haylage mould?

Solstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 April 2007
Messages
1,976
Location
Yorkshire
Visit site
i can remember reading a post ages and ages ago about the white mould on haylage bales.
I *think* it was said that its ok to feed the white mould, as long as it doesnt smell off?
is this true?
i've always just pulled the mould off and not fed it.
 

AmyMay

Situation normal
Joined
1 July 2004
Messages
66,284
Location
South
Visit site
I always pull any off - but I do find that if there is any nasty stuff in there by mistake the horses usually leave it anyway......
 

suef1

Active Member
Joined
13 November 2007
Messages
42
Visit site
As I have always understood it, white mould (as you say as long as it doesnt smell off) is OK to feed as its just part of the fermentation process. It's when it's black mould that it's dangerous and must not be fed. Think thats right (hope anyway cos thats what I've always done!!)
 

Cop-Pop

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 October 2007
Messages
8,667
Location
Glos, UK
Visit site
I pull most of it off but leave a little bit in - they eat some of it but not all of it so the horses obviously know what they can and can't eat
smile.gif
It's my first winter feeding haylage too so I was getting a bit paranoid picking everything out until YO pointed out how small the bale was getting....
blush.gif
 

Faithkat

Well-Known Member
Joined
29 April 2004
Messages
4,111
Location
down South, edge of New Forest
Visit site
White mould is fine :

Feeding Haylage
Once a bale has been opened it should be used as quickly as possible as exposing it to air means that there is now the potential for moulds to develop. Mouldy haylage should not be fed to horses. Providing the moulding is not severe it can still be fed to cattle. If it is very mouldy, it should be disposed of. Sometimes on opening you will see tiny white/cream round ‘colonies’ on the grass blades and stems. They have a creamy consistency to the touch, not powdery or fluffy. These are yeasts, not moulds, and will not do any harm to horses as they do not produce spores. Many (expensive) horse probiotics actually contain yeasts.

Taken from : http://www.haylage.biz/Haylage%20Facts.html
 

Judziah

Well-Known Member
Joined
18 September 2004
Messages
321
Location
Bedfordshire
eumenides.deviantart.com
I know this sounds a little paranoid but does anyone have any pictures of 'acceptable mould'?

My partner went out today and bought a brand of haylage we've never used before, on opening the first he found lots of greenish white mould. I wasn't there but we had loads of problems previously with bales covered in mould, which we got replaced. I've always been told that 'mould spots' are fine...but by the sound of it, the entire bale was covered. He wasn't sure whether to feed it, so opened the next and found the same again.
He said it still smelt pleasant and sweet

Should we feed it??
confused.gif
 
Top