Haylage, soaked hay or steamed hay for allergies

magichorse

Visit site
Which would you say is most effective for horses with dust allergies- haylage, soaked hay or steamed hay? I seem to recall that soaking doesn't actually get rid of the spores just enlarges them? Does this mean that soaking is less effective than other methods?

All thoughts greatly apreciated :)

bumblelion

Visit site
Either haylage or steamed hay. I had to get the bagged hi fibre haylage though as one of mine is a fatty and cost me a fortune last year so this year I'm getting hay and steaming it like I used to! The horses love it too, especially when it's still warm in the winter months!!

magichorse

Visit site
Thank you very much! I do find soaking hay a real pain, especially in winter. Mine puts on weight easily (like me!!!) so had been looking at horsehage blue, but it is more expensive than hay :eek:

bumblelion

Visit site
Thank you very much! I do find soaking hay a real pain, especially in winter. Mine puts on weight easily (like me!!!) so had been looking at horsehage blue, but it is more expensive than hay :eek:

That's what mine were on! Cost me a fortune! Just be careful as once you start them on haylage, it's so difficult to get them back onto hay mid season! I tried and the fatty had none of it! Why don't you try steaming the hay, nowhere near as horrid as soaking hay and then if you don't find it effective then go onto haylage?

magichorse

Visit site
That's what mine were on! Cost me a fortune! Just be careful as once you start them on haylage, it's so difficult to get them back onto hay mid season! I tried and the fatty had none of it! Why don't you try steaming the hay, nowhere near as horrid as soaking hay and then if you don't find it effective then go onto haylage?

I think the steaming may be worth a try- I'm getting fed up of smelly water down my boots, and he is still coughing a bit even with the soaking :(

Lol at them getting a taste for haylage- it does smell so much nicer than hay. My lad tends to inhale whatever is put in front of him, though!

Thanks! :)

be positive

Visit site
I dont know where you are but check round your local farms and see if they do haylage in small bales, many do.I can get second cut meadow grass haylage which is not so fattening and much cheaper than Horsehage.I now use big bales but not suitable if you only have one to feed.

magichorse

Visit site
I dont know where you are but check round your local farms and see if they do haylage in small bales, many do.I can get second cut meadow grass haylage which is not so fattening and much cheaper than Horsehage.I now use big bales but not suitable if you only have one to feed.

I'd always dismissed farm haylage as I thought it'd be too fattening. The livery yard/ farm across the road from us might be worth a try- I didn't realise second cut was less powerful. Big bales no good for me as only one horse, but it'd be worth asking. Thank you!