Haylege?

kellyeaton

Visit site
i usually have hay but have not been able to get hold of any and my horse is prone to weight gain so i have to a bale of haylege i am soaking the haylege to get the goodness ou is that the same as soaking hay/

BFG

Visit site
I was always told that you shouldn’t soak haylage but then 2 girls on our yard soak it and have done for years. One of the horses has had colic surgery (2 years ago) and is prone to Lami and i vet told her to soak it so it must be ok.

Just don’t soak it over night, they tend to do it for about 20 mins.

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Yes you could do that ... also you could give it to him in a small holed hay net to make it last .

Are you feeding from a big round bale ? or just one small bale ?

Until you get more hay in .... I can't see it doing any harm, Just obviously don't give him as much as you would hay .
smile.gif

TicTac

Visit site
Why not buy a bale of high fibre, low sugar haylage. I have never heard of anybody soaking it before! Just give less and bulk out hard feed with plenty of chaff. Personally I wouldn't worry about weight gain too much at the moment in thease current weather conditions unless your horse is standing in all day, everyday in a 400 tog rug and not doing anything!