Head Shaking

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
My horse has started shaking his head when ridden. It wasnt too bad at first but it got worse after teh weekends XC. He hasn't had his teeth done in 2 years, so that is going to be checked. But seems he was ok on the way round the course, didnt shake his head.

Does it sound like its the Bit? They are going to try a hackamore over the weekend and if he continues to shake then see what it could be, but book the Equidentis in the mean time

maddielove

Visit site
i would get the teeth checked, maddie had awful headshaking when i went to try her, she threw me off and everything.
see what he's like when you his cheeks, if he doesnt like this..i guess it would be teeth.
good luck x

iwtownsley

Visit site
my mums horse did this and it had something to do with the bit being uncomfortable in the mouth, and he was sensitive, so we now have a happy motuh in him and hes fine!

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Just found a web page on Headshaking!! I think its been brewing up as he used to always try and rub his nose on hie front legs when ridden, and this is one of the signs!! And sometimes when jsut standing in the field and he got excited he whould have like the sudden jerk of his head, then be fine, even when no flies about.

Poop! This will reduce his value won't it? Will it make him dangerous to ride or just a bit frustrating?

Salcey

Visit site
Don't despair, my mare headshakes and yes it can be frustrating and sometimes scary but like any other condition it can be managed. I was scared stiff when I read some of the literature about it but a muzzle net has done the trick. My mare seems to go through phases, it doesn't really tally with the seasons either, but at the moment I can ride normally without a net.
She snorts a lot, seems very sensitive to tastes such as mint, garlic (she snorts loads although likes the tastes) and she too tries to rub her nose on her knees a lot, especially when its been raining. (those rides can be interesting!)
I would invest in a net if I were you and see if makes a difference.