Head desk!

Clodagh

Visit site
Chatting to a customer today who was buying some chicken for her dog. She has an old lab and wanted another dog so rehomed an 18 month old Belgian Shepherd. She is elderly and very overweight.
She has had him for a month but is going to send him back as he is so destructive. She said he digs in the garden and and chews things in the house...No! Getaway! I asked if he was better after a walk or some training and she said she doesn't walk her dogs, they just play outside.
Poor dog. Is this why reputable rescues don't rehome to anyone?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yep, head desk.

My step niece is taking delivery of a springer spaniel puppy on Saturday. She lives in a rented flat and works full time - and is in work on Monday (so no time taken off to settle pup). But it’s ok, because ‘hopefully’ dad will come and visit, and walk it when it’s had all it’s jabs. I didn’t sleep very well last night worrying about it.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Tbh the rescue that supplied her with that dog wants a kick up the ars*, this was never going to end well so I hope they choose his next owner carefully. You can see why reputable rescues are fussy and you wouldnt believe how stupid some people are, they seem to think owning a dog is a right not a privilege.

meleeka

Visit site
Yep, head desk.

My step niece is taking delivery of a springer spaniel puppy on Saturday. She lives in a rented flat and works full time - and is in work on Monday (so no time taken off to settle pup). But it’s ok, because ‘hopefully’ dad will come and visit, and walk it when it’s had all it’s jabs. I didn’t sleep very well last night worrying about it.
I know someone who bought a Springer pup and thought it was acceptable not to walk it as she threw the ball in the garden a few times a day. Because the dog wasn’t destructive it didn’t seem to matter that that it was neurotic and had terrible separation anxiety. Why get a Springer and not a toy breed?! I looked after said dog and after two days she was a reformed character and did nothing but sleep once indoors. A far cry from her usual hyper self.

asmp

Visit site
It’s unbelievable that a rescue would do that .
A rescue turned down my SIL for a Labrador because she worked one hour a day at the school at the end of their road .
It’s seems they have very different policy’s

About 20 years ago we were refused a cat (admittedly not a dog!) from the Blue Cross because my husband was in the army. We got one from the CPL and he moved around with us, even to Germany at one point and sadly was PTS when he was in late teens. The Blue Cross assumed we'd just dump him when we moved - I'm not sure they'd be allowed to say that these days.

Clodagh

Visit site
This is assuming that she told the rescue the truth, a lot of people BS the application process

This, also I don't know that is was a decent rescue. On the plus side she did say they had told them it would have to go back if it didn't work out, and they didn't say no.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Yep, head desk.

This really upsets me, how can people be so stupid and selfish?

palo1

Visit site
Oh that is desperately sad. :( I feel that particularly as I am currently sleep deprived and thus a bit weepy!! Having taken over a year to find my pup, taken 2 weeks off my part-time job (3 hours each morning), arranged all my personal appointments to be scheduled either weeks in front of pup arrival or in several weeks time, arranged online shopping deliveries for several weeks etc etc so that I can ensure that other stuff doesn't get in the way it is frustrating really to think that people still think it's ok to get a puppy or a rescue dog and then carry on as normal. I know life happens and I certainly don't think only people who don't work should have dogs but at least initially it is surely common sense (and self preservation) to make time to adjust, bond and ensure a dog is settled, in a routine that works for everyone and that any immediate health or behavoural problems are dealt with. Spaniels are so willing, so eager to please their people too that it is particularly poignant to think of a spangle pup more or less left alone for ages, not that it would be alright for any breed. :(

Clodagh

Visit site
I was upset all evening about it. It’s a complete disaster in the making. I give it max six months before she’s looking to regime it.

Is it her first dog? Hopefully she will get fed up - or her neighbours will - sooner rather than later.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i cant believe that someone would rehome a belgian shepherd and not walk it.....and the poor springer will be climbing the walls.....when i bought my puppy, i gave my loan horse 2 weeks off just so he would get a good start and be allowed to gradually get used to being left alone(with my other dog) when i got my lurcher puppy, i took her to work with me everyday as i worked in a yard and she could free run most of the time so not left alonem she was tied up by my stable if i was dealing with a horse but she could see everyone and was part of the action so just laid down and watched.........there are many people who shouldnt be allowed to have dogs

