Head tossing......

Supertrooper

Visit site
My pony does this a lot, either when you're in front of him and he's following, or when he's coming towards you.

He was a stallion until 2yrs ago. Am I right in thinking that it's a stallion behaviour?

Or any other ideas?

Merrymoles

Visit site
So does mine - I've always called it "coltish" behaviour but I generally just ignore it unless it's particularly threatening, when a sharp "oi" reminds him who is in charge. We think mine was gelded late.

I'm sure there is a wealth of information somewhere on the tinterweb but it's never particularly bothered me so I haven't bothered looking it up!

Merlin11

Visit site
My highland pony does this - thought it was a highland thing. He is only 4 and gelded not that long ago. He tends to do it to show off to the other horses or if not getting his way.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
my mare used to pull and move her head a lot! I found out that her saddle had a broken tree and it was pinching her back! once she was used to her saddle not hurting she stopped doing it!!

also my 4 yr old gelding will chuck his head about when hes not happy, before he rears

Dry Rot

Visit site
Some of mine (Highlands) do it, mostly mares, and I've always assumed it is annoyance (usually at being asked to do something they don't want to do!).

Procrastination

Visit site
My mare does this when she is frustrated, annoyed or excited. I have always looked at it as her way of expressing herself. My mini Shetlands also do it when they are excited :)

applecart14

Visit site
My lil lady flings her head about when she's frustrated.

Yes when my horse is cross tied he flings his head about quite a lot - I think that might be frustration as he'd rather be left to have a snoop about the washbox and mess around with things, whenever his cross tie has come undone he starts sticking his head in the sink and moving the dirty mugs around or flinging things off the shelf because he is curious.

Sometimes he tosses his head up and down to try to tell me something, and I notice that if do something at the sink and he suddenly starts doing it he will make a point of looking directly at me and then I know he wants a drink of water (I've taken to giving him a bucket of tepid water after exercise as I don't want him to risk an impaction this time of year as he can be a colic prone horse).

He doesn't do it any other time apart from when I do up his curb chain and then he will fling his head up and down as the chain makes a noise which he seems to enjoy, but again this could be frustration as he doesn't want the chain on (its never tight).