He keeps lifting his back leg - Advice please

vicm2509

Visit site
As a rule Baron never kicks, ive never even seen him do it when play fighting with other horses.

Went to dressage comp on saturday and on returning I put him in his stable and as I went to remove tail bandage he lifted his back leg and tried to cow kick, he kept doing this every time I walked beind him, although he didnt kick out backwards. He had been stamping his feet quite a bit when we loaded him home but I didnt take much notice tbh
blush.gif

Anyway I had a good prod and feel for heat and the only time I noticed anything was when I prodded around his stifle area had he nodded his head slightly, he didnt react at all the second, third or fourth time I prodded it and there was no heat.

Anyway trotted him up and sound so presumed hed just banged it in the box. But he keeps kicking out with this leg, mainly when im changing his rugs or washing his hooves/legs. He isnt resting the leg, appears sound, does not react when I tough it and seems no different to ride. He does not pull faces or anything or kick as if hes trying to kick me, ie if im stood behind he will kick to the side and if im at the side he kicks behind, he doesnt really kick out as such just lifts it really high and flicks it about.

Ideas please?

vicm2509

Visit site
This long

100_0069.jpg

But come to think of it I did cut off about 2 inches on saturday morning, which was the same day he stated his antics
confused.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We have a mare that quite regularly swings her back legs around. Not out of any malice - but she just does.

We have definately noticed that the longer the tail - the worse she is.

Not sure if it's of any help. But you never know........

vicm2509

Visit site
I think I will tie it up this afternoon for a while as im off work and see if it makes a difference. Best to rule that out before I start going into panic mode thinking its far worse than it is.

It is just the one leg though, but it could be this as thinking about it hes only doing it when I move his tail, i.e change his rugs, take off bandage etc.

I do keep his tail quite long I have to admit, he carries it well when ridden so it looks daft if I cut it shorter.

vicm2509

Visit site
Thanks AmyMay, I will do a few 'experiments' this afternoon with his tail and perhaps get him on the lunge and see what he is like on tight circles just to be on the safe side
grin.gif

Its just strange as he has never done it before until after our dressage comp on saturday
confused.gif