Head shaking and raised

bananaboots10

Visit site
Unsure if this is veteranary or not but I have my own vet coming out on Friday but just wondering if anyone has gone through this before. My 5 year old cob hasn’t been ridden since 3rd june as he was snatching and uncomfortable, he is in very light work and I got the physio out. It seemed he was a bit bruised round about the shoulders and came to the conclusion it was the new girth, saddle fitter recently suggested changing to a non elastic. I think he is getting worse instead of better. He is very nervous and unsettled throwing his head up whenever he trots and canters even when he is just in the field with his friends. Had the dentist at him end of january and all was good. Physio twice over the past 8 weeks and the saddle fitter/bridle fitter all round about the same time. Vet is coming out Friday but just wondering if anyone has experienced this. Picture of my lovely boy throwing his head

Attachments

• 49488C51-9900-4411-9895-4691C4A43B39.jpeg
    49488C51-9900-4411-9895-4691C4A43B39.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 14

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I know but I cant actually add a video so was just asking if anyone experienced anything like this.

I think you have to wait for your vet tbh.

The behaviour you describe smacks of pain somewhere; I sadly have experience of trigeminal headshaking - and really hope that this isn't what your horse is exhibiting. But lets not go there yet.

What have you been doing with your cob?? What bit is he ridden in? As this could just be about a bitting issue. Not wishing to be critical, but it is possible to do too much too early with these cobs...........

I'd see what the vet says, and if you are still left guessing, I'd consider turning away till the autumn or so and see how he comes back. Sometimes they just need a rest.

bananaboots10

Visit site
I think you have to wait for your vet tbh.

The behaviour you describe smacks of pain somewhere; I sadly have experience of trigeminal headshaking - and really hope that this isn't what your horse is exhibiting. But lets not go there yet.

What have you been doing with your cob?? What bit is he ridden in? As this could just be about a bitting issue. Not wishing to be critical, but it is possible to do too much too early with these cobs...........

I'd see what the vet says, and if you are still left guessing, I'd consider turning away till the autumn or so and see how he comes back. Sometimes they just need a rest.

Thank you for your reply, he is in a snaffle and he is in very light work, couple times a week hack or light schooling. In no hurry with him so if he needs turned away thats not a problem, just very worried.

nutjob

Visit site
My headshaking horse had to wear a dark coloured fly hood with a nose cover to keep him comfortable outside. It might be helpful to keep a diary of the weather conditions and whether he is better or worse each day. If it's to do with tack in some way the weather shouldn't make a difference but a true headshaker can be affected either by bright sunlight, wind or rain.

bananaboots10

Visit site
Th
My headshaking horse had to wear a dark coloured fly hood with a nose cover to keep him comfortable outside. It might be helpful to keep a diary of the weather conditions and whether he is better or worse each day. If it's to do with tack in some way the weather shouldn't make a difference but a true headshaker can be affected either by bright sunlight, wind or rain.

thank you for reply, I will keep a diary thats a great idea. I have a fly hood sitting for him but not tried it yet. I have put a nose net on him today to see how that goes.

baran

Visit site
I would try the nose net in the stable first. My poor wee pony went berserk. Vet reckoned the velcro straps caused her agony.

GoodBoyNice

Visit site
Be very careful of the fly hood.I had a nasty experience yesterday when i turned my stallion out with the hood on for the first time.I have got him used to it in the stable and he was fine but totally different when grazing.
I let him out yesterday with the hood on to graze and all was calm and i went in home.About 10 mins later i had this feeling to go check on him as i felt something wasnt right.
He was going mad in a panic as the hood had come off his ears and rolled down like a blindfold over his eyes he couldnt see where he was going.I went to him and called him he didnt know where i was as he had this damn blindfold on - i used my voice and went to him calming him and he tried to come to me but was in such a panic he was trotting round fast.
I shouted GET IT OFF TAKE IT OFF GET IT OFF...........Hes always been very intelligent and he stood still dropped his head put a front leg out and he rubbed his head up and down his leg and off came the hood !!!! PHEW !
He was upset by it but hes fine now and i will never use a hood again - just a normal fly fringe.

bananaboots10

Visit site
Update: after having the vet take a look at him today, she isn’t happy with his saddle even though was only recently checked, so going down the route of that first to tick that off and then take it from there.