HB506 for 17hh

Foxy O

Visit site
I've been looking at purchasing a second hand trailer for my 17hh horse, she is a narrow Friesian
I noticed the HB506 has the same internal height as the HB511, does anyone else travel a 17hh horse in an HB506 or can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't?
I only have a budget of about £3500 and my car can only tow 1800kilos hence the HB510 is out of the question.

Sealine

Visit site
The length between the breast bar and breach bar is also a consideration in addition to height and width. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 506 and 511. I had a 511 for my 16.2hh who wears a 6'9 rug. I did compare all the size at the time but I can recall the difference in stall length.

Annagain

Visit site
I had to change from a 505 to a 510 (very similar dimensions to the 506/511) when I got my 16.3 boy, he fitted in it but couldn't balance properly and he really struggled to turn to come out. He's quite short in the body too so fitted in better than most horses his size but still not well enough.

nagblagger

Visit site
Just a musing, if a trailer has been built for a maximum of a 16.2hh, you use it for a larger horse (whether they 'fit' or not) and something happened, would your insurance cover you?

Foxy O

Visit site
You’d be fine towing a 510 with just the one horse in if your car is a good tow vehicle. The trailer weighs 1000kg with the partition in and your horse isn’t going to weigh more than 700kg max, I’d think. So don’t rule a 510 out.
The weight of the 510 is 1235kgs, which would mean I would be about 100kgs over :(

Foxy O

Visit site
I had to change from a 505 to a 510 (very similar dimensions to the 506/511) when I got my 16.3 boy, he fitted in it but couldn't balance properly and he really struggled to turn to come out. He's quite short in the body too so fitted in better than most horses his size but still not well enough.
I hadn't thought of the length, thank you :)

Foxy O

Visit site
Also @Foxy O I have practically looked at every trailer in the country lately and just bought a really nice 510 for my ever growing youngster.
If it is the towing weight you are worried about, how about a bateson ascot or deauville? Or cheval liberte xl ?
I have never tried a bateson but I have heard good reviews, I will take a look. The cheval seems to be above my budget

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I have never tried a bateson but I have heard good reviews, I will take a look. The cheval seems to be above my budget
There was a nice cheval xl in black for £3995 when I was looking. It was the complete other end of the country for me 😂 it was on ebay.

Dont look at the bateson derby they will be too small. 😊

Foxy O

Visit site
The unladen weight of the 510 is 1000kg. The height may be the same as the 506 but the width and length will be better for a 17hh in a 510.
Thanks I have contacted ifor williams to confirm it for me as the trailer ID plate has a higher weight shown on it. If it is 1000kgs then I need look no further :)

AandK

Visit site
Thanks I have contacted ifor williams to confirm it for me as the trailer ID plate has a higher weight shown on it. If it is 1000kgs then I need look no further :)

Another one to consider is the Bateson Ascot (I have one and love it!) the unladen weight is 925kg.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I travelled my 17.1 chunky wb in a 505 without the partition no issues. Currently travel a 16.2 in a 505 classic without the partition no issues. Just depends on how the horse travels.

nagblagger

Visit site
I know the legalities of weight, towing vehicle etc. But I still don't understand why people would want to travel their beloved horse in a trailer that is not built for it's height, surely 16.2hh on the spec, is the maximum height it can legally take, or what is the point of it being documented?
Not trying to be argumentative but want to learn the facts if anyone can advise.

marmalade88

Visit site
Do you have a friend with one you try your horse in?

I travel two 16’3 comfortably in my 506. Plenty of head room, cob has plenty of width to, and 6’9’’ rugged one plenty of length.

irishdraft

Visit site
Aside from the type of trailer do you know how much your horse weighs ? Presumably if she's 17hh & narrow it's going to be around 600kg . If your car only has a tow weight if 1800kgs you will be edging up to the limit. It's not only about weight it's also braking & stability. I normally use a Shogun 3.2 for towing at the moment I have a hilux 2.4 and I can feel the difference ie not much power for hills etc Personally I wouldn't tow with only 1800kg & I have a 511 & one 16.2 hh .