Haylage and white mould

rextherobber

Visit site
I have one horse with respiratory issues who can eat small bale haylage without ill effects. However, in this heat, I'm finding, no matter how carefully I wrap it, it's growing white mould within a matter of hours of opening a new bale. Could I spread the haylage out and dry it, to prevent the mould growing, or has anyone got any other ideas? Usually when I wrap it, it lasts for the 2-3 days I need it to, without any problems, so I'm hopeful that this is a short term problem, but it's wasteful and expensive...

oldie48

Visit site
I think it depends on the haylage. I've always made late cut and let it dry a little more and I've done what you are suggesting without any ill effects but I think you need to be careful. I've also cut white mould out of a bale, again with no ill effects. It does sound as if your haylage is quite moist though.

rextherobber

Visit site
It's the Country haylage hi fibre meadow small bale one - this batch does seem a lot more moist than the last lot. If I spread it out to dry and it smells ok and there's no obvious mould, should that be ok? I'm more worried about colic than respiratory issues, (thought the horse in question seems to have the digestive system of a goat and has never (touch wood!) had a colic in her 25 years).

L&M

Visit site
White mould generally does not cause an issue and understand it to be yeast based. It is the black manky stuff you have to worry about.....

I have one on field rest/restricted grazing and I am using small bales atm - on the day I open one I net up the days allowance then spread the rest out to breathe. I am using 'Sweet Meadow' haylage which is relatively dry and as use a bale every 4 days, so not having time to go off.

Unless you have bulk bought, could you change your brand temporarily in the hope of getting a dryer lay? Horsehage tends to be quite dry too but can be on the pricey side.

But I still wouldn't worry about any white mould as long as the haylage still smells palatable - horses aren't stupid and unless absolutely starved, usually reject dodgy forage anyhow.

rextherobber

Visit site
I
White mould generally does not cause an issue and understand it to be yeast based. It is the black manky stuff you have to worry about.....

I have one on field rest/restricted grazing and I am using small bales atm - on the day I open one I net up the days allowance then spread the rest out to breathe. I am using 'Sweet Meadow' haylage which is relatively dry and as use a bale every 4 days, so not having time to go off.

Unless you have bulk bought, could you change your brand temporarily in the hope of getting a dryer lay? Horsehage tends to be quite dry too but can be on the pricey side.

But I still wouldn't worry about any white mould as long as the haylage still smells palatable - horses aren't stupid and unless absolutely starved, usually reject dodgy forage anyhow.
The horse won't eat the Horsehage Timothy one, and this one is less calorific than their other types... there's definitely no black stuff, but the white mould smells funny, (a bit like nail varnish remover?) And yes, have stocked up, I bought bales singly to see how we got on with it beforehand, but all of those bales were drier than this. Will do as you suggest, net up what will be used today and spread the rest out on pallets. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: L&M

PurBee

Visit site
Yeast myelium will be very quick to grow in dark warm conditions. If its a wetter bale batch than usual it’ll also give the moisture required for fast yeast growth.
While its white and fresh growing it usually safe for horses to consume. Ive had white yeast start to turn grey, and become mould infected while wrapped - that i throw out big generous chunks wherever that occurs.

Spreading it out will dry it and stop the yeast growing. Mycelium needs warmth, oxygen, moisture and dark to grow, so by spreading it out to dry will stop yeast spores germinating and growing all through the bale, if you’re not using 1 bale a day.

Its not usual to have yeast grow dense throughout a bale though - usually pockets here and there, or at the corners - and if this batch you have smells weird, and is vastly wetter than usual - smells very vinegary (over-fermented) - id normally be asking supplier for replacement, as that type of haylage is like sauerkraut - a very fermented product - and suddenly feeding loads can cause some gut upset - so best to feed it mixed with other hay or dry it out as you suggest, and test them on it. Drying it out will stop the fermenting process continuing in this heat. Dry it out where there is fresh air passing through, rather than spread out in a closed stuffy feed-shed.

If you have a pallet load of this wetter stuff, consider asking for replacement if its vastly different than usual. The bales where yeast have been an issue for me, are from suppliers who re-package big round wrapped bales into 20kg small bags - the repackaging process means theyve introduce oxygen and thats what yeast needs to start to grow. Wetter haylage is more prone to this.

Im on a very dry haylage at the moment, when opened, so its super dry, almost like hay, after 1 day being opened. Mine have always been fine on various brands of haylage that have dried out a fair bit after opening - i dont bother re-wrapping for 3 day use of 1 bag.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
in this heat, I'm finding, no matter how carefully I wrap it, it's growing white mould within a matter of hours of opening a new bale.

You shouldn't be rewrapping haylage, especially not in this weather. It makes it sweat and restarts fermentation. The whole bale should be opened to the air, when I have always found that it will last a week.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am using quite wet Horsehage for Rigsby, he has a bale every 2 days or so. I open it and use from the wrapper, but don't re-wrap. No issues with white stuff. It is in a cool hay store though.

rextherobber

Visit site
You might find some info here useful:

https://forageplus.co.uk/know-horse-haylage-good/

If the whole lot smells highly pungent and not like other bales of that brand, id get it replaced by supplier - id rather have under-fermented, than over fermented haylage.
Thank you, that's really helpful, it is just the corner bit of mould, the bulk of the bale is ok, and smells normal.

rextherobber

Visit site
You shouldn't be rewrapping haylage, especially not in this weather. It makes it sweat and restarts fermentation. The whole bale should be opened to the air, when I have always found that it will last a week.
I was always told I had to rewrap it to stop it fermenting! Wish I'd known...the time ( and haylage!) I've wasted! Thank you.

rextherobber

Visit site
I am using quite wet Horsehage for Rigsby, he has a bale every 2 days or so. I open it and use from the wrapper, but don't re-wrap. No issues with white stuff. It is in a cool hay store though.
Thanks for your reply, I will move mine to the cooler store and not re wrap!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
When I used large bales of light haylage as in it was quite dry not the real wet sticky stuff I had to unwind it all to stop it heating up in the summer or it would get white mold on it.

I would pull it all open and let it dry out preferably in a cool area once it's been opened and not cover or wrap it at all.

rextherobber

Visit site
When I used large bales of light haylage as in it was quite dry not the real wet sticky stuff I had to unwind it all to stop it heating up in the summer or it would get white mold on it.

I would pull it all open and let it dry out preferably in a cool area once it's been opened and not cover or wrap it at all.
Thank you!