Head Down

postoak

New User
Visit site
My TB wants to run with his head down, always. I see few other horses out hunting that do this and, frankly, find it disconcerting. Is this just his own personal thing or something I can train him out of, or do I just need to retire him from hunting?

Happy Hunter

Visit site
Sometimes its schooling. Sometimes is when the horse wants to evade your hand and go at 'his' speed. Sometimes its when they are geninely tired and 'pull' on your hands to balance themselves.

Does he do it XC schooling?

My friend had jolly good results with a Cheltenham gag (2 reins) with a similar problem.

postoak

New User
Visit site
We have no XC facilities near us, so I can't say. He does it in the arena, though, and when he is fresh. But he does it even more when he is tired.

I.M.N.

Visit site
Mine does this, he always has, he's not evading, tired, pulling, etc its just his way of going. It was disconcerting to start of with but now I'm used to it I just leave him to it, he looks up when he has to such as jumping. I did swap him to a hanging snaffle (from a loose ring) which lifted him slightly but I figure if he's happy and comfy then so am I.

postoak

New User
Visit site
It's just disconcerting to be moving at speed over rough ground and not see any sign of your horse in front of you. :eek:

I had to look up the Cheltenham Gag. I already hunt with something like this with only one set of reins. It seems to me, if anything, this would *lower* his head. But, I hasten to add, he also goes head low in his regular D-ring snaffle.

I wonder if his original owner (I got him when he was seven, two years ago), trained him to go head down. Even walking back in he has his head down and on the bit. Someone actually commented on this last hunt, remarking how he was in a nice frame but I'm not sure he really is -- I don't think he was especially collected, he just keeps his head in that position.

Last edited:

JenHunt

Visit site
it sounds to me like it's schooling in your horse's case Postoak... try lots of transitions, and some basic lateral movements to get him to use his hocks and lift himself off his forehand. :) it could be that it is partly just how he is built or how he goes, but there's always hope for some improvement.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My horse does this XC. It is an evasion and also her way of going. I also get the feeling that she has spent a lot of her early ridden years with her head strapped down in draw reins. She pulls down to unbalance me and pull me out of my seat so she can go faster.

So far a Cheltenham gag has been the best solution, and it does lift her head because the bit rides up if I have to pull on the gag rein. Other gags, such as the Dutch gag (3 ring), which she arrived in, encourage her head down.

postoak

New User
Visit site
Thanks, I hope it is training. I know some people use a device that gives the look of the horse being on the bit by holding the head down. I'm hoping this was used on him and that's why he is this way. I see lots of TBs and they all run with their heads held up, so I don't see why he shouldn't be able to eventually. His conformation is pretty much text-book TB.

marley and danni

Visit site
hi my exracer does this when on a hack with large number of horses (never done it hunting) and he does it to get away from me or if hes really tired he wants to lean on me...

if hes tired and leaning i give him the reins and sit in the saddle to support him..... if hes doing it to get away from me then i lift my hands up and one sharp half halt and his head comes right back up and i have control again...

i have tried several bits and he does same thing in all even in a waterford which hes currently in for schooling and jumping and hacking in small groups. hes in a pelham for large groups hacks at a faster pace but i very rarly have to use curb which brings his head up contray to popluar belif it lowers head in my TBs case it brigs his head up because of the istant pressure and he stops :) ace breaks in am emergancy.

:)