Haybarn - strange poo!

lizzi2

Visit site
Over the last few days have noticed evidence of some animal (rodent?) in my haybarn - having looked on the internet, it seems that if it was rat it would smell a lot - but this doesn't smell at all. What do people think, could it be water vole and if it is, should I worry about the hay/straw being kept in there? (If it is rat, then of course i'd definitely worry!!)
Thanks

picture.php

Last edited:

lizzi2

Visit site
Thanks guys! Never had them before - am on high ground - you're probably right that wet weather has forced them up from the valley/river! :(

Bourbons

Visit site
Are you sure they aren't mice? The pics are definitely of rat poo, I've owned rats for about 10 years so am a bit of an "expert" when it comes to their poop haha ;)

The difference in poop could also be down to what they are eating too :)

singlefarmer

Visit site
Stinkin rats. They usually come inside in winter months.Cold weather coming end of week so expect more visitors.They usually send a scout along first to check places out.We always keep poison down in sealed bags in pipes in preparation for them.

HappyHooves

Visit site
Wow, that looks like fun! Green sugar cubes.. enormous. But with terriers about, whats the best way to poison the rats without killing the dogs? ... and yes, I know terriers should chase and kill rats but they don't seem interested.
And if you poison the rats, do they go away and hide so that you unearth their bodies later when the smell gets too bad?