Hay Replacer Anyone use one?

Keltic

Visit site
Which do you use? Do you leave it in a large bucket alongside normal night feed etc? My old TB is not eating as much hay as I would like her too, she eats her feeds fine and carrots/apples ok etc her teeth are fine so I know thats ok. So I want to add something extra alongside her hay what would you suggest is a good hay replacer?
Many Thanks

TGM

Visit site
For a horse that needs more condition and isn't laminitic then I would use either soaked grass nuts or a grass chaff such as Readigrass or Graze-On. Just put in a big tub of it when you put the hay in.

MissTyc

Visit site
My oldies get readigrass and Molasses Free HiFi ... They get the recommended hay replacement allowance overnight, but inhale within about an hour .... Hmmmmm ....

cm2581

Visit site
Basically any unmollassed or low molasses chaff (type will depend on what level of nutrition you require), high fibre nuts (any brand) and unmollassed sugar beet. A combination of any of the above will do although if alfalfa is used it is advised that this does not exceed 0.5% of horses bodyweight. It can be necessary to experiment to see what they prefer.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We needed to feed our oldie (previously a good doer but now struggling to keep weight on) a hay replacer last winter, as she would only eat a small amount of hay. We gave her soaked grassnuts mixed with Graze-on dried grass as her 'breakfast and tea' and a bucket with extra Graze-on. I think you just have to experiment a bit to see how much is the right amount.
This year, we are having to feed haylage, and she is keeping her weight much better and eating up. We are still giving her Graze-on as well as too much haylage upsets her tum.

Keltic

Visit site
Sorry i meant in ratio with her hay, she is 16hh tb 30yo fully retired, just want her to eat as much as possible as she loses weight in winter, so want to maintain her calorie intake.