailer etc, so got more hay than we need. Am thinking of selling some from the gate in feed sacks at £5 a go for guinea pig hay, given a small pack in a local shop is more than a whole bale!

legaldancer

Visit site
£3 from next door to Martlin, but I had a couple of acres cut which yielded only around 100 bales three weeks ago, so not the best, but ideal for a laminitic and I paid £100, so £1 per bale! :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
£4.50 per bale of good quality to be delivered and stacked. Last year it was £5.00 a bale so the price has gone down :) although still more expensive than other areas :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
Next year I am determined to cut my own. Well, find someone to cut it for me anyway. Just have to work out where I'm going to put it. That's what stopped me doing it this year!

Littlelegs

Visit site
We're on a farm, farmer does a late cut for the horses which is ideal for my good doers, £2.50 a bale. He did say it might go up to £2.75 this year but he got so much he hasn't bothered to put it up. Otherwise locally its going for anything from £3.50 to £6.