he wont look where hes going!

kittyandnewt

Visit site
hi all, have a bit of a funny one. ill try and keep short as possible.

just wondered if this happens anyone else or have any experience... my 6yo ish has an issue concentrating during his sj. its getting pretty frustrating as he has bags of ability but im afraid to move him up a level til we get this sorted, were currently competing at 1m, but jumping 1.10 at home easily.

he gets hot and after 12mth of flatwork and 1ft high poles were finally able to keep cool and canter round lovely and bouncy and all that... so there we are 5 strides away from next fence when someone in warm up will knock a fence/ his buddy shouts at him from car park/ a cow moo's 16miles away, (you see where im going with this) he takes his eye off completely and then oh my god where did that come from, even though he knew it was there, resulting in either cat leaping or jumping into middle of it. (as we did last saturday, ended up sitting like dog).

so, does anyone know of any exercises i can do at home, either on flat or over fences? i dont know what to try anymore! one thing is hes not spooky, he never takes eye off water tray or bright fillers, and over xc has locked on from half mile away. all ideas hugely appreciated. maybe hes just not that bright... ;) cheers folks.

Sol

Visit site
Sorry, no help, but does sort of remind me of my gelding who you can point in a straight line at a fence - 50% of the time he will get there and go 'who put that there?!' despite jumping it. I swear he comes to jumps with his eyes closed ;) :p

Ah well, I shall bump your post anyway, hopefully someone can help! :)