Haylage 'v' hay - my tb has gone proper nuts !

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Comments! Please! Had new horse 14 weeks now. 7/8ths TB, lovely chap, laid back, calm, manners to die for and love him to death. Whilst waiting for my hay delivery to come (arrived last night), I thought I'd buy a bag of MVF Haylage for him to munch on whilst he is stabled part of the day. Our other horse adapts the same routine so has also had a couple slices to munch on as well. The haylage was first given Thursday morning. Both horses ridden and both behaved as per normal. Friday, - both horses had day off. This morning (Saturday) = ride from hell. The gelding was an absolute arse, prancing sideways, forwards, backward, head up in the air like a camel and snorting like a boar pig and generally just not listening to me at all. My daughter's Mare was also acting a bit out of character, being a lot more lively and also not listening. We only went out for a hack and I tell you, I've never been more relieved to get home in one piece !!! :eek::eek::eek: We are only a small yard and every horse's needs are catered for individually, but I cannot think for the life of me what has made them a pair of looneys apart from the bloody haylage! Any comments or similarities would be so welcomed. Thank you muchly ! :)

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I've had that happen to me. Half TB turned into a bucking machine after a week on a rich-ish haylage. I'm a little surprised it happened so quickly, but yes haylage can turn well behaved horses into turbo nutters for sure.

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Thanks Magnetic Sparrow - I feel a little better reading your comments. Yes, he turned turbo nutter within 48 hrs! I swept out their stables tonight along with the remnants of the haylage. Back to old fashioned meadow hay me thinks. Thanks