Haygain size

Tacobell

Visit site
Hi all ,
Debating purchasing a haygain. I have one horse and I am not sure whether to go for the large 2000 model or the half size 600 model . Has anyone bought one and wished she went for a different size ?

NR88

Visit site
I have the old style 600 and I can fit 6 sections of a small square hay bale in it.

I haven't seen the new style in the flesh but it looks more compact in the pictures. The blurb does say that it can fit half a bale.

hobo

Visit site
I think mine is the old style 600 it was the middle one of the three they had at the time. It is wider but shallower than what the new one looks like. It is plenty for my two full sized horses though at this time of year some days if they have been in all day I will have to run it twice. The hay is good for at least 24hrs so after you fill your nets or put it in the bag you can buy you can pop it on again for later. Mind you filling haynets is much nicer when it is still warm.
As some of the year mine does not get a lot of use I would rather fill twice than go the next size up as the price is a big jump. It depends on your situation I live where my horses live so easy to do an extra steam when needed. Which ever size you go for you will not regret it. We make our own very good hay but with these wet mild winters even the best hay will be getting spores and I like to know I am doing my best for my horses lungs.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ditto the advice to go smaller and steam more often, if necessary, so the 600 should be plenty big enough (and some) for a single horse.

I've got the HayGain One and three horses, lol. They live out of the time, and most of the time I'll only need it on twice a day, usually just the once.

Yesterday, as all 3 had to stand in for most of the day and munch their heads off because the hunt was around, I ran it for about 4 cycles but that is very much the exception.

NLPM

Visit site
I have the 600 and am considering either buying a second or getting rid to buy the next size up - it was fine when I only had two though and more grazing (mine are out 24/7). I'd think you'd be fine with 600 for one horse's daily amount, even if they're in overnight. How many kg do you feed each day?

I don't think you'd need to run it more than once, but if you did I suppose it's worth considering the bigger model if your horse isn't at home, as your YO may have an opinion on how often you can run it (plus the time you'd need to be at the yard).