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Chatting to a customer today who was buying some chicken for her dog. She has an old lab and wanted another dog so rehomed an 18 month old Belgian Shepherd. She is elderly and very overweight.
She has had him for a month but is going to send him back as he is so destructive. She said he digs in the garden and and chews things in the house...No! Getaway! I asked if he was better after a walk or some training and she said she doesn't walk her dogs, they just play outside.
Poor dog. Is this why reputable rescues don't rehome to anyone?
My god. I’m a comparatively fit middle aged bird & my Mali cross is pretty intense. I love her & enjoy her to bits, but when I’m fat & old no way would I own another.

conkers

Visit site
The RSPCA near me saw fit to re-home a 6 year old Patterdale to a lady who cannot walk very far or fast. Apparently he never settles in the house ........

Molasses

Visit site
oh dear!
I find rescue policies so depressing, we were refused at several as we work and rent, they didn't take walking time commitment into an account at all. I have 2 both from different but small local rescue types, the big well known charities turned us down, the small local ones were super and sensible about it all, but i guess you have to trust what someone fills in on the forms.

Molasses

Visit site
The RSPCA near me saw fit to re-home a 6 year old Patterdale to a lady who cannot walk very far or fast. Apparently he never settles in the house ........

wow, that's worrying that the RSPCA would do that,
i have a patterdale and if he wasn't hacked out with the horse and run for miles most days he would be uncontrollable, why anyone would see fit to rehome a dog like that to someone who can't walk is madness.

Karran

Visit site
Poor Spanner!

I'm half-heartedly looking for a friend for Mrs Spaniel, the rescue people were all over me when I said we do agility, flyball, regularly hike and she hacks out with me and the horse.

Minute I mentioned that I work fulltime and they couldnt get rid of me quick enough! So depressing!

pippixox

Visit site
Rehoming criteria seem to vary rediculous amounts!
I tend to think- surely better a dog left at home while you work (to pay for the dog!) but with mornings, evenings and weekends (and possibly a lunch time let out) full of fun. Rather than being stuck in a kennel except for maybe a walk a day if lucky?!
But similarly- not a very active breed given to someone who can’t meet their exercise needs. Even if they are home all day for company the dog will go crazy.

I love my dogs, but they are both very active and I openly tell friends to not get a dog! As they don’t realise the scale of commitment, they just love when my dogs come around for a few hours

Anyone can buy a puppy....my friends crazily ended up with a second puppy from the same litter a few months later, as it was returned to breeder after a few months when the couple that bought him realised keeping him in a crate while they worked all day he was too crazy when they got home! German pointer.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
When we adopted one of our Labradors, she was 8ish and massively overweight, her owners at that time had allowed her to get fat because they said that if she was fit she would need more exercise and they didn't have time for that! They had quite literally overfed her to make her fat so she would tire more easily. The over feeding was intentional. She weighed 42 kg when she came to us but lost the weight and she really loved to exercise. To my mind exercise is as much about mental stimulation as physical effort and the mental stimulation tires their brains and helps them to rest. I can't imagine what sort of life she would have had if she had not been removed from that situation. She was with us until very recently when her deteriorating health meant we made the heartbreaking decision to put her to sleep at almost 17 years of age. In the 9 years she spent with us she lived a whole life, her time before that just doesn't count, her life had not begun. I actually pity her previous owners because they never witnessed the amazing dog she was, brave, intelligent, loving, mischievous, loyal and mine. 😍😘

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I think most of my enjoyment comes from being out and about with the dogs. I feel good after a long walk, they seem to feel good and chill out after. Having Bo, who really doesn’t like lead walks along the roads, we go out in the car every morning and have found some lovely parks and nature reserves near by.

Karran

Visit site
Same! It's been a great reason to get out of London and go explore some country and history around Kent!
I think most of my enjoyment comes from being out and about with the dogs. I feel good after a long walk, they seem to feel good and chill out after. Having Bo, who really doesn’t like lead walks along the roads, we go out in the car every morning and have found some lovely parks and nature reserves near by.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yep, head desk.

That’s just going to make me cry. We got ours at the start of the summer holidays both times, so they had 6 weeks of company/training.

My lot are rarely left more than 4 hours and if they are, Aunty Barbara comes in and watches TV with them on the sofa with her and feeds them endless biscuits. So depressing to think that people are so stupid.