He failed :( :( :(

Firewell

Visit site
Well I had my gorgeous new horse that ive had on trial for the past 2 weeks vetted and it wasnt good
frown.gif

In fact it went from bad to worse
frown.gif

First of all the vet checked his lungs and he was a bit bunged up, the vet thought he had a touch of COPD. Not a prob I thought, just needs to be managed. Then he checked his back and he was sore around the muscles where the back of the saddle goes, again not a problem, nothing a few sessions from the wonder man Gavin Scofield cant solve.

Then he checked his eyes... The left one had some sort of Cataract on it, not the nasty kind but the vet thought it looked very unusual. He said he was concerned about this but that as far as he could see it wasnt affecting his sight and may be a congenital problem that could or could not get worse. I was feeling slightly worried at this stage but the vet said it wouldnt stop me doing what I wanted but may affect his resale value. OK I thought, perhaps a point for re-negotiating the price.

Then we took him outside to do the trot up. He trotted up nicely and the vet thought he moved really lovely. Then he felt his legs and all was good. Then he did the flexion... Arti started playing up at this point, fidgiting and trying to pull his leg away. The Vet did the flexion test on the near fore for no more than 20 seconds if that and then when I trotted him away he was hopping lame
frown.gif
. The vet then did the off fore, again held the leg up for not more than a few seconds, I trotted him off and if possible he was even worse on this leg , really lame
frown.gif

It was at this point with me nearly in tears that the vet terminated the vetting and wouldnt proceed any further. Basically he couldnt have failed more miserably.

So I rang up the dealer and we are taking him back tomorrow
frown.gif
frown.gif
Im very very upset, hes a beautiful beautiful horse, all 16.3 of stunning golden chestnut and so kind and genuine hes really looked after me these past two weeks.

So there we go, horses I guess. Hes being sold on behalf of a client so I hope his owner has him back and gets him investigated before putting him up for sale again. He deserves that at least.

The hunt starts again
mad.gif

Firewell

Visit site
Yes, thank goodness for vettings I guess. You would never have known to look at him or ride him that anything was wrong. He moves beautifully and has cool, hard legs. No inflammation or anything. The vet was surprised as I was I think!

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I am really sorry to hear this - I am sure you will find the right horse for you soon.
At least you are sending him back, a friend had a horse on trial and it failed the vet and she kept him as she had fallen in love! She had nothing but trouble with him and it cost her a fortune due to exclusions on the insurance.
I do sometimes wonder if people offer trial in the hope that you will keep the horse when it fails..... (not saying this was the case with you, but does make you wonder)

AutumnRose

Visit site
Oh no, so sorry to hear this hun. Still in the long run it's better to find out these things now. It'd be much harder if things went wrong in a few months when you're even more in love with him

Horrible as it is now, there will be more lovely horse out there i promise...................
smile.gif
smile.gif

prudunce

Visit site
wasnt a 15.3 chest geld was it from surrey/sussex way???who was the dealer ps?. just that i know of 1 which i sent awway to be sold but it failde vettings so i left it with dealer as i owed more in livery costs

ecs

Visit site
just thought you might be interested in this, it happened to me 17 yrs ago, I was selling a 6 yr old horse it failed the flex test miserably like yours very lame for quite a number of strides. About 2 yrs later i bought a lovely horse passed vetting with flying colours. Now to get to point, my very sound horse developed problems in 2000, arthritis of a sort. I saw the mare that failed the vetting about 5/6 yrs ago still as sound as the day i sold her, no history of any lameness.

Firewell

Visit site
Prudence he was advertised at 16.1 but was more like 16.3. I think its all honest, I dont think anyone knew.

Maid marion I see your point! We brought a horse 20 years ago that failed on check ligament damage and he had a partial larangeal collapse or something. Anyway he passed away at the grand old age of 26 last year, having not one lame day in his life.
The problem with this one is that the front legs will be excluded on the insurance policy and he was so lame I just cant take the risk of potential vets bills.
Theres no way my conscience would allow me to ride and compete him without further investigation
frown.gif
frown.gif