Head torches and riding

pottamus

Visit site
Would a horse get used to and does anyone ride wearing a head torch on in the dark? Just thinking of ways to keep my fat boy slim exercised as the mornings draw in...thinking perhaps the field with a head torch on...one of those led ones that has a bright glow rather than a torch beam that could be irritating.
He is used to me using one on the ground as I have no lights and poo pick in the dark with one...but what about from above???

Maisy

Visit site
I'm not really sure how much use a head torch would be tbh.....You could try it and see I suppose, but I'm not sure it would be very successful!!

EstherYoung

Visit site
I find them more of a hinderance to be honest - yes they light up one area in front of you but they make everywhere else seem really dark in comparison. Whereas if you don't use one your eyes do adjust. Horses have very good night vision, too.

If you use the light of the moon that's plenty enough to see where you're going.

parsley

Visit site
I sometimes ride in the dark and my horse is fine about it. It makes me feel a bit sea sick though as you can't see the ground as you are moving along! I would think a torch would just make it difficult to see the bits that aren't illuminated.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Go to your nearest bike shop and look what they have, my son does extreme mountain biking which involves riding over rough country in the dark, and the headlights are as good as any car. The light is made to fix firmly with a battery in your pocket, and would be just the job.
I would still wear a vest with flashing lights as well, as they really do give motorists lots of warning (adds 9 seconds protection I think).
Although the lights aren't cheap my son's is going strong after he's fallen on rocks etc!

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I used to use one - complete with them attached to the stirrups and some of the stick on ones on her knee boots. Combined with all out hi-viz we really did look like a christmas tree
tongue.gif

somethingorother

Visit site
Used to use one on my loan pony but only out in the woods, worked wonders as he wasnt the cleverest with his feet so i liked to see where we were going. He never once minded it, and if anyone was going to cause a fuss about it, it would have been him!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Ooh get all us night riders!! I ride with a Petzl in the winter on evenings when the moon is AWOL. I use it to cross the lane and then normally turn it off. Mine is quite a decent one, so does cover quite a distance (I can owl watch in the trees!). As others have said, they can 'exclude' objects outside the area of light, as your eyes don't adjust to the dark, so I try to do without and switch it on for safety when I'm on the Byway or lane. Don't forget a fixed red light to the rear. I also have a flashing vest, too. Very festive!