Hay Steamers - Home Made

Sally-FF

Visit site
Hi

I REALLY want a Haygain haysteamer but i just can't afford it at the moment, i am the WORST person at DIY, please can someone upload a pic of their home made steamers and i will try and copy!

If not are there any cheaper as good versions out there?

thanks

: )

FriendlyCob

Visit site
Hey

I don;t have any pics but a lady who used to be on the yard just used to put the net in a feed bin- the old refuse bin type and pour about 3-4 bolling kettles in it and put the lid, she said that she always felt her horse stoppped coughing afte doing this.

Hope that helps xx

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Really even the worst DIYer could make the one we have.

Buy a Wheelie bin - cut with drill hole saw a 1.5 to 2 inch hole close to the bottom.
Buy a cheap (Blackspore make or similar) wall paper steamer stripper.
Buy a plug timer.
Steal a milk/bottle crate.

Put bottle crate in bottom of wheelie bin.
Take stripper end off steamer unit and thread hose through the hole you cut and wedge pipe upward facing through the crate.

Set your timer up to steam your hay for 45 mins to 1 hour before you want to feed it.
REMEMBER to fill the water chamber of the stripper every time after use!!
Put 2 large haynets of hay in wheelie bin and close lid. Job done. :D
Oh and from time to time tip wheelie bin forward to let out residual water build up out or hole.

Dizzle

Visit site
What do you need it for? Speaking to the hay steamer stands at HOYS if your horse has a long term issue you may be able to claim on your insurance for one.

Surely you just need a hole in the lower section of a dustbin, seal it with erm, sealant, and then pop in a haynet to steam, a rubber seal on the lid might help here.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
What do you need it for? Speaking to the hay steamer stands at HOYS if your horse has a long term issue you may be able to claim on your insurance for one.

Surely you just need a hole in the lower section of a dustbin, seal it with erm, sealant, and then pop in a haynet to steam, a rubber seal on the lid might help here.

no need to seal the hole, steam rises and the hole allows easy water emptying.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Cheaper way is a dustbin with lid, an old plastic chaff bag, brick and a kettle.

Put hay in bag then into dustbin, pour boiling water over hay, fold over bag, put brick on top to seal, put dustbin lid on and leave for 20 minutes; empty out water carefully if you haven't pierced the bottom with holes.
Job done and it smells good enough to eat yourself, or nearly but at a fraction of the price of a named steamer! Only suitable for one horse at a time though.

Marv99

Visit site
I have just used a standard plastic bin that you can buy in b&q and then filled it with a couple of hot kettles of water and put the lid on. The steam doesn't escape and it seems to do the trick.