Haygains - do they last?

TGM

Visit site
Just contemplating getting a bale sized Haygain to make life easier this winter but currently gasping at the cost! Unfortunately we have one horse who needs soaked hay and can't have haylage and I want him to put another horse in the field with him, so will need both to have soaked/steamed hay. I've done the dustbin and wallpaper stripper thing but they do die after a while.

What it really comes down to is how durable the Haygain is, do they go on for years and years? If so it might be worth it. But if it is going to start malfunctioning or falling apart after a couple of years then I can't see it is worth it.

Would like to hear your experiences.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've only had my HG one, the little one, since November 2017 (it was a Black Friday purchase) but I've been seriously impressed with it. I sometimes have it on two or three times a day, as I currently have 3 neds at home. I needed to buy a timer, as it didn't come with one. It takes about 1/3 to 1/2 a small rectangular bale of hay at a time. The Haygain research suggests, and I can believe, that the 5 protruding spikes in the manifiold ensures that the steam penetrates the hay better than any home made version can.

ETA maybe the bigger Haygains have more than 5 spikes, I haven't looked at them.

daffy44

Visit site
I have a Haygain, the one that takes a whole bale, I've had it seven years now, no problems, the horses love it, andits brilliant to sit on when your really frozen after teaching in the winter!

ihatework

Visit site
My old livery yard (30 boxes) used to feed steamed hay to pretty much everything, they had 2 large haygains for the entire yard that were in pretty much constant use and rarely needed any attention

Nicnac

Visit site
Have you looked at the Ascot ones? Cheaper and look good but think the Haygain has the edge. I would love one but can't justify the cost.