He hates rugs!

Rockman

Visit site
So I know it's a strange time of year to be asking as they'll be coming out of them soon but my horse hates having rugs on, hes always objected to them but this winter has been the worst one yet. I think it's because he was completely naked last summer without even a fly rug as I don't like them. But whenever I put his rugs on he shakes his head, ears flat back and threatens to bite. I can't understand why he hates them so much, they are not too tight and are definitely not rubbing anywhere and even his mane hasn't rubbed out this year!

Does anybody have any suggestions on what could be making him hate them so much? Someone suggested maybe he gets a static shock off them but he has the same reaction to anything be it a fleece, stable rug or turnout.

I'd love to leave him unrugged all year but he's usually full clipped and I'm a hard core groomer so he doesn't have tonnes of natural oils in his coat. He doesn't ever seem too hot in his rugs either.

Any opinions would be more than helpful! Thankyou in advance!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
how do you put them on? do you just chuck it on with the straps flapping about all over the place, like I do? if so, fold it into 3, put in on gently and unfold it, so he doesn't get "donked" by any fly away straps!

and make sure he's not too hot, he might associate it with being too warm!

Rockman

Visit site
how do you put them on? do you just chuck it on with the straps flapping about all over the place, like I do? if so, fold it into 3, put in on gently and unfold it, so he doesn't get "donked" by any fly away straps!

and make sure he's not too hot, he might associate it with being too warm!

In all honesty it depends what day it is haha if I'm in a rush then I'll just fling it on but usually put it on pretty nicely and rearrange it slowly and then fasten it as loose as I can without it being dangerous!

The heat thing is what I was thinking about but he's normally a pretty cold horse and has never seemed too hot.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
you don't really want to feel warmth under the rug! my mare is also very warm! she's 30 yrs old and has been out 24/7 in a medium weight all winter! she's far too warm for anything else! my gelding is 4 and has been out in a light weight all winter! he had a medium on twice and came in sweating both nights! so its actually been a pretty mild winter, give or take a few nights!

I'd much rather under rug than over!

I found the best way to check his temp, is a finger in his ear, if he will let you! if that feels warm then he is warm etc!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Daft question but could a previous or alternative owner/handler have put them on then rearranged by pulling them forward pulling all the hair with it? I had a livery's horse start biting when I rugged it and couldn't work out why until I saw livery rug it one weekend and pull rug forward into position rather than slide it back

Rockman

Visit site
you don't really want to feel warmth under the rug! my mare is also very warm! she's 30 yrs old and has been out 24/7 in a medium weight all winter! she's far too warm for anything else! my gelding is 4 and has been out in a light weight all winter! he had a medium on twice and came in sweating both nights! so its actually been a pretty mild winter, give or take a few nights!

I'd much rather under rug than over!

I found the best way to check his temp, is a finger in his ear, if he will let you! if that feels warm then he is warm etc!

Thankyou for your help, he has been in a medium weight most of winter but has always felt sort of a neutral temperature. The ear thing is a good tip thankyou for that, I'll check him when I go up in the morning.

Daft question but could a previous or alternative owner/handler have put them on then rearranged by pulling them forward pulling all the hair with it? I had a livery's horse start biting when I rugged it and couldn't work out why until I saw livery rug it one weekend and pull rug forward into position rather than slide it back

This is something that could be true, hes an ex racer so does have a few quirks so it could be possible that he's had them put on that way before but I have owned him for 2 years so would he not grow out of that and get used to it not being done like that now?

flirtygerty

Visit site
Thanks spotrock, I think you have just explained why my mare has started cow kicking, when I've been adjusting her fleece at 6 am before work, I have just been pulling the bum forward followed by the chest, oops, time to get up a bit earlier I think and a soory to my mare

Leo Walker

Visit site
does he hate rugs full stop or just putting them on? Your first post rang faint bells about ulcers, and as an ex racer its much more likely! My little cob cannot abide being warm, and would rather be out fully clipped in a no fill turnout. He did spend a couple of weeks out naked a month after being clipped as any rug I put on, just got ripped off! I've learn to listen to him now!

This is what he did to his brand new 200gm MW rug 24 hours after a fresh full clip!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152772136563667&l=4868ca8961

Cherrydan

Visit site
Usually ex racers have all manner of things thrust on them, it's odd that this behaviour is happening, so I must assume he has been shocked in some way.
Anyhoo, gently does it.
I had a horse who hates rugs, so tied him up gave him a bowl of feed or hay and made it clear, until he accepted the rug, he was going nowhere. Cue snorts, pawing, head turning, ass swinging... I didn't rise to it at all, just gently let him smell it, stroked him with it, put it on his back, took it off, let it fall from his back deliberately, all manner of sillyness.
Well, it was the sound of the rug, he hated. So, after swishing and the like, he got used to it, he had to.
It took me an hour and ten minutes, but I made it clear, quietly! I was going nowhere. If he tried to run, or challenge me, a leadrope flick (with no contact) put him back where he needed to be.
That's how I deal with them all the time, quiet persistence.
Good luck, and don't swing it onto him, lay it on his withers, gently do the chest, fold it back onto his back, gently on his rump, then down to the leg straps or cross surcingle.
I have a saint who I could fling it on, but I respect doing it gently, respectfully and always in that order.
Good luck my love, don't give in, they win then don't they?x

Rockman

Visit site
does he hate rugs full stop or just putting them on? Your first post rang faint bells about ulcers, and as an ex racer its much more likely! My little cob cannot abide being warm, and would rather be out fully clipped in a no fill turnout. He did spend a couple of weeks out naked a month after being clipped as any rug I put on, just got ripped off! I've learn to listen to him now!

This is what he did to his brand new 200gm MW rug 24 hours after a fresh full clip!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152772136563667&l=4868ca8961

thankyou! He has had quite a lot of typically ulcer behaviour in the past but had him scoped and the vet was satisfied that all was fine. So I'm starting to wonder if he's just a grumpy old man Haha! What a naughty pony spoiling such a nice colour of rug! They're so funny with their protesting sometimes!

Rockman

Visit site
Usually ex racers have all manner of things thrust on them, it's odd that this behaviour is happening, so I must assume he has been shocked in some way.
Anyhoo, gently does it.
I had a horse who hates rugs, so tied him up gave him a bowl of feed or hay and made it clear, until he accepted the rug, he was going nowhere. Cue snorts, pawing, head turning, ass swinging... I didn't rise to it at all, just gently let him smell it, stroked him with it, put it on his back, took it off, let it fall from his back deliberately, all manner of sillyness.
Well, it was the sound of the rug, he hated. So, after swishing and the like, he got used to it, he had to.
It took me an hour and ten minutes, but I made it clear, quietly! I was going nowhere. If he tried to run, or challenge me, a leadrope flick (with no contact) put him back where he needed to be.
That's how I deal with them all the time, quiet persistence.
Good luck, and don't swing it onto him, lay it on his withers, gently do the chest, fold it back onto his back, gently on his rump, then down to the leg straps or cross surcingle.
I have a saint who I could fling it on, but I respect doing it gently, respectfully and always in that order.
Good luck my love, don't give in, they win then don't they?x

I think this may be my next course of action and just reach an understanding with him of I will take the time to put it on gently all the time but the deal is that you drop the attitude haha! I have recently been in touch with him trainer who had him for the 10 years of racing and she said he was known for his temper tantrums so this is probably him saying he'd rather be naked! I can spend all day there on Saturday which gives me the perfect opportunity so that can be our job and achievement for the day! (I hope you noticed my positive mind set there hahaha) thankyou for your reply :) x

Leo Walker

Visit site
thankyou! He has had quite a lot of typically ulcer behaviour in the past but had him scoped and the vet was satisfied that all was fine. So I'm starting to wonder if he's just a grumpy old man Haha! What a naughty pony spoiling such a nice colour of rug! They're so funny with their protesting sometimes!

I actually had tears in my eyes with that one! It was such a beautiful rug and a complete bargain, and typically when I went back to buy another one they had sold out. Hes such a git! :lol:

Rockman

Visit site
I actually had tears in my eyes with that one! It was such a beautiful rug and a complete bargain, and typically when I went back to buy another one they had sold out. Hes such a git! :lol:

He's a very lucky boy if he got a new one, I would have been very upset with mine haha! That's typically normally they have every size but they one you need! But we love them haha!

Leo Walker

Visit site
My garden is a rug graveyard! We strip them off and while I KNOW they need to be binned I cant bring myself so I put them on the patio furniture for the day when I feel up to repairing filthy trashed rugs :lol:

Cherrydan

Visit site
And when you succeed, believe me its a great feeling to know you won, lol. I must admit, that day I felt like the best horse trainer in the world!.... Obviously I'm not, but the look on his face, well if horses could talk he would have said, "alrite mum, you win, can we stop this now"...I also loved the way he ran away from his rug, as if trying to get away from it!!! Lol, ERM, its stuck to your back! Nutter! X

diamonddogs

Visit site
We have a horse on our yard like this. He's getting on a bit (mid 20s I think) and he's retired now. He's fine in his stable wearing a rug, and he sometimes can be turned out in one, but then he'll have a total panic attack which takes him weeks to recover from, so these days he just goes out naked. His coat is quite thick for a TB but certainly not shaggy, and he copes just fine. Which is more than can be said for his owner who has to scrape four tons of mud off him every day!

Rockman

Visit site
And when you succeed, believe me its a great feeling to know you won, lol. I must admit, that day I felt like the best horse trainer in the world!.... Obviously I'm not, but the look on his face, well if horses could talk he would have said, "alrite mum, you win, can we stop this now"...I also loved the way he ran away from his rug, as if trying to get away from it!!! Lol, ERM, its stuck to your back! Nutter! X

So I spent 2 hours and 10 minutes yesterday arguing with him over rugs haha, he gave in through boredom I think! But I managed to have an uneventful time this morning changing him into his turnout which was amazing! We'll see how long it lasts! Hopefully he's got the hint haha!

We have a horse on our yard like this. He's getting on a bit (mid 20s I think) and he's retired now. He's fine in his stable wearing a rug, and he sometimes can be turned out in one, but then he'll have a total panic attack which takes him weeks to recover from, so these days he just goes out naked. His coat is quite thick for a TB but certainly not shaggy, and he copes just fine. Which is more than can be said for his owner who has to scrape four tons of mud off him every day!

That's exactly what I want to avoid haha! I don't have time to ride if I have to scrape all the mud off him so really a rug is the most practical thing! Hopefully I'm going to win the war as well as the battle